Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593457 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21945 on: July 24, 2018, 06:02:38 am »

On a less controversial note, a Washington DC based burger chain decided to tweet a picture of a beheaded American ISIS prisoner (before the execution) as an advert, making some sort of comparison between what was going on in the photo and eating at McDonalds.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/burger-chain-apologises-for-isis-execution-tweet/news-story/9c744cc42bef2838ff49bfd627b27486
https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/07/23/z-burger-chain-under-fire-for-a-tweet-depicting-james-foley-execution-and-a-burger/

“When you say you want a burger and someone says okay let’s hit McDonald’s,” the tweet said. The accompanying image showed Foley and a caption from the execution video saying, “You disgrace me.”

... and some work actually went into super-imposing a picture of a hand holding out a hamburger over the picture of the dead dude. zburger has apologized, and said they weren't responsible. At first I thought they were going to say they were hacked, but then the apology refers to the offending content as an advertisement made by their social media contractors. I can see how the whole campaign could really come together: "People are really losing their heads over zburger".

The creators probably lost their job at zburger, but Trump's team is already hitting them up to work PR.

Is this Froghammer?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21946 on: July 24, 2018, 06:19:17 am »

Ad hominen must be when you compare somebody to a Finn.

Edit:
On a less controversial note, a Washington DC based burger chain decided to tweet a picture of a beheaded American ISIS prisoner (before the execution) as an advert, making some sort of comparison between what was going on in the photo and eating at McDonalds.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/media/burger-chain-apologises-for-isis-execution-tweet/news-story/9c744cc42bef2838ff49bfd627b27486
https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/07/23/z-burger-chain-under-fire-for-a-tweet-depicting-james-foley-execution-and-a-burger/

“When you say you want a burger and someone says okay let’s hit McDonald’s,” the tweet said. The accompanying image showed Foley and a caption from the execution video saying, “You disgrace me.”

... and some work actually went into super-imposing a picture of a hand holding out a hamburger over the picture of the dead dude. zburger has apologized, and said they weren't responsible. At first I thought they were going to say they were hacked, but then the apology refers to the offending content as an advertisement made by their social media contractors. I can see how the whole campaign could really come together: "People are really losing their heads over zburger".

The creators probably lost their job at zburger, but Trump's team is already hitting them up to work PR.

Just... what the hell. Just what went into their thinking here.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:22:08 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21947 on: July 24, 2018, 06:23:10 am »

I dunno, I like their chutzpah.  Not classy, but certainly bold, and I'm talking about a burger chain I've never even heard of before.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21948 on: July 24, 2018, 07:08:18 am »

Just... what the hell. Just what went into their thinking here.

Stereotypically, cocaine. More likely that this just is meme culture now; everyone's used to responding to things with random clips and context doesn't go viral (partly because it's a mortal sin not to recognize everything), so it gets lost until someone can be virtuous and outraged about it.

So what went into their thinking was a predictable if unfortunate failure to recall that some of the things we see are not, in fact, television shows created for our amusement.

EDIT: The non-apology is in this vein too."We're nice, don't boycott!" shows a certain indifference to what actually happened.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:11:13 am by Trekkin »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21949 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:25 am »

Ad Blocker is Trevor's World Of Shoes - Where you're never more than two feet away from a bargain! when you can't Are you suffering from horrible behind-the-ear body odours? - Order your LobeFumigator spray now and get ten 5-gallon applicators for the price of nine! actually have a normal argument because I know the secrets of Egyptian bear testicles CLICK for details of all the ˇˇCheese!! (Blue varieties only. Allow 90 days for delivery.) interuptions.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21950 on: July 24, 2018, 08:39:47 am »

I Iegitimately thought you were a spambot, Starver.

And then I read closer.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21951 on: July 24, 2018, 09:24:01 am »

Look closelier. More closelier.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21952 on: July 24, 2018, 10:05:08 am »

Can't, on phone.
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21953 on: July 24, 2018, 11:16:43 am »

And now Trump is tweeting that he's concerned the Russians will be meddling in the Democrats' favor in order to counteract him, the toughest President ever on Russia.

Oh boy.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21954 on: July 24, 2018, 11:18:58 am »

And you know, they just might. And really blatanly openly and poorly to throw a screen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21955 on: July 24, 2018, 11:19:35 am »

He's just preemptively planting the idea in his follower's heads that any failure of his is both due to the democrats, and those guys he's totally not been in bed with for the last two+ years.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21956 on: July 24, 2018, 11:43:16 am »

He's just preemptively planting the idea in his follower's heads that any failure of his is both due to the democrats, and those guys he's totally not been in bed with for the last two+ years.
You have always been at war with Eurasia Russia.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #21957 on: July 24, 2018, 11:47:02 am »

Well, let's see:

If Putin wants to discredit democracy, then yes, he'll likely make obvious and clumsy attempts to "help" Democrats. If he wants to support Trump, he may instead (or additionally) encourage Trump to attack Iran.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21958 on: July 24, 2018, 01:52:13 pm »

Holy shit I want 5 cases of LobeFumigator right now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21959 on: July 24, 2018, 02:07:59 pm »

I decide to check in upon waking up and find this, how offensive!
Might I suggest that this is at the very least a yellow flag for your mental health?  :P

If the first thing one thinks of doing when waking up is Ameripol, there may be some issues. I would know because I did the same thing today.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 ... 3515