Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1560 1561 [1562] 1563 1564 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3594998 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23415 on: September 12, 2018, 05:02:02 pm »

There's nothing in the constitution that's downright impossible to legally change as far as I know.

Add an amendment that repeals all the amendments that don't repeal themselves

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23416 on: September 12, 2018, 05:24:57 pm »

I can never get over the fact that we're still held back because the founders specifically built the country to give extra representation to slaveowners.
Written constitutions in a nutshell. A divine constitution standing as an immemorial covenant for an eternal republic is all fine and well until an eternity has passed and people are unable to make changes, despite the people having changed.
We're perfectly capable of changing the constitution. The issue is that some Einsteinian genius decided to make a subset of the population basically worship the thing, and so they're adverse to changing it AT ALL (although many of that subset are also "MORE CHRISTIAN THAN YOU"s, so they'd be fine as long as the changes coincided with the hoolie bibble.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23417 on: September 12, 2018, 05:30:43 pm »

There's nothing in the constitution that's downright impossible to legally change as far as I know.

Add an amendment that repeals all the amendments that don't repeal themselves

There's also the Constitutional Convention route (some states have that for theirs as well), but I'm sure you know how well that would go down in today's political climate. Theres just too many questions and issues like who gets to decide what and how we would decide on things, etc.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23418 on: September 12, 2018, 05:49:16 pm »

We're perfectly capable of changing the constitution. The issue is that some Einsteinian genius decided to make a subset of the population basically worship the thing, and so they're adverse to changing it AT ALL (although many of that subset are also "MORE CHRISTIAN THAN YOU"s, so they'd be fine as long as the changes coincided with the hoolie bibble.
Written constitutions tend to cause that
When the entirety of your people have one common tie of civic loyalty in a piece of paper, it is inevitable that either the paper will be scrapped or deified

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #23419 on: September 12, 2018, 05:57:56 pm »

All of my problems with the constitution involve how all of the people with the power to fix the constitution benefit from having it being broken.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23420 on: September 12, 2018, 06:43:08 pm »

It is also the worlds most difficult constitution to amend in a very polarized country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23421 on: September 13, 2018, 03:33:12 am »

Amend to that, brother.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23422 on: September 13, 2018, 09:16:27 am »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-questions-number-of-deaths-attributed-to-hurricane-maria-falsely-says-democrats-created-a-higher-count-to-make-him-look-bad/2018/09/13/9519308a-b73b-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html

Trump questions number of deaths attributed to Hurricane Maria, falsely says Democrats created a higher count to make him look bad
Trump’s tweets — which came as a highly dangerous Hurricane Florence churned toward the Carolinas — brought an immediate rebuke from Democrats in Congress, as well as some Republicans.

Rep. Ileana Ros Lehtinen (R-Fla.) said she believes the figure of nearly 3,000 is sound.

“What kind of mind twists that statistic into ‘Oh, fake news is trying to hurt my image,’” she said. “How can you be so self-centered and try to distort the truth so much? It’s mind boggling.”

In a tweet, Sen. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) said only Trump “could see the tragedy in Puerto Rico and conclude that he is the victim. May God bless the souls of the nearly 3,000 Americans that died in Puerto Rico and may he take pity on your soul, Mr. President.”

Man this guy needs a good hard punch in the face.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:19:40 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23423 on: September 13, 2018, 09:18:52 am »

US PRESIDENT Donald Trump has rejected the widely accepted conclusion that nearly 3,000 died in Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria, arguing without evidence that the number was wrong and calling it a plot by Democrats to make him look bad.

A lot of people certainly want to give him a good smack upside the head :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23424 on: September 13, 2018, 09:25:09 am »

BTW, Trump's saying only 18 people actually died during the storm, and he's sticking with that. However, the nature of the new study is different, it's looking at total mortality rates and how they spiked up after the storm, and it's this period after the storm that firmly the responsibility of the federal government to come to the aid of any state/territory in crisis (if not, why do you pay taxes?)

Survey findings support the widespread nature of deaths related to the storm, with about 1 in 5 Puerto Rico residents saying a close friend or family member died either from injuries caused by the storm or because they were unable to get sufficient water, food or medical care in the months afterward.

Which is why Trump's deflecting. These issues are clearly someone dropping the ball. The 'greatest country on Earth' doesn't leave people to die for lack of drinking water.

Trump's a buck-passing piece of shit. The Commander In Chief is ultimately responsible for making sure this stuff gets done. If someone under his command isn't doing their job, it's still the President's job to be on top of that and make sure the incompetent people are replaced or worked-around.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:27:28 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23425 on: September 13, 2018, 10:44:02 am »

With a jackhammer. With a live grenade taped on the end of it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23426 on: September 13, 2018, 11:52:28 am »

Just a big, nice, wet sloppy fish would do really.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23427 on: September 13, 2018, 12:24:21 pm »

What, no burrito?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23428 on: September 13, 2018, 12:38:48 pm »

Just a big, nice, wet sloppy fish would do really.

"It's tremendously big and tremendously wet, tremendous amounts of fish."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23429 on: September 13, 2018, 12:52:34 pm »

Summon Bigger Fish!

(It even works as a plural... Hmmm...)
Pages: 1 ... 1560 1561 [1562] 1563 1564 ... 3515