Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1619 1620 [1621] 1622 1623 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3608537 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24300 on: October 15, 2018, 10:49:20 am »

Near me, there's a old waste tip, landscaped over but with an installation that seems to be there to collect and burn off the resulting methane seep (otherwise held from escaping by an impermeable below the topping?), and it seems to be running continuously doing something audible with the gases ultimately escaping up its chimney. I don't know how much energy balance there is (is it self-sustaining, except for the offsite power needed to boot it up again should it falter and momentarily extinguish?) but it's obviously there to make sure that methane leaks are denatured down to 'mere' carbon dioxide. At a level below an actual biogas power-station or even CHP complex.

Maybe it does, these days, have enough oomph to supply back into the national grid (assuming it doesn't already, but I'm not convinced). It might compete easily with household rooftop PV panels, trickle-supplying a decent or even complete proportion of the unit.

Fractionally (inversely-)distilling ordinary atmosphere for its methane might be a bit ambitious given the content and extractability of methane, but imagine instead a tip-top installation. Perhaps its power needs could be augmented by the additional planting of an array of panels, allowing a decent land-use other than pure wildlife-haven/dogwalking-circuit for the community. And a tuned quantity of burning could power (perhaps via seebeck-effect energy scraping, no matter what miniature turbines operated before the exhaust) the difference in power-needs of the process and what is readily farmed or accepted as feed-in from the mains grid.

So, cryogenically piping off quantities of methane fuel, heat exchanging the liquid product again against the ground-temperature seep-feed, gives a supply useful for burning somewhere other than here (e.g. mixed into the mains-gas network or provided for use in LPG vehicles). Or it could be sent on to further chemical processing and synthesis into more sequesterable forms that don't result in its being burnt, at all, but perhaps converted into consumer products sufficiently likely to not be arbitrarily polluting in their own futures.

In short, I think it's unlikely the 1 part in 60ish thousand of normal air (by volume) that is methane is economically extractable except maybe as an incidental by-catch alongside other monetisable components (would a million-hectare solar field in the Sahara desert powering various dripping taps of atmospheric components¹ be economic enough given the maintenance issues?), but it might become feasible if specifically targeting 'man-made' sources of the stuff that are already being deliberately funnelled for less ambitious reasons.

G8 idea m8.
Please close the g8 on the way out, then!

(Actually, as well as the typo, I think you're probably being deliberately asa9, as am I.)

¹ Derived from an inverted-chimney sucking in air from high up, perhaps primarily for water condensation to be concentrated and used to irrigate some of the part-shaded fringes of the array as an overall benefit to the region. Numbers could be run on this, I'm sure.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24301 on: October 15, 2018, 11:03:59 am »

Technical discussion would certainly be better suited for the tech/automation/engineering/environment/etc thread.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24302 on: October 15, 2018, 11:11:02 am »

True, but

it sort of got away from me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24303 on: October 15, 2018, 01:23:32 pm »

True, but

it sort of got away from me.
*blink*

Pah, that's as absurd as people talking about not saying Candleja-

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24304 on: October 15, 2018, 01:33:34 pm »

CHIM-PAN-ZEE. ♪♫♬

This is the Ameripol thread now, folks. Absurdity singularity is imminent.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24305 on: October 15, 2018, 01:40:25 pm »

It's been that way for years.

Speaking of which, Willie Nelson has completely outgrown subtlety in his advanced age and has released a new song simply titled "Vote 'Em Out".

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24306 on: October 15, 2018, 01:41:17 pm »

It's been that way for years.

Speaking of which, Willie Nelson has completely outgrown subtlety in his advanced age and has released a new song simply titled "Vote 'Em Out".
Well, iirc, he's never been subtle.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol threaa
« Reply #24307 on: October 15, 2018, 09:59:02 pm »

Meanwhile, Trump has reached levels of science denialism more commonly seen on Flat Earth forums by insisting that he test Elizabeth Warren's DNA "personally."

I'm honestly curious what he would do with a snp chip and a buccal swab. Just...how he thinks it works.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol threaa
« Reply #24308 on: October 15, 2018, 10:55:57 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24309 on: October 15, 2018, 11:10:44 pm »

Yeah, my first reaction was that he's going full Birther again.  Imply, imply, imply.
Second reaction was shipping too, gotta be real.  Unrealistic ships are the best ships.

Third reaction:  This is an issue of one million dollars (even though he instantly denied ever making that bet once called on it, because he's a reflexive liar.)  I... guess I can see why he would want independent verification before donating one of his supposed millions to charity (a charity for women especially- sorry, that's mean)

Fourth reaction: "I will only do it if I can test her personally. That will not be something that I enjoy doing" WHY would he PHRASE IT LIKE THAT.  Oh jeez it's not even an accident, he's... he's making it weirdly personal and physical, why.  He's baiting, right?  He's trying to get people talking about his sexism, because that galvanizes his base more than it helps his opponent.  Fucking hell.

If it was only the first sentence then I'd give the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't consider mouth-swabbing intimate.  No judgement here.  But he had to make it weird.

Edit:  Prediction:  Before this is over, there will be a Pulp Fiction gif discussing cheek swabs instead of foot massages.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:12:56 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24310 on: October 16, 2018, 12:09:38 am »

I'm not concerned about the fucking coffee in my kitchen, I'm concerned about the dead injun in my fucking garage!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24311 on: October 16, 2018, 09:27:35 am »

"Do I have a sign above my house that says "Dead Injun Storage"?"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24312 on: October 16, 2018, 12:52:33 pm »

And why is there a dead pakistani on my couch?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24313 on: October 16, 2018, 12:54:24 pm »

Ah, Ameripol.
Serious discussion, serious discussion, serious discussion, even more serious discussion, tangent, serious discussion, tangent, total derail, why are we on this topic?, who knows?, tangent, tangent....
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24314 on: October 16, 2018, 12:55:41 pm »

Tangent sounds like tangerine in my mind.

You guys like tangerines or what.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 1619 1620 [1621] 1622 1623 ... 3515