Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 [1469] 1470 1471 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3533774 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22020 on: July 25, 2018, 04:09:19 pm »

... The head of Gun Owners of America actually read out that the Blink-182 pheromone allows toddlers to shoot faster.

The reason I single that out is to point out how these people exist in a different media landscape to the rest of us. While they may be vaguely aware that say, Borat, was a thing, they haven't seen it, and probably didn't even know who Sacha Baron Cohen is.

Cohen's use of those band-names was partly to point out how out of touch these people are with mainstream culture, but also the clear scientific illiteracy, that they wouldn't guess something was wrong just from what they were given to read.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:17:10 pm by Reelya »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22021 on: July 25, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »

... The head of Gun Owners of America actually read out that the Blink-182 pheromone allows toddlers to shoot faster.
People say some seriously stupid shit when presented with certain situations. I recall there being some show on Worldstar designed around this fact, where people would be asked "who is the first president of the United States?" or "What kind of cheese is the moon made out of?" and people would answer with "Abraham Lincoln" and "Mozzerella" 100% dead serious. Because they were ambushed with a time limit.

It's not too far of a stretch to imagine SBC used similar techniques designed to force that sort of situation.

Doesn't make it any less stupid to say though, and the guy who got all butthurt about it is and should be a laughingstock. You never saw Obama freak out because a pundit made fun of him and then he felt forced to barge into the Today Show set and moon the audience.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22022 on: July 25, 2018, 04:25:41 pm »

It's a shame he couldn't hook the Nimble Navigator himself. Under normal circumstances there would be someone competent to screen prospective interviews with a sitting president, but I think Cohen actually would have had a shot at getting the Donald into a live broadcast studio by pushing the right buttons as an apparent "alternative" news source.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22023 on: July 25, 2018, 04:29:26 pm »

Honestly, I'd bet his only real challenge there would be getting into the Don's personal Email box. If he can slip past the security against talking to the President, he'd be able to get Trump to say anything, because Trump is an egoist and thus easily manipulated.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22024 on: July 25, 2018, 04:46:29 pm »

I mean, purple literally blow themselves up for no better reason than to kill people for their ideology. You don't think similar extremists would just as readily take a presidential position with such stipulations.

A better way would just to have all assets seized after their term is up. Make it so they can't keep anything they might gain from it. Eliminates the problem I think.
When you become president, all of your assets are seized and assessed. They're then distributed according to, uh, groundhog farts or whatever, who cares.

After your presidency, you get a random assortment of new assets worth what you gave up on entry, plus inflation. Well, to the best of current knowledge and with little to no ability to predict future performance, though if they're sufficiently randomized and distributed, you probably won't lose everything due to a faulty swing in the economy. Hell, you might be better off if you weren't sufficiently diversified beforehand.

That way, getting into the presidency isn't a sacrifice, but it also isn't ripe for exploitation like having government meetings and foreign dignitaries at your own hotels, paying you. For example. Off the top of my head. Completely out of nowhere.

And any 'exploitation' you do to make sure you're better off afterward would necessarily be to better the whole economy, not just your little corner of it, because you have no idea what you're going to get. Similarly, the bribery and 'bribery' from industry would cancel itself out, because all assets are taken and randomized from the president so whatever million dollar babyfund you give their campaign or them will be obliterated.

The only problem is nepotistic exploitation, giving your brother-in-law's company a cozy make-work job or something. Dunno how you'd fix that unless you also randomize the assets of anyone related to the president.

/s
Reminds me of a fantasy book I read. The people randomly select someone as the leader and strip them of everything then force them to run the country. If things get worse they don't get their stuff back and if it gets better they benefit proportionally.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22025 on: July 25, 2018, 05:02:59 pm »

CNN now reporting that their correspondent has been banned from open press events at the WH, because Trump did not like her questions about Cohen's betrayal and Putin's failure to acknowledge his invitation.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22026 on: July 25, 2018, 05:42:11 pm »

Bearing in mind this is the man who is threatening to take away the security clearance of former heads of various intelligence agencies under the Obama adminisration ‘cause they say he’s not very good.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22027 on: July 25, 2018, 05:42:53 pm »

Honestly, I'd bet his only real challenge there would be getting into the Don's personal Email box. If he can slip past the security against talking to the President, he'd be able to get Trump to say anything, because Trump is an egoist and thus easily manipulated.
Once bitten..?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22028 on: July 25, 2018, 08:21:59 pm »

...At best it gives Trump some cover for removing Rosenstein, but that's a paper-thin excuse that will certainly send his presidency down in flames....

You mean like being recorded telling his lawyer to pay hush money to a prostitute he had an affair with?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22029 on: July 25, 2018, 08:54:02 pm »

Yeah I'm at a bit of a loss as to how his reputation could possibly worsen unless he starts literally strangling brown children to open his press statements.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22030 on: July 25, 2018, 10:47:01 pm »

Yeah I'm at a bit of a loss as to how his reputation could possibly worsen unless he starts literally strangling brown children to open his press statements.

Even odds that it'd actually improve his approval rating, since it'd bring in the people who currently think he's being too soft on immigrants.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22031 on: July 26, 2018, 12:00:31 am »

Oh hey, some House Republicans filed articles of impeachment against Rosenstein. Not that it matters, given that they would need a majority in the House and 2/3 of the Senate to go forward, and they have neither (or at least a definitive no on the Senate) and no procedural bullshit can circumvent those two requirements. At best it gives Trump some cover for removing Rosenstein, but that's a paper-thin excuse that will certainly send his presidency down in flames.

It's also worth noting that the two representatives who introduced the measure, Jim Jordan and Matt Meadows, are both running for reelection in 2018 and are leaning heavy on a pro-Trump stance. In other words, it's a ploy to show voters that they tried to end the "witch hunt" with no expectation of it ever following through.
I'm so glad they're finally beginning the impeachment process.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22032 on: July 26, 2018, 12:03:46 am »

Oh hey, some House Republicans filed articles of impeachment against Rosenstein. Not that it matters, given that they would need a majority in the House and 2/3 of the Senate to go forward, and they have neither (or at least a definitive no on the Senate) and no procedural bullshit can circumvent those two requirements. At best it gives Trump some cover for removing Rosenstein, but that's a paper-thin excuse that will certainly send his presidency down in flames.

It's also worth noting that the two representatives who introduced the measure, Jim Jordan and Matt Meadows, are both running for reelection in 2018 and are leaning heavy on a pro-Trump stance. In other words, it's a ploy to show voters that they tried to end the "witch hunt" with no expectation of it ever following through.
I'm so glad they're finally beginning the impeachment process.

Wrong target though....

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22033 on: July 26, 2018, 12:10:08 am »

Just... going... to... leave... this... here

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22034 on: July 26, 2018, 01:56:16 am »

Just... going... to... leave... this... here

And it looks like that man is likely to see office. Fucking morons in our government.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 [1469] 1470 1471 ... 3511