Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1518 1519 [1520] 1521 1522 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3589772 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22785 on: August 21, 2018, 11:06:54 pm »

Well, Now's the time America.

Will you permit flagrant illegal activity from the president, or not?  Better decide, because whatever gets decided, will set precedent for the president for a very long time to come.

[Personal note, if trump's excesses and flagrant misuse of office are ultimately what catalyzes an actual "draining of the swamp", it will be the highest irony ever.]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22786 on: August 21, 2018, 11:10:12 pm »

Republicans are still insisting that it has nothing to do with Russia, thus Trump did nothing wrong.

The Democrats wouldn't permit it if they were in power, so, really, the lession is that if your party is in power, you've got nothing to fear :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22787 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:05 pm »

Four
dimensional
chess.

I still like that theory where he was only running in order to expose the faults of our election system.  It stopped being a possibility once he finally managed to appoint some cabinet members, but it's still a nice dream.
Unless it's a very long demonstration, I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22788 on: August 21, 2018, 11:14:12 pm »

I prefer the theory that it was a publicity stunt gone horribly wrong.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22789 on: August 21, 2018, 11:15:19 pm »

[MAGA hat mode]

See-- He selected all the scummiest, sleeziest, slimiest, most vile excuses for human beings he could find to head his cabinet, because that is the best way to expose the lizards that live in the swamp!

By making the swamp people feel confident, he can bring them to the fore-front instead of having them lurk in the shadows where they never get exposure, thus he can bring them to national attention, and force the nation collectively to deal with them!

A true american hero!

[/MAGA hat mode]

I feel dirty for having written that....

*edited for more appropriate alt-reality mode.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:17:36 pm by wierd »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22790 on: August 21, 2018, 11:17:09 pm »

So if Cohen testified to criminal acts in coordination with Trump, and conspiring to commit a crime is itself a crime, then that must mean...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22791 on: August 21, 2018, 11:17:52 pm »

... presidential pardons for everyone!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22792 on: August 21, 2018, 11:19:35 pm »

I always wondered how the Nixon generation felt about the president during that respective era...

I guess I will have to answer questions asked by young kids about the infamous President Trump.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22793 on: August 21, 2018, 11:29:11 pm »

Aren't the Manafort ones State based charges? Or maybe that's Cohen, Trump literally can't pardon those because he doesn't have the ability to do that for state level charges.

Doing pardons before the midterms will just reap the reaping of the whirlwind and supercharge Dem turnout.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22794 on: August 21, 2018, 11:29:58 pm »

I always wondered how the Nixon generation felt about the president during that respective era...

I guess I will have to answer questions asked by young kids about the infamous President Trump.

That depends. It's quite possible that 2018 is a watershed for the republicans and Trump becomes a lame duck president, losing in 2020. USA has had a very rare run of two-term presidents since Clinton. Three in a row two-termers hasn't happened since the Founding Father's days - who had the whole "heroes of the revolution" thing going for them. Someone at some point's gotta break that 2-term chain, and it's as likely to be Trump as anyone else.

Nixon at least went to a second term. If Trump bails at one term, he might be largely skipped over by later generations who didn't have to live through it, with future generations learning more about the Bush administration and all that went with that. There's actually not that much substantial history to be written about Trump. A businessman who was a blowhard got elected, oversaw a trainwreck administration, didn't achieve anything and got voted out. That's a likely interpretation. Maybe like the evil version of Jimmy Carter.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:36:05 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22795 on: August 21, 2018, 11:36:46 pm »

Yeah, the multiple two terms in a row is rather unusual in US history. Also, with Trumps low approval and some Trump voters having buyers remorse, the Dems would have to fail pretty hard to lose in 2020 IMO.

Also, I wouidn't call Trumps trashing of the international order insubstantial, especially if there are lasting consequences.

As for Trump bailing, I don't see him bailing out, he's going to ride the rollercoaster all the way to it's conclusion.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22796 on: August 21, 2018, 11:37:11 pm »

I dunno, the salacious tale of foreign manipulation, excessive womanizing on govt payroll, systemic corruption, and all that fun stuff--- I think it is more historically interesting than humdrum "normal" stuff, like the passing of the DMCA and pals in prior presidencies.

There's a whole lot of rather important shit happening all at once right now.  The fact that it has been crammed, jackhammer style into less than one year's time does not mean it is not historically very interesting/important.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22797 on: August 21, 2018, 11:45:56 pm »

That depends. It's quite possible that 2018 is a watershed for the republicans and Trump becomes a lame duck president, losing in 2020. USA has had a very rare run of two-term presidents since Clinton. Three in a row two-termers hasn't happened since the Founding Father's days - who had the whole "heroes of the revolution" thing going for them. Someone at some point's gotta break that 2-term chain, and it's as likely to be Trump as anyone else.

Nixon at least went to a second term. If Trump bails at one term, he might be largely skipped over by later generations who didn't have to live through it, with future generations learning more about the Bush administration and all that went with that. There's actually not that much substantial history to be written about Trump. A businessman who was a blowhard got elected, oversaw a trainwreck administration, didn't achieve anything and got voted out. That's a likely interpretation. Maybe like the evil version of Jimmy Carter.

I wouldn't even compare the two, not even as an 'evil version'. Jimmy Carter pissed off his own party from the start, which trainwrecked his adminstration, Trump has the party wrapped around his.... member.... and kissing ass and is trainwrecking for completely different reasons. I didn't get any impression that Jimmy Carter was a blowhard, not in the same way Trump is, and he actually held elected office.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:48:51 pm by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22798 on: August 22, 2018, 02:22:10 am »

We've yet to fully avoid the possibility of succumbing to the results of "Burn it all down, then we'll sift the ashes" intentions by 'revolutionaries'. Or those who just want the whole thing burnt down and were giving the former ones the fuel, matches and comfortable 100% guncotton socks, slacks and shirt.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22799 on: August 22, 2018, 07:16:13 am »

Impeachment talk is suddenly coming into fashion. It is premature, imo, but a sign that the Mueller probe is building momentum. Given that Donald's current lawyer is also apparently cooperating, it's rough stuff for the Trump.

if nothing else this will make it much harder to claim the probe is a bunch of nonsense. Sure, Trump will still say that, but it'll be less believable when his surrogates repeat it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1518 1519 [1520] 1521 1522 ... 3514