Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1517 1518 [1519] 1520 1521 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592492 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22770 on: August 20, 2018, 03:39:32 pm »

Really, what catches people up the most is the expectation of one singular "right" answer. There isn't. Like trying to find a right economic system, attempting to find a right ethical system is doomed to fail. There's not even a least bad option- just several mixed ones. Take your pick; you can't go wrong, really.
This is pretty much it, really. And the more people read about the established ethical categories and systems, the more they think they'll be able to finally get to the bottom of the whole thing and find the right one... Which, when you're dealing with a cosmic scale at that point, becomes rather ludicrous.

Anyway has Giuliani always been a Trump type of guy? He always seemed like he had the personality but not the capacity for ridiculousness, I actually wouldn't have expected him to get this on board with Trump.

Depends on how you mean; he's always been pugnacious, and I think he followed Christie in playing that up when Trump became capo candidate in the hope of getting a Cabinet position. At a guess he also watched Christie come away with nothing for all his efforts and has decided to double down on it, thus the current ridiculousness.
I can't help but feel we've heard a lot more about Giuliani as of late, but whether that's because he's recently gotten more insane or simply because he's now directly attached to the Trump media engine is hard to say.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22771 on: August 20, 2018, 05:41:56 pm »

All ethics teachers should have "you can believe in moral relativism and still have opinions" sown into the back of their shirts, and "utilitarianism doesn't work because you can't see the future" written on a piece of paper and then stapled to their forehead.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22772 on: August 20, 2018, 05:44:56 pm »

I agree completely with the ethics thing. It's not possible to create a broad system that covers all situations. In theory it would be possible to simply cover all possible situations with extreme specificity, but we aren't at all capable of that in modern society.

I have examples but because it's me they are based in religion and none of us wants to wake that beast, I think.

The trick to me is being aware enough of that concept that you are able to consistently stop and consider whether even the best system of ethics applies to the current situation. It means looking at your beliefs and (most difficult) yourself in a deliberately flawed light. That can be hard. You also constantly run the risk of falling into the old trap of "I don't want this to be the wrong choice, so I'm going to decide that ethics doesn't apply to it".

Ninja'd:
I am, for instance, on the fence about stapling things to the flesh of our teachers and educators, but I am willing to keep an open mind.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:46:36 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22773 on: August 20, 2018, 05:47:26 pm »

Well you can tape it then, or glue it, there’s no need to avoid the compromises just because someone doesn’t end up hurt. Maybe looking a bit foolish, but they can peel it off. Eventually.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22774 on: August 20, 2018, 06:14:21 pm »

I would heartily encourage philosophical arguments on the nature of ethics, but is it really relevant in the face of a president/spokesperson so childish and cartoonish?

Like, if you're being mugged, do you reflect on the values system implied by "your money or your life," and conclude at length that the perpetrator meant to establish a value system that is sound and based on rational extrapolation from base precepts that may differ from yours, but are no less valid?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22775 on: August 20, 2018, 07:15:07 pm »

I would heartily encourage philosophical arguments on the nature of ethics, but is it really relevant in the face of a president/spokesperson so childish and cartoonish?

Like, if you're being mugged, do you reflect on the values system implied by "your money or your life," and conclude at length that the perpetrator meant to establish a value system that is sound and based on rational extrapolation from base precepts that may differ from yours, but are no less valid?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22776 on: August 20, 2018, 07:26:51 pm »

All ethics teachers should have "you can believe in moral relativism and still have opinions" sown into the back of their shirts, and "utilitarianism doesn't work because you can't see the future" written on a piece of paper and then stapled to their forehead.
Must one have opinions though? Or beliefs for that matter?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #22777 on: August 20, 2018, 08:18:21 pm »

Can't I just be an immobile fungus that has no thoughts at all?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22778 on: August 20, 2018, 08:31:31 pm »

Yes.

Step one: Die, alone and completely separated from society, in a forest covered in rotting-flesh-eating moss.
Step two: Do you actually still care at this point?
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Have the majority of your atoms and molecules be part of the immobile thoughtless fungus that steadily devoured your lifeless corpse.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #22779 on: August 20, 2018, 08:52:03 pm »

I'm not really a collection of atoms though, so that doesn't count.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22780 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:00 pm »

You are in fact mostly empty space.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22781 on: August 20, 2018, 09:08:42 pm »

I'm reminded about the quote from the guy who had his hot dog stolen by Bill Murray or whoever, except instead it's:

"I just got mugged by Rudy Guliani, and when he was done he left laughing and shouting 'Nobody will ever believe you!'"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22782 on: August 21, 2018, 12:24:05 am »

Hey, I move between my bed and my computer, I'm at least one mobile
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22783 on: August 21, 2018, 10:37:13 pm »

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22784 on: August 21, 2018, 10:45:19 pm »

Busy hour or so anyway, it happened fast. Trump brushed off the Manaforr thing, did not comment at all on the Cohen thing. Intriguing, since Cohen all but said he was told to pay off the models by Trump.

Pages: 1 ... 1517 1518 [1519] 1520 1521 ... 3515