Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1431 1432 [1433] 1434 1435 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3580123 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21480 on: July 05, 2018, 11:14:47 pm »

Conservative levels of domestic terrorism? Liberals and the left in general were the ones doing a lot of domestic terrorism in the 70's, so, there's really no such thing as 'conservative levels of domestic terrorism', just 'domestic terrorism'. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant here.
I don't understand how "there was left-wing terrorism" necessarily means that the phrase "conservative levels of domestic terrorism" is meaningless, and your argument doesn't explain it.

Also, I don't think leftist examples of domestic terror are very well comparable to the modern conservative types.  I know one of the most popular examples people will point to is the Weather Underground.  But I just read through their wikipedia page to make sure I was remembering correctly, and they never killed a single person besides a couple of their own in an accident.  That's a far cry from mass shooters and people plowing into crowds with their cars that is mostly carried out by conservative domestic terrorists today.  Why do people keep bothering to make these false equivalencies, when they're shown to be bogus every time?  Violence and shrill intolerance are not anywhere near equal on both sides, and have not been in any living memory.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21481 on: July 06, 2018, 01:25:08 am »

The Army of God, a christian extremist terrorist group, has been operating the United States since the '80s.

Oh, and the KKK has been around since 1860 (though it was supressed for decades and the modern Klan emerged from a revival in 1915).

But yeah, heh, those liberals sure are scary and dangerous, aren't they?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21482 on: July 06, 2018, 06:52:33 am »

Conservative levels of domestic terrorism? Liberals and the left in general were the ones doing a lot of domestic terrorism in the 70's, so, there's really no such thing as 'conservative levels of domestic terrorism', just 'domestic terrorism'. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant here.
The single largest source of domestic terrorism in the US has been from conservative sources, far as I can recall for longer than I've been alive. Even when leftwards sources have upticked, rightward ones have remained dominant. There very much is such a thing as "conservative levels of domestic terrorism", though I guess you could call it rightwing, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21483 on: July 06, 2018, 07:40:12 am »

It's hard to see how a left-wing terrorist organization would function; if recent history is any indication, within a day they'd splinter into sects more devoted to sarcastically tweeting about each other over semantic differences in their manifestos than actually doing anything.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21484 on: July 06, 2018, 07:48:55 am »

PETA endorses the ALF and their actions, when they're not killing animals themselves, and given the number of babies the stupid bitch has killed I'd be hard pressed to find a better category to put Jenny McCunty under than domestic terrorist: she pushes stupid political bullshit under the guise of even more amazingly stupid bullshit and we've got whooping cough and measles outbreaks again thanks to the movement which she happily serves as a public face for which is pretty fucking culpable in my book.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21485 on: July 06, 2018, 09:03:57 am »

https://www.theroot.com/trump-creates-denaturalization-task-force-to-pursue-d-1827372139

And now America's going after "Wrongly naturalised" citizens.

So uh... When are the gas chambers gonna be going up? You already have the camps.
Let's not encourage them. :(

I know this isn't the most recent link, but I wanted to note that what was strange about this to me was that they already knew and we're working on this group of people, but apparently anti-immigration points and running through the list faster are worth spending thousands of dollars on ~2,500 people.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21486 on: July 06, 2018, 09:06:36 am »

Love, scriver~

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21487 on: July 06, 2018, 10:12:37 am »

https://apnews.com/38334c4d061e493fb108bd975b5a1a5d

Looks like some immigrants are also being kicked out of the US army for little reason beyond them being immigrants with some vague "Security threat" covering.

They failed background checks. This is completely ordinary. It happens to citizens too. Fake news.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21488 on: July 06, 2018, 10:13:02 am »

Damn beaten to it
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:01:40 pm by redwallzyl »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21489 on: July 06, 2018, 10:23:50 am »

Looks like some immigrants are also being kicked out of the US army for little reason beyond them being immigrants with some vague "Security threat" covering.

They failed background checks. This is completely ordinary. It happens to citizens too. Fake news.

I agree with all Shazbot says minus the last two words. I hate this modern urge to throw 'fake news' at anything we disagree with. That said, I think the import of this coming alongside a half dozen other things about disenfranchising and marginalizing immigrants is the real issue. It is a concerning trend.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21490 on: July 06, 2018, 10:40:40 am »

You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

The events described in the article are quite real, as are the additional obstacles and checks Trump added to programs like MAVNI (edit: and the suspension of MAVNI itself) that have created the present backlog. Similarly, the utility of immigrant recruits is statistically demonstrable, and the need for the specialized lingual and cultural expertise that expedited citizenship programs are meant to provide is also clearly evident.

Unless we are going to simply annihilate everyone in every operational theater we enter -- and however appealing genocide might be to Stephen Miller and his ilk, it's as counterproductive as it is unconscionable -- we need to talk to the people living in our war zones, and many of the people able to do that are, quelle surprise, related to some of those people. Our grounds for accepting or rejecting those recruits therefore need careful consideration to avoid a situation in which our operational needs and our security concerns are mutually exclusive. Present evidence suggests those two concerns are unnecessarily at loggerheads in part because Trump has frustrated the admission of immigrants into "his" military.

News is not fake simply because you cannot reconcile it with your politics.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:45:47 am by Trekkin »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21491 on: July 06, 2018, 10:56:09 am »

Last I checked, vaccine denialism was remarkably bipartisan.

More urgently, the trade war is on.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21492 on: July 06, 2018, 11:09:27 am »

More urgently, the trade war is on.

Pounded in the Butt by My Own Tariffs
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21493 on: July 06, 2018, 12:25:34 pm »

Fake news is the new code word for "I am a complete tool."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21494 on: July 06, 2018, 12:38:21 pm »

Fake news is the new code word for "I am a complete tool."

No personal attacks is an easy rule to fall afoul of friend.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1431 1432 [1433] 1434 1435 ... 3513