Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533364 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22005 on: July 25, 2018, 11:27:10 am »

I mean, purple literally blow themselves up for no better reason than to kill people for their ideology.

Ah yes, the infamous terrorist organization IS: The Indigo State

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22006 on: July 25, 2018, 12:16:00 pm »

It's not the worst idea I've ever heard.

Guess I gotta try harder then.

What if we execute them, but his successor has a 2 million budget and is legally required to use all of it on props?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22007 on: July 25, 2018, 12:18:55 pm »

I mean, purple literally blow themselves up for no better reason than to kill people for their ideology.

Ah yes, the infamous terrorist organization IS: The Indigo State
Obama killed Roy G. Biv, the Indigo state is gone.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22008 on: July 25, 2018, 01:03:55 pm »

I mean, purple literally blow themselves up for no better reason than to kill people for their ideology. You don't think similar extremists would just as readily take a presidential position with such stipulations.

A better way would just to have all assets seized after their term is up. Make it so they can't keep anything they might gain from it. Eliminates the problem I think.
When you become president, all of your assets are seized and assessed. They're then distributed according to, uh, groundhog farts or whatever, who cares.

After your presidency, you get a random assortment of new assets worth what you gave up on entry, plus inflation. Well, to the best of current knowledge and with little to no ability to predict future performance, though if they're sufficiently randomized and distributed, you probably won't lose everything due to a faulty swing in the economy. Hell, you might be better off if you weren't sufficiently diversified beforehand.

That way, getting into the presidency isn't a sacrifice, but it also isn't ripe for exploitation like having government meetings and foreign dignitaries at your own hotels, paying you. For example. Off the top of my head. Completely out of nowhere.

And any 'exploitation' you do to make sure you're better off afterward would necessarily be to better the whole economy, not just your little corner of it, because you have no idea what you're going to get. Similarly, the bribery and 'bribery' from industry would cancel itself out, because all assets are taken and randomized from the president so whatever million dollar babyfund you give their campaign or them will be obliterated.

The only problem is nepotistic exploitation, giving your brother-in-law's company a cozy make-work job or something. Dunno how you'd fix that unless you also randomize the assets of anyone related to the president.

/s
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22009 on: July 25, 2018, 01:05:20 pm »

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/25/632191533/ga-lawmaker-resigns-after-dropping-pants-shouting-slurs-on-sacha-baron-cohen-sho

This is just too strange for me to even understand what happened.

Da fuq?

"Sacha Baron Cohen and his associates took advantage of my paralyzing fear that my family would be attacked," Spencer said, adding that the techniques he demonstrated were meant to deter "what I believed was an inevitable attack."

What? Is the guy a moron or something ... He was duped to believe there would be a terrorist attack if he didn't drop his pants, and moon the camera while shouting the N-word, as far as I can tell. At least, that's the excuse he's going with.

He told the Journal-Constitution that he was denied final approval before the episode aired. "This media company's deceptive and fraudulent behavior is exactly why President Donald Trump was elected," he told the newspaper.

That's just too bad. If you're gullible enough to fall for such a blatant prank, then you deserve to lose your seat so that one of the vast number of people with more common sense in your state can have a shot at running things. People with enough sense not to drop their pants and shout profanities, just because someone suggests they should.

Man, but I really like this bit:

In it, Lott says, "Something we should think about in America" is putting guns in the hands of "law-abiding citizens, good guys, whether they be teachers, or whether they actually be talented children or highly trained preschoolers."

This Republican got "duped" into saying we should "highly train" preschoolers to shoot guns at attackers. There's only so much "duping" needed. Sure, Sasha Baron Cohen might have planted the idea, but you still gotta go along with it to repeat the idea like that. These are supposed to be responsible community leaders after all, not some joe average on Candid Camera. If state leaders are endorsing crazy stuff like armed toddlers, then that's no fault of Cohen for "setting them up". He's doing the country a favor by exposing morons like this.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:15:38 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22010 on: July 25, 2018, 01:12:07 pm »

Nice to see Sacha Baron Cohen doing stuff again.

"Kinderguardians" sounds like a great concept for an 80's-90's Saturday morning kids cartoon. They're clumsy, incoherent, immature children, but when the city needs saving they transform into Liefeldian, hyper-muscular supermen!
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22011 on: July 25, 2018, 01:14:01 pm »

Or, it could be a horrible CGI talking-babies thing that's a spin-off of the Baby Geniuses movies.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22012 on: July 25, 2018, 02:00:00 pm »

I don't think he was duped. I think he was prompted in to believing this would go over well with his supporters ("Look, I can shout the N word and drop my pants, IDGAF") and then it predictably blew up in his face once it hit the rest of the internet. And rather than saying "Yes I did all this stuff deliberately", oh, now he was "duped."

No matter which way you slice it, he's a fucking moron.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22013 on: July 25, 2018, 02:51:41 pm »

This Republican got "duped" into saying we should "highly train" preschoolers to shoot guns at attackers. There's only so much "duping" needed. Sure, Sasha Baron Cohen might have planted the idea, but you still gotta go along with it to repeat the idea like that. These are supposed to be responsible community leaders after all, not some joe average on Candid Camera. If state leaders are endorsing crazy stuff like armed toddlers, then that's no fault of Cohen for "setting them up". He's doing the country a favor by exposing morons like this.

Without seeing the clip, are we sure that this isn't a case of the politician deliberately going along with the joke, in an attempt to seem "hip"? I have a hard time with the notion that that many people don't know that Cohen is a professional troll, given that his movies were such huge hits.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22014 on: July 25, 2018, 02:54:15 pm »

Its hard to tell these days, nothing's too absurd.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22015 on: July 25, 2018, 02:58:29 pm »

I feel like this is a situation of publicity and political satire gone awry.

The main problem to me is that any major government representative would find it appropriate or funny under any circumstances to moon a television camera while uttering ethnic slurs.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22016 on: July 25, 2018, 03:00:14 pm »

Maybe not worth losing your job over.

Well, other jobs are available. Maybe I just have too much dignity.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22017 on: July 25, 2018, 03:25:17 pm »

Ok here I'm going to put this a way better way. My problem is that an elected representative meant to act as a leader of his state in some capacity is basically doing this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this is the image that people see now when they think of a Georgia official. I myself feel like that's understandable to resign over.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22018 on: July 25, 2018, 03:43:59 pm »

Without seeing the clip, are we sure that this isn't a case of the politician deliberately going along with the joke, in an attempt to seem "hip"? I have a hard time with the notion that that many people don't know that Cohen is a professional troll, given that his movies were such huge hits.
Well he got Cheney on his channel recently, and Palin a few weeks ago. It helps that he never uses his name. No one hears "Sasha Baron Cohen", they hear Col. Erran Morad, former Mossad agent, who has a nice website all done up in Hebrew for you to read if you want.

Hilariously, one of the people who were duped, Joe Walsh, was convinced in precisely this fashion: his wife asked to see their website, they gave her a Hebrew one. She asked for english, but Sasha's team did not respond, and the crucial bit is the Walsh's went with it anyway. Only after Walsh had endorsed the arming of toddlers did the Walsh's finally reach out the Israeli Consulate, discovering that yes, it was fake. Why did he go? If i had to guess, because Walsh was promised some lovely trophy for being a "Friend of Israel" in honor of their 70th anniversary (he did indeed receive a real trophy for this fake award).
Quote from: The Atlantic
“A 3-year-old cannot defend itself from an assault rifle by throwing a Hello Kitty pencil case at it,” says Representative Joe Wilson of South Carolina. “Our Founding Fathers did not put an age limit on the Second Amendment.”

“The intensive three-week Kinderguardian course introduces specially selected children from 12 to 4 years old to pistols, rifles, semiautomatics, and a rudimentary knowledge of mortars,” says the former congressman and talk-radio host Joe Walsh. (Yes, he said mortars.) “In less than a month, less than a month, a first grader can become a first grenader.”

“Toddlers are pure, uncorrupted by fake news or homosexuality,” says Larry Pratt, the executive director emeritus of Gun Owners of America, before dutifully continuing with the talking points “Morad” has given to him. “Children under 5 also have elevated levels of the pheromone Blink-182, produced by the part of the liver known as the Rita Ora. This produces nerve reflexes to travel along the Cardi B neural pathway to the Wiz Khalifa 40 percent faster, saving time and saving lives.”
For what it's worth, a fourth republican did show up on the show, but in the word's of politico, "[they] declined to endorse the arming of toddlers."

It's probably not that these people secretly believe that toddlers should be armed. Just that it's surprisingly easy to convince them to go along with the very obviously insane so long as you appear genuine and very earnest and passionate about it. Sasha doesn't throw up the red flags that ordinarily prevent people and politicians from getting into these circumstances to begin with, so they let their guard down and do what the nice man asks them to do.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22019 on: July 25, 2018, 04:05:57 pm »

I approve of giving politicians the rope with which they will hang themselves.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 ... 3511