Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1512 1513 [1514] 1515 1516 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589089 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22695 on: August 17, 2018, 11:10:04 am »

tbh I wish someone ran up to her and was like "You know you're calling them the equivalent of apes and [other less pleasant words], right? It must be okay for me to call you that, then."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22696 on: August 17, 2018, 11:32:24 am »

It rejuvenates my belief in humanity to see that, no matter what creed or group we belong to, we can always count on ourselves to express and think the exact same shitty opinions of each other. Humanity, united in deplorability since 300 000 years BC.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22697 on: August 17, 2018, 11:43:49 am »

You didn’t specify.

Really?
Let's keep picking the nits.
First you made a general claim about kings having been elected for longer than inherited.
When asked for elaboration, you bring up Europe.
Somebody points out older hereditary dynasties existed in other parts of the world, so bringing up Europe does not support your original claim.
You then insist you were only ever talking about Europe.

Moving the goalposts, is what this looks like.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22698 on: August 17, 2018, 12:07:23 pm »

Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't include the history of the entire world and/or make properly define the exact geographical limits of my one-liner comment and joke which's point was that kings can have have commonly been elected, and that I only did so specifically after I had been asked to clarify and/or endepthen what I meant! You're not being unreasonable here at all.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22699 on: August 17, 2018, 12:18:50 pm »

No, I don't think I am. But do keep being passive aggressive about it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22700 on: August 17, 2018, 12:20:46 pm »

Now we just need a system of electing professionals who are motivated by the good of the nation, rather than a popularity contest whose winners are allowed to be subsidized by lobbies...

And what, precisely, does an election that is not a popularity contest look like systemically?

Other than a rigged election, of course.
Yeah, I wasn't sarcastically hinting at a better system.  I don't have an answer.
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others", after all.

I guess the British House of Lords?  Though I remember very little about that.
The concept of "statemen", leaders who care about the nation above themselves, is very old though.  We used to have a lot more of them in government, but ideals seem to struggle against well-funded campaigns.

tldr; Campaign finance reform, duh.

I hope you're not thinking the House of Lords is a better system, seeing as they're all unelected and there are still hereditary titles in there.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22701 on: August 17, 2018, 12:21:53 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22702 on: August 17, 2018, 12:27:11 pm »

my one-liner comment and joke which's point was that kings can have have commonly been elected

Well, no, it was not, at least not if read literally. You said this:

Also this is your timely reminder that kings have been democratically elected for longer than they have been inherited.

Which we've established is false. Moreover, it's false in a way that matters for the larger context of the argument, which is why I at least keep hammering on it: the forms of governments people tried first suggest things about how they thought government ought to work, which might in turn speak to how we're wired as a social species. That's interesting to me, so I like having accurate data going in.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22703 on: August 17, 2018, 12:29:49 pm »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22704 on: August 17, 2018, 12:35:30 pm »

I didn't do it because of their involvement with the ongoing investigation into my illegal activities, I did it because my hands are huge. I mean my dick is tiny. Wait
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22705 on: August 17, 2018, 12:37:28 pm »

http://time.com/5370207/admiral-william-mcraven-donald-trump-security-clearance/

I'm gonna love to see the tweets about this thing.

He's gonna get upgraded in security clearance to Tippy-Top Secret now, and will finally learn what covfefe is.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22706 on: August 17, 2018, 12:37:51 pm »

It was easy enough to have inherited leadership because division of labors and all, it was easier to teach your kid to lead than it was some random schmuck. And if they did terribly enough it was much, much easier to overthrow them then than now, what with pointy farming equipment being roughly equal to tool of war.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22707 on: August 17, 2018, 12:39:56 pm »

One the one hand I'd rather we stop being so pedantic, but on the other I'm actually a catty bitch who lives for drama, so:

Also this is your timely reminder that kings have been democratically elected for longer than they have been inherited. Nothing prevents monarchies from being democratic! Well, except the outvoted monarch, possibly...
Which monarchs are you refering to here?
I'm curious on this too.

In the majority of Europe's history, particularly the non-mediterranean western, northern, and eastern bits, kings were elected. Inheriting titles is a late, medieval custom, which likely grew into place at the same time as land titles grew from appointment to inheritance status. A few examples off the top if my head; Queen Margareta of Denmark and Norway was elected queen of Sweden, thereby forming the Kalmar Union. Gustav Vasa, who led the rebellion against the Danish king in 1520-something, was the last elected king of Sweden. In England, William the Bastard invaded the country and became the Conqueror because the Angles had elected Harold Godwinson* instead of him. Polish kings also used to be elected, and (though I cannot recall the name) their modem parliament is still named after their old election assembly.

In general, this all harks back to tribal customs and the propensity for tribes to form democratic and semi-democratic  government structures instead of the tyrannical might-makes-right barbararchies they are often portrayed as in popular culture. In places where the tribal customs remained stronger for a longer time, such as in the North, these democratic systems also remained in power longer.

*(lol autocorrupt wants his name to be Harold Cocaine)
Those are not the first kings.  China is over 4k years old and has not had democratic elections at any point in that time.  There's also the Assyrian Empire, the Romans, the Mayans, the Egyptians, probably several others I don't know off the top of my head.  And the ancient Greeks, since the only city state to be democratic was Athens for a short period of their history and they elected a council not a king.

s: kings were democratically elected for most of history
eg: which?
s: some settled tribes in parts of europe
eg: there are many more counter-examples in history for much longer
s: we're talking about tribes in parts of europe for a relatively short time

Fakedit: Oh dear, 8 new replies, uh

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22708 on: August 17, 2018, 12:43:53 pm »

my one-liner comment and joke which's point was that kings can have have commonly been elected

Well, no, it was not, at least not if read literally. You said this:

Also this is your timely reminder that kings have been democratically elected for longer than they have been inherited.

Which we've established is false.

Please literally read the very next sentence after the one you quoted. You could even quote that one as well, so people can see what you cut.
Love, scriver~

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22709 on: August 17, 2018, 12:45:34 pm »

http://time.com/5370207/admiral-william-mcraven-donald-trump-security-clearance/

I'm gonna love to see the tweets about this thing.
I bet Trump does it.

And then the Trumpeteers all laugh and congratulate each other on purging another "anti-american" scumbag who dared to question Trump, while avoiding the fact that the guy is partially responsible for killing literally Bin Laden.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 1512 1513 [1514] 1515 1516 ... 3514