Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533862 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21435 on: July 03, 2018, 04:46:23 pm »

Guess we need to clear some space in the budget for The US Government 2.0, and he's hoping Europe will allow us to deescalate our security commitments so he doesn't just straight up have to negate our security arrangements with our allies.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21436 on: July 03, 2018, 05:46:11 pm »

It would be nice is America being stupid lead to Europe building a proper unified army. I can hope.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21437 on: July 03, 2018, 05:49:18 pm »

It would be nice is America being stupid lead to Europe building a proper unified army. I can hope.
Fourth Reich vs Amerikkka
meme it

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21438 on: July 03, 2018, 06:02:32 pm »

I have no idea if Trump is expecting them to have a military that has the same ratio of those in the military vs total population as we do or what.

As for unified EU army, I've heard articles saying that theres already NATO and there's no need for it. I'm all for Europe building up their own defenses and relying less on the US, but I'm not for completely alienating Europe. It would be funny in a terrible way if that's what leads to Europe deciding to band together closer. Obama tried to do the tough love towards Europe, but now Trump is doing it without the love part.

Also, Macron tried recently asking Merkel about the military stuff, but it got shot down.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21439 on: July 03, 2018, 06:06:22 pm »

There's definitely some concern over what a unified "EU" military would look like and who they'd answer to. Currently NATO is the ideal situation and without causing uproar, I imagine it won't change much even if Trump pulls out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21440 on: July 03, 2018, 06:12:00 pm »

I thought maybe it'd be a military alliance similar to NATO, probably end up being too similar since most members would already be in both.

Certainly easier to work with a system that's already been around a while than try to create one from scratch.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21441 on: July 03, 2018, 06:16:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure his implication is that the worst case scenario is the world we actually live in.
Except the annihilation of sapient life probably won't occur as a result of corporate actions until Trump finishes privatizing our nuclear stockpile and someone accidentally tells Siri or Alexa to nuke Moscow.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21442 on: July 03, 2018, 06:25:01 pm »

I thought maybe it'd be a military alliance similar to NATO, probably end up being too similar since most members would already be in both.

Certainly easier to work with a system that's already been around a while than try to create one from scratch.
Nah, NATO is a military alliance, the EU wants a unified military. Where NATO does not seek to govern its constituents, the EU does; NATO coordinates militaries, the EU will seek to incorporate them

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21443 on: July 03, 2018, 06:34:08 pm »

Nah, NATO is a military alliance, the EU wants a unified military. Where NATO does not seek to govern its constituents, the EU does; NATO coordinates militaries, the EU will seek to incorporate them

NATO would be a good template to work with though since it already has to deal with exactly the same problems that an unified EU military would have.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21444 on: July 03, 2018, 06:35:57 pm »

NATO would be a good template to work with though since it already has to deal with exactly the same problems that an unified EU military would have.
Except the whole seizing control of foreign militaries thing

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21445 on: July 03, 2018, 06:47:20 pm »

Someone I know specifically voted Leave because he didn't want a European Army¹. And is already on course to be disappointed, and if Europe comes closer (with or without the Nationalistic splinterers at the edges) then he'll probably shout about how he was right the whole time and thank the fates that he's out of the system that probably wouldn't even have happened without him voting Leave (especially if Trump was tipped over the balance by being one of the domino-effect effects of it).

I have avoided speaking politics with him for at least a year, now, though, so I'm probably not aware of his latest few  perpendicular tracks of logic.

¹ And didn't like immigrants (the non-European ones, who are somehow Europe's fault). And, for some reason, was complaining about already paying tariffs within Europe, which apparently would go away when we were outaide. And something about them coming to take his antique guns. Strangely, he never touched on the actually sane arguments from that side, just the Project Fear-Of-Remaining stuff, very selectively. Memes were made for him.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21446 on: July 03, 2018, 06:56:57 pm »

Someone I know specifically voted Leave because he didn't want a European Army¹. And is already on course to be disappointed, and if Europe comes closer (with or without the Nationalistic splinterers at the edges) then he'll probably shout about how he was right the whole time and thank the fates that he's out of the system that probably wouldn't even have happened without him voting Leave (especially if Trump was tipped over the balance by being one of the domino-effect effects of it).
Anyone can plainly see the EU only moves in one direction. If ever-closer union centralisation means "no fam don't centralise" there must be something lost in translation; the EU common defence policy and plans for an EU army can only be seen as plans for an EU army, made long before the UK EU referendum >_>
The UK staying out of the euro did not stop the creation of the euro, not does it seem to be that the UK could have stopped the EU from forming its EU army with or without incorporating the UK. The beauty of the European system is that it has long-term planning, and so can make plans which outlive the short reigns of the American Kings

¹ And didn't like immigrants (the non-European ones, who are somehow Europe's fault).
EU external -> Schengen Area -> Calais -> Dover -> Into yer jerbs

And, for some reason, was complaining about already paying tariffs within Europe, which apparently would go away when we were outaide. And something about them coming to take his antique guns. Strangely, he never touched on the actually sane arguments from that side, just the Project Fear-Of-Remaining stuff, very selectively. Memes were made for him.
I believe he heard the argument that we pay the price importing from out international trade partners whilst we're within the EU and would be able to lower them outside and applied it erroneously to EU-UK trade. Also remind him Westminster's far more likely to decommission his antique gun than Brussels is, Brussels is far more concerned with Soviet gunblyat flying all over yurop

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21447 on: July 03, 2018, 06:59:57 pm »

This should probably move the the Europe thread at this point. Not much American politics left in the discussion.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21448 on: July 03, 2018, 07:01:06 pm »

This should probably move the the Europe thread at this point. Not much American politics left in the discussion.
All news is American news
Especially in regards to Ukraine & the American pivot to Asia

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21449 on: July 03, 2018, 07:04:30 pm »

Yeah, not in that tangent.

All news is American news
Especially in regards to Ukraine & the American pivot to Asia

True, there's huge overlap all over the place, but the discussion on an EU military has firmly left American politics, unless you want American politics involved in it or something.
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 3511