Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1430 1431 [1432] 1433 1434 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3591207 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21465 on: July 05, 2018, 02:52:31 pm »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21466 on: July 05, 2018, 02:53:57 pm »

Scandal infused EPA director Pruitt resigns. About time!
Good riddance to bad rubbish. Seriously fuck that guy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21467 on: July 05, 2018, 03:03:13 pm »

Unless he goes and recycles one of his cabinet members who have already been confirmed by the Senate, the battle for the EPA nomination is going to be FIERCE because the Democrats will want to hold the nominee accountable.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21468 on: July 05, 2018, 03:26:11 pm »

Since there's no director we can just dissolve the EPA right
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21469 on: July 05, 2018, 03:33:34 pm »

(I was going to post about his 'honorable resignation', but you got there first. So, instead:)

Trump may be going to be flying high above parliament square, thanks to his favourite London Mayor!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21470 on: July 05, 2018, 03:34:24 pm »

Wow, I wonder if that lady actually got to him. Do these people really live in such thick bubbles?

But yeah, I don't want Scott Pruit to resign. I want him strapped to a brazen bull fueled by his burning money.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:45:45 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21471 on: July 05, 2018, 03:36:33 pm »

(I was going to post about his 'honorable resignation', but you got there first. So, instead:)

Trump may be going to be flying high above parliament square, thanks to his favourite London Mayor!
Huh, I didn't know MLKJ got roads/squares named after him even in Britain!  That's unironically pretty cool.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21472 on: July 05, 2018, 03:57:45 pm »

On Twitter former UKIP leader Nigel Farage said the plan was "the biggest insult to a sitting US President ever".

That's the entire point.

Wonder how much it would cost to fly the thing in DC?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21474 on: July 05, 2018, 06:10:16 pm »

Wow, I wonder if that lady actually got to him. Do these people really live in such thick bubbles?

Almost certainly not. It appears that, in addition to Pruitt being one of the last names on Kelly's hit list before resigning, Trump felt his constant scandals were a distraction (read: they limited Trump's ability to control the news cycle.)

The upcoming SCOTUS nomination was probably a factor; it's in line with Trump's pettiness and narcissism to assume that ousting Pruitt will incline recalcitrant GOP senators to confirm whatever arch-conservative nightmare he can find as a personal favor to him.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21475 on: July 05, 2018, 06:42:09 pm »

Since there's no director we can just dissolve the EPA right
Sadly there's an interim director and he's basically as much of a piece of shit as fucker pruitt. Just probably less blatant about the petty corruption and ethics violations.

also the EPA'd be more or less fine if we could excise goddamn republicans out of it
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21476 on: July 05, 2018, 08:51:16 pm »

Hey, here's a bizzare, impossible piece of radical political fiction.

I've seen articles in favor of court packing and articles offering solutions other than court packing. Plus I've seen various articles saying that the Dems need to start fighting dirty and do stuff like make DC and Puerto Rico into states and split California into multiple states (lets see how that proposal that got on the ballot goes in November), among other ideas.

I think court packing would be the wrong way to go as it would be ripe for escalation, and as mentioned in the article, it would be difficult to do. Not to mention that court packing is often done in authoritarian states or illiberal democracies.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21477 on: July 05, 2018, 09:28:32 pm »

There's not really room to escalate more when it comes to court packing, at this point, tho'. Actually increasing the numbers is pretty much all that's left, thanks to the goddamn GOP, who are going to escalate regardless. Can make the argument it's a good idea to head 'em off at the pass, if it's an option.

Any case, I'm fairly ambivalent on the subject. Much as I'd prefer norms to stay normal, a certain set of regressive fucks have taken a decades long dump on that option, so... yeah. Whatever ends up putting out the dumpster fire and unscrewing the bastard GOP out of political and, more importantly, administrative relevance, I'm probably going to be pretty okay with.

Preferably no outright murder or conservative levels of domestic terrorism, mind. Still a ways off from being that far gone, probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21478 on: July 05, 2018, 09:48:49 pm »

Conservative levels of domestic terrorism? Liberals and the left in general were the ones doing a lot of domestic terrorism in the 70's, so, there's really no such thing as 'conservative levels of domestic terrorism', just 'domestic terrorism'. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant here.

As the article PTTG linked mentions, Democrats would need to have a serious majority in both chambers of congress and a Democrat President in order for that to work. There are suggestions like doing term limits, but pretty much any solution, short of outright, in your face, 'you play hardball, lets see how YOU like it when it's done to you!', is going to require a massive deal of 'working with each other' and 'bipartisanship', and there is precious little of that, and the Democrats, when they take the House and Senate (and theoretically, the Presidency in 2020) won't feel like cooperating with the Republicans very much.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21479 on: July 05, 2018, 11:00:34 pm »

Conservative levels of domestic terrorism? Liberals and the left in general were the ones doing a lot of domestic terrorism in the 70's, so, there's really no such thing as 'conservative levels of domestic terrorism', just 'domestic terrorism'. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant here.
I don't understand how "there was left-wing terrorism" necessarily means that the phrase "conservative levels of domestic terrorism" is meaningless, and your argument doesn't explain it.

Also thank fucking christ Pruitt is gone. I'd complain about how long it took... and indeed, I probably should, but I'm just happy SOMEONE got rid of him eventually. We'd moved safely from tragedy to farce a long freaking time ago.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1430 1431 [1432] 1433 1434 ... 3514