Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1461 1462 [1463] 1464 1465 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3582488 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21930 on: July 23, 2018, 07:11:12 pm »

Are we having a flame war? Why did no one tell me!
I love telling people they are wrong on the internet!
No you don't. You came here for an argument!
No, I came here for an argument.
No you didn't!
Both of you are wrong and I have a paragraph or 12 to tell you about it.
Wow, I'm so mad I'll reply just to increase this quote pyramid!1!1!11!!ONE11!!

Can you provide citations if you don't you are a straw fallacy fib.
AD HOMINEN! AD HOMINEN!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21931 on: July 23, 2018, 07:36:19 pm »

I feel like when you spend two pages talking about something and then come back with "I'm don't care what people think about my opinions" that is a valid retort.

Maybe we should leave this one behind? Anything else going on in politics besides personal friction in the Bay12 forums?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21932 on: July 23, 2018, 07:37:42 pm »

Maybe we should leave this one behind? Anything else going on in politics besides personal friction in the Bay12 forums?

Well, apparently there are actually 12 of Cohen's tapes being released by the Special Master, and Fox accidentally let the wrong Democrat on and got a rant about family separation. So there's that.

EDIT: Also, everyone but Sanders seems to think she's leaving.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:40:53 pm by Trekkin »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21933 on: July 23, 2018, 07:54:48 pm »

Actually, the two subsets to which I was referring in those two posts are significantly different. The first post wasn't even about Maximum Spin particularly, which is why I deliberately avoided quoting him directly. It was referring specifically to the crazy shotgun-wielding ultra-conservative hermit stereotype, from which I've heard a lot of that sort of rhetoric* and who seem to be the ones most culturally enamored of propagating it. They're actually fairly politically vocal, at least about their 2nd Amendment rights, so I'm less curious about them.

There are a lot of little subcultures hiding out there, and we have a lot of room for them to hide in.

*Just to be clear, they are quite rare. I was just supremely unlucky in where I grew up.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:15:34 pm by Trekkin »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21934 on: July 23, 2018, 07:59:30 pm »

Then it probably would've helped if you didn't emphasize the "living in the middle of nowhere" bit so much between both groups.

Okay, fair, but it is true of both and importantly so. I suppose I am overly sensitive to that, since the media acts like America is two coasts with a bunch of cornfields in between, but nevertheless, there's a lot of America and a lot of Americans that don't make sense if you think of them as living in cities and it seems like that's how people envision each other by default a lot of the time. It matters for everything from infrastructure to the uses they have for guns (vermin, etc.) to the relative risk of their being armed to the ways they're exposed to ideas.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21935 on: July 23, 2018, 11:34:40 pm »

Man, I tried to skim the last few pages, and I'm not even sure what's being said anymore. This is not a flame war, this is a lame war.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21936 on: July 24, 2018, 12:31:34 am »

Man, I tried to skim the last few pages, and I'm not even sure what's being said anymore. This is not a flame war, this is a lame war.
The Tame War of 2018 was held in the realm of Bay 12 between the forces of Duke Maximum Spin and King Trekkin. Despite being a war on political cassus belli, casualty counts for the war were remarkably low, resulting only in some hurt feefees on both sides. While Maximum Spin was declared the winner of the war on a technicality, with Trekkin bringing white peace to the table first, it is largely regarded as a draw, due to the fact that the status quo not only remained after the Tame War concluded but was maintained throughout. The Emperor of Bay 12, Toady I, would later be notified of the hostilities, responding with a now-infamous "Meh."

:P

Then it probably would've helped if you didn't emphasize the "living in the middle of nowhere" bit so much between both groups.

Okay, fair, but it is true of both and importantly so. I suppose I am overly sensitive to that, since the media acts like America is two coasts with a bunch of cornfields in between, but nevertheless, there's a lot of America and a lot of Americans that don't make sense if you think of them as living in cities and it seems like that's how people envision each other by default a lot of the time. It matters for everything from infrastructure to the uses they have for guns (vermin, etc.) to the relative risk of their being armed to the ways they're exposed to ideas.
America is a great big pile of subcultures living on way more land than can honestly be efficiently administrated somehow working. But the last bit has become a bit of a problem recently because it's become so much easier to find a hugbox for whatever shithead ideology you discover on the internet. I just wish people would be more willing to talk to each other and that our ingroups were less prone to shoving people who do out of the group. It's almost like a national case of Lupus.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21937 on: July 24, 2018, 12:51:03 am »

I decide to check in upon waking up and find this, how offensive!
Despite being a war on political cassus belli, casualty counts for the war were remarkably low, resulting only in some hurt feefees on both sides.
I promise, I'm fine. I realised after I posted it that the bit about not staying to be generalised about probably sounded somewhat pearl-clutching, but I just meant that I was giving up this conversation as probably useless. I find the whole thing rather funny and was just now telling some friends about it. I've never had hurt feelings and I'm not starting now.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21938 on: July 24, 2018, 02:19:39 am »

On a less controversial note, a Washington DC based burger chain decided to tweet a picture of a beheaded American ISIS prisoner (before the execution) as an advert, making some sort of comparison between what was going on in the photo and eating at McDonalds.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/burger-chain-apologises-for-isis-execution-tweet/news-story/9c744cc42bef2838ff49bfd627b27486
https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/07/23/z-burger-chain-under-fire-for-a-tweet-depicting-james-foley-execution-and-a-burger/

“When you say you want a burger and someone says okay let’s hit McDonald’s,” the tweet said. The accompanying image showed Foley and a caption from the execution video saying, “You disgrace me.”

... and some work actually went into super-imposing a picture of a hand holding out a hamburger over the picture of the dead dude. zburger has apologized, and said they weren't responsible. At first I thought they were going to say they were hacked, but then the apology refers to the offending content as an advertisement made by their social media contractors. I can see how the whole campaign could really come together: "People are really losing their heads over zburger".

The creators probably lost their job at zburger, but Trump's team is already hitting them up to work PR.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:37:26 am by Reelya »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21939 on: July 24, 2018, 03:15:00 am »

Are we having a flame war? Why did no one tell me!
I love telling people they are wrong on the internet!
No you don't. You came here for an argument!
No, I came here for an argument.
No you didn't!
Both of you are wrong and I have a paragraph or 12 to tell you about it.
Wow, I'm so mad I'll reply just to increase this quote pyramid!1!1!11!!ONE11!!

Can you provide citations if you don't you are a straw fallacy fib.
AD HOMINEN! AD HOMINEN!

Damnit, I went to sleep and when I woke up, I had missed a flame war. Because I still want to stick my oar in, its AD HOMINEM, you developmentally-challenged cuttlefish-faced ... uhh... slag?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21940 on: July 24, 2018, 03:41:29 am »

Quote from: Rowanas
Damnit, I went to sleep and when I woke up, I had missed a flame war.
Happens to the best of us. :)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21941 on: July 24, 2018, 03:49:27 am »

Ad Hominid is where you compare them to a monkey.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21942 on: July 24, 2018, 04:33:35 am »

Ad Homophone is where you compare them to something that sounds the same, but means something different.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21943 on: July 24, 2018, 04:57:10 am »

Ad Hominid is where you compare them to a monkey.
That's, like, literally the only group of simians that's not hominids.

Ad Hominid would be when you say that somebody is a real mensh.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21944 on: July 24, 2018, 05:46:08 am »

Hench Mensch. Using that as a compliment from now on.
Pages: 1 ... 1461 1462 [1463] 1464 1465 ... 3513