Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1618 1619 [1620] 1621 1622 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3580628 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24285 on: October 14, 2018, 07:32:39 pm »

Sure.  How about some data in favor of eating the rich?

100 Companies Are to Blame For 71% of The World's Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Further proof that replacing coal with natural gas would help save the planet.

It would be even better to replace natural gas with something else

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24286 on: October 14, 2018, 07:38:51 pm »

There will always be a place for some sort of fuel-based power generation, because renewables or nuclear power can't adapt quickly to drastic changes in power needs, while fuel based systems can.

Of the available options, natural gas is by far the best - not only is it very clean burning, but you can fuel a natural gas plant with methane. Not only is methane something that can be obtained in virtually unlimited supply, it is a dangerous greenhouse gas in and of itself, and can be extracted from the atmosphere relatively easily. This means that dangerous pockets of methane can be harvested (relatively) harmlessly, but also that it can be used as a chemical "battery" for excess renewable-based power.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24287 on: October 14, 2018, 07:47:42 pm »

It would be even better to replace natural gas with something else
Yes, but market pressures are already forcing many utilities to run Natural Gas instead of Coal.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24288 on: October 14, 2018, 09:01:16 pm »

There will always be a place for some sort of fuel-based power generation, because renewables or nuclear power can't adapt quickly to drastic changes in power needs, while fuel based systems can.

Of the available options, natural gas is by far the best - not only is it very clean burning, but you can fuel a natural gas plant with methane. Not only is methane something that can be obtained in virtually unlimited supply, it is a dangerous greenhouse gas in and of itself, and can be extracted from the atmosphere relatively easily. This means that dangerous pockets of methane can be harvested (relatively) harmlessly, but also that it can be used as a chemical "battery" for excess renewable-based power.

mmmmm cow fart power
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24289 on: October 14, 2018, 09:04:40 pm »

You mean... pig gas!

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24290 on: October 14, 2018, 09:06:24 pm »

That is to some degree mitigable by grid storage solutions on a municipal scale, though, and while technologies like pumped hydroelectric or molten salt don't scale down well, hydrogen or superconducting batteries potentially could.

So yes, there's a place, but it's smaller than our fickle power demands would indicate.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24291 on: October 14, 2018, 09:36:36 pm »

Let me just say as a Texan, I never need to use anything except "pardon" and "ya'll" to avoid sticky possible obscure situations, but I have a pre-emptive stutter effect with certain initial sounds so I learned to avoid being locked into saying certain things in a certain way to prevent the syllable blockage, noting that as an asshole I never need to care about any of those situations in the first place, your choosing to be offended and get all frothed up at my innocent mistake is entirely on you and my only obligation is to point and laugh while noting that "u mad" if it comes up.

I mean, saved for what is the question you'll get from these rich fuckers, they can't take it with them, so they're obligated to burn it all up first right?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24292 on: October 14, 2018, 10:59:36 pm »

Strangely enough "guys" has become a gender neutral plural where I'm from.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24293 on: October 14, 2018, 11:07:46 pm »

Strangely enough "guys" has become a gender neutral plural where I'm from.
I use it as one personally.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24294 on: October 15, 2018, 03:41:24 am »

Methane can be harvested from the atmosphere? I thought most air-filtration harvesting methods were about as effective as those ion air purifiers at doing nothing for a steep price.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24295 on: October 15, 2018, 03:46:14 am »

If you compress and chill atmospheric gasses, they will stratify.  Methane has a very very low freezing point, but a reasonably high vapor transition point. (eg, oxygen, nitrogen, and pals will stay gasses while methane will turn liquid.)  CO2 has a pretty high freezing point, comparatively.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24296 on: October 15, 2018, 08:59:41 am »

If you compress and chill atmospheric gasses, they will stratify.  Methane has a very very low freezing point, but a reasonably high vapor transition point. (eg, oxygen, nitrogen, and pals will stay gasses while methane will turn liquid.)  CO2 has a pretty high freezing point, comparatively.

I suspect Kagus was asking if methane harvesting by air liquefaction is economical, not merely if it's possible, given the subsequent comment about price.

So, weird, given your evident familiarity with cryogenic air separation, what is the energy input required to separate out the methane from a given quantity of atmospheric air relative to the energy provided by the methane in that air?

Just to be clear, I am asking for actual numbers here.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24297 on: October 15, 2018, 09:56:01 am »

replace all forms of address with "m8"

problem solved, m8s
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24298 on: October 15, 2018, 10:39:04 am »

G8 idea m8.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24299 on: October 15, 2018, 10:43:30 am »

I suspect Kagus was asking if methane harvesting by air liquefaction is economical, not merely if it's possible, given the subsequent comment about price.

So, weird, given your evident familiarity with cryogenic air separation, what is the energy input required to separate out the methane from a given quantity of atmospheric air relative to the energy provided by the methane in that air?

Just to be clear, I am asking for actual numbers here.
This is veering off Ameripol...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1618 1619 [1620] 1621 1622 ... 3513