Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 ... 2466

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1473656 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21585 on: July 10, 2018, 05:02:06 pm »

Hold on, is someone bad-mouthing Sargon of Akkid, Son of La'ibum, Cup-bearer to Ur-Zababa? He who was king of such repute that for two thousand years was the epitome of rulership throughout Mesopotamia?

EDIT: Getting back on topic, here's fivethirtyeight with the data on abortion polling.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:50:09 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21586 on: July 10, 2018, 05:04:14 pm »

So, you're saying that Supreme Court picks should be judged solely and entirely by the people who nominate them, and their own words and records should be ignored?

His own words, from a previous confirmation hearing.

Mr. Kavanaugh: Senator, on the question of Roe v. Wade, if confirmed to the D.C. Circuit, I would follow Roe v. Wade faithfully and fully. That would be binding precedent of the Court. It's been decided by the Supreme Court--

Senator Schumer: I asked you your own opinion.

Mr. Kavanaugh: And I'm saying if I were confirmed to the D.C. Circuit, Senator, I would follow it. It's been reaffirmed many times, including in Planned Parenthood v. Casey.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21587 on: July 10, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »

Hold on, is someone bad-mouthing, Sargon of Akkid, Son of La'ibum, Cup-bearer to Ur-Zababa? He who was king of such repute that for two thousand years was the epitome of rulership throughout Mesopotamia?

The dude chopped some guy's head off and gave the sword a cult of popularity, and everyone knew Gilgamesh was better anyways.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
  • [Social_Democrat_Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21588 on: July 10, 2018, 05:11:15 pm »

EDIT: Getting back on topic, here's fivethirtyeight with the data on abortion polling.
That's a theme in Republican positions. They present everything as binary. Guns being the other prime example. So they go super extreme pulling all the people in the middle in. Nuanced positions are alien to them. The all or nothing thing is really annoying.
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate to suffering"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21589 on: July 10, 2018, 05:12:42 pm »

Hold on, is someone bad-mouthing, Sargon of Akkid, Son of La'ibum, Cup-bearer to Ur-Zababa? He who was king of such repute that for two thousand years was the epitome of rulership throughout Mesopotamia?

The dude chopped some guy's head off and gave the sword a cult of popularity, and everyone knew Gilgamesh was better anyways.

Henceforth we shall judge kings by the number of beheadings they have personally conducted. All in favor?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21590 on: July 10, 2018, 05:27:25 pm »

Henceforth we shall judge kings by the number of beheadings they have personally conducted. All in favor?

Charlemagne: "Aye"

Harald Sigurdsson: "Aye"

Basileios II: "Eyes"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21591 on: July 10, 2018, 05:47:46 pm »

So, you're saying that Supreme Court picks should be judged solely and entirely by the people who nominate them, and their own words and records should be ignored?
Considering I didn't say that, no. If he had a record that strongly indicated he would be willing to defend abortion rights, that included more than words, it might offset the flat fact he was nominated by someone who explicitly wants the previous ruling squashed and is hostile to the general subject (if largely by proxy in the repeat adulterer's case). If there's more than words behind his record, I'm not aware of it. Roe isn't the only means of attack, either, if he actually held true to that quoted statement.

Though I'd trust the world of a trump nominee to SCOTUS on their willingness to oppose republican political goals about as far as I could throw them, sitting in my bed multiple states away from the capital. We were promised partisan activist judges, and until proven otherwise that's what I'm expecting we're going to get.

But hell, maybe abortion rights would be one of the few areas this particular critter defies the base on (already stated this guy is more corruption than that side of things, anyway). I'll believe it when I see it happen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21592 on: July 10, 2018, 06:07:26 pm »

I'd say his own personal statements as to his opinion matter more than the statements of opinion of his appointer (who he did not actively choose).
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21593 on: July 10, 2018, 06:10:52 pm »

I'd say his own personal statements as to his opinion matter more than the statements of opinion of his appointer (who he did not actively choose).

Well, I would agree, particularly with regard to the statements he made to his appointer as to his position. Since we can't know those, the political climate in which he was appointed is well worth considering.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21594 on: July 10, 2018, 07:58:36 pm »

I mean he was part of the Clinton investigation and then he became a Bush employee and suddenly had a nuanced view on the subject of special counsels.  I'd say his word means about shit.

Also, he worked for the late justice Kennedy.  This is a bad thing, Kennedy wasn't as moderate as the news is making him out to be.  For example he was the deciding vote on the Citizens United verdict.  The fact that Kennedy voted with fucking Scalia *most of the time* instead of *all the time* is not something to be proud of.

I'll admit I'm biased.  After what the party of "how about we just don't do our jobs" did with Obama's supreme court pick, any conservative justice who accepts a nomination this close to 2016 is automatically a corrupt asshat in my opinion.  I am extremely bitter right now.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21595 on: July 10, 2018, 09:01:38 pm »

Yeah, bwoi; trade war intensifies, business leaders (alright, one interviewed business leader) donít know why.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #21596 on: July 10, 2018, 09:36:30 pm »

Oh Oh Oh... can I join in the shitting on Neil Degrasse Tyson?

This quote needs to die forever.  I have a couple friends that follow pop science streams on Facebook (IFLScience being the main offender), and I swear I see this thing make the rounds at least once a month.  It's obnoxious.  He seemed like an alright guy when his celebrity status really started to take off.  But pretty soon, this became the primary thing I associate him with.  He's like the spiritual sponsor to every psuedo-intellectual circle jerk on the internet that continually widens the cultural divide.

I try to make time to bitch at people for it almost every time I see it.  Because the attitude it displays is shamelessly self-congratulatory, without substantiating itself at all.  An anti-intellectual religious fanatic could say exactly the same words with "the bible" instead of science, and believe it with the same manner of conviction.  It does nothing to differentiate itself from what it criticizes.  Showing this quote around unironically with no further context just publicly exemplifies the lazy, self-satisfied righteousness that gets the left accused of forgetting how to engage sincere dialogue with those they disagree with.  When I point this out, I get a whole bunch of clueless responses to the effect of "What's the problem.  It's just a statement of fact.  If this offends anybody, they should bother to educate themselves as to how the scientific method works."  And I'm like "K, thanks.  When science denial pushes mass extinctions to the point that I'm scavenging for insects, I'll remember that at least your self-esteem got a good boost out of circle-jerking to the expense of all those hopeless illiterate peasants."

To be fair, I know that the full quote isn't as bad.  But that doesn't matter so much, when this is ultimately the legacy he's cultivated.

And on a lighter note, I love this comic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:

Also, I'm sick of the trade war.  It's greatly increasing the difficulty of my work.  I spent 3 hours yesterday troubleshooting technical issues for just one entry to Customs, associated with the new 25% duty rate on a bunch of products from China.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:39:05 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21597 on: July 10, 2018, 10:13:52 pm »

Yeah, bwoi; trade war intensifies, business leaders (alright, one interviewed business leader) donít know why.

ďThey canít figure out what the endgame isĒ, pfft, itís been staring you in the face since Trump started his Presidential run. He wants to make China break under pressure and stop its unfair practices.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21598 on: July 10, 2018, 10:28:22 pm »

... man, if you actually believe that last bit, you make me reconsider the viability of selling bridges. Trump doesn't give a shit about unfair practices, save the extent he can get away with them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21599 on: July 10, 2018, 10:35:05 pm »

... man, if you actually believe that last bit, you make me reconsider the viability of selling bridges. Trump doesn't give a shit about unfair practices, save the extent he can get away with them.
Oh, that's not true at all. Trump hates unfair practices when people are doing them to him.
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 ... 2466