Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1689 1690 [1691] 1692 1693 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3579213 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25350 on: November 08, 2018, 05:33:14 pm »

Just as a little florida aside, automatic recounts triggered in florida for senate and governor because they are both within a fraction of 1%.  Governor Gollum is calling this a sleazy and underhanded move by the democrats to subvert a republican win.

Governor Gollum, was governor for some time here and (should) know very well that it's an automatic recount and is just slinging mud because he is Gollum.  I can't believe half the state voted for this man to represent them in the senate.

P.S. Just for those of you who don't live here.  Gollum is Rick Scott.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:38:04 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25351 on: November 08, 2018, 05:52:12 pm »

I've been wondering how many people thought you were misspelling Gillum.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25352 on: November 08, 2018, 06:54:43 pm »

I, for one, did.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25353 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:50 pm »

Kyrsten Sinema just hopped in front of Martha McSally in the latest tally in the AZ Senate race, up 2000 votes now.  According to my best guess (based on what AZ Republic was reporting yesterday) there's probably around 450,000 votes left to count.

Not trying to get my hopes up, but this would be pretty good.  Ditto that the Secretary of State and Public Superintendent look feasible to flip blue as the recount continues really tempers what looked like a a terrible election outside of the House of Reps and dunking on private school vouchers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25354 on: November 08, 2018, 08:02:44 pm »

Getting Arizona would help reduce the Republican edge in the Senate, though Sinema is kind of a conservative/moderate Democrat and would be along the lines of Manchin in that she'd vote with the Republicans sometimes.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25355 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:19 pm »

Good on that too, as long as it's not the 50th or 60th vote on anything really terrible that's a small price to pay.  Plus, I've been primed by Az Election Ads, so she's a former green party member who protested the Iraq war in a Pink Tutu and supports Americans who join The Taliban.  That sounds pretty rad to me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25356 on: November 08, 2018, 08:44:31 pm »

Forgiving people who joined the Taliban doesn't make you a terrorist lover, it makes you a good Christian. An unforgiving Christian is a hypocrite.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25357 on: November 08, 2018, 09:09:33 pm »

Forgiving people who joined the Taliban doesn't make you a terrorist lover, it makes you a good Christian. An unforgiving Christian is a hypocrite.

No, hypocrisy is claiming that one of the most intolerant and deadly religious movements in human history is all about forgiveness. Make no mistake, the peaceful hippy Christian fad is something that started extremely recently; before that, Christians massacred more helpless innocents than the taliban and white supremacists combined.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25358 on: November 08, 2018, 09:51:00 pm »

Meh, there's always been a peaceful hippy side to Christianity (looking at you, Franciscans). It just didn't make for as many juicy stories in the history books as the witch burners and "convert or die" types.

@Karnewarrior: most liberal comic book geeks I know would be just fine with getting rid of The Punisher. He's a shit character who exists primarily as a teenage power/revenge fantasy, and his imagery has been appropriated by the alt-right.

Pertaining to today's shooter, he did indeed have a history of mental illness including prior run-ins with the police. His own mother was apparently worried about what he might do.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25359 on: November 08, 2018, 09:59:06 pm »

No, hypocrisy is claiming that one of the most intolerant and deadly religious movements in human history is all about forgiveness. Make no mistake, the peaceful hippy Christian fad is something that started extremely recently; before that, Christians massacred more helpless innocents than the taliban and white supremacists combined.

The peaceful hippy Christian fad started with some douchebag called Jesus, actually. Sure, many Christians have been hypocrites for a long time, but that doesn't mean you can't point it out.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:01:02 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25360 on: November 08, 2018, 10:01:16 pm »

Meh, there's always been a peaceful hippy side to Christianity (looking at you, Franciscans). It just didn't make for as many juicy stories in the history books as the witch burners and "convert or die" types.
Idunno, I think the story of the Cathars is pretty juicy.  If short-lived.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25361 on: November 08, 2018, 10:26:44 pm »

Idunno, I think the story of the Cathars is pretty juicy.  If short-lived.
Cathars were great. Reincarnation if you fuck up is exactly the sort of elegant "fuck you" to the Adversary I would expect from a omnipotent omniscient deity. Devil creates the Earth to damn souls, captures a bunch of angels in bodies and makes them horny, turns to God to gloat only to find God's smugging so hard it should be illegal because He put one of these at the gates to Hell, turning the entire universe into a machine for teaching Angels exactly why sinning is bad and they shouldn't do it even if it feels good.

If more people believed in smug troll God than believed in wrathful Punisher God, the world would be a better, zanier place.

@Karnewarrior: most liberal comic book geeks I know would be just fine with getting rid of The Punisher. He's a shit character who exists primarily as a teenage power/revenge fantasy, and his imagery has been appropriated by the alt-right.
You know, I've noticed that. It kind of says something about the whole movement that so much of their idolatry comes from hyper-edgy comic book shoot-em-up vigilantes. I'm convinced that everyone in the alt-right is, to some extent, either a manchild or a psychopath manipulating the manchildren.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25362 on: November 08, 2018, 10:41:27 pm »

I'm partial to the Diggers, personally.

Quote from: Gerrard Winstanley
The life of this dark kingly power, which you have made an act of Parliament and oath to cast out, if you search it to the bottom, you shall see it lies within the iron chest of cursed covetousness, who gives the earth to some part of mankind and denies it to another part of mankind: and that part that hath the earth, hath no right from the law of creation to take it to himself and shut out others; but he took it away violently by theft and murder in conquest.
Quote from: Gerrard Winstanley
The power of enclosing land and owning property was brought into the creation by your ancestors by the sword; which first did murder their fellow creatures, men, and after plunder or steal away their land, and left this land successively to you, their children. And therefore, though you did not kill or thieve, yet you hold that cursed thing in your hand by the power of the sword; and so you justify the wicked deeds of your fathers, and that sin of your fathers shall be visited upon the head of you and your children to the third and fourth generation, and longer too, till your bloody and thieving power be rooted out of the land.

Then there's Müntzer, a leader in the German Peasant Wars, who was just way too woke for 1525:

Quote from: Thomas Müntzer
God commands all the birds of the heavens to devour the flesh of the princes and commands the wild animals to drink the blood of the mighty ones.
Quote from: Thomas Müntzer
"Omnia sunt communia, 'All property should be held in common' and should be distributed to each according to his needs, as the occasion required. Any prince, count, or lord who did not want to do this, after first being warned about it, should be beheaded or hanged."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25363 on: November 08, 2018, 11:01:26 pm »

That's pre-communism by like 300 years or so, heh. Though it sounds like something that could end up being a lession in the so called 'tragedy of the commons'.

Anyhoo, Rick Scott is yelling "SHENEINIGHANS!" over Broward and Palm Beach counties. And apparently the Broward county election commissioner has a history of being, well, terrible, which isn't helping things. And as you might expect, Trump is parroting about sheneinighans in Florida without being fully factual.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:06:09 pm by smjjames »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25364 on: November 08, 2018, 11:05:41 pm »

Müntzer's supposed views on property, from what I remember reading, are not mentioned any of his writings, only in his final confessions. It's more likely that this is what the nobility and clergy feared he believed and tortured him into stating that it was what he wanted. Müntzer was still incredibly radical for the time, as from what I understand, he wanted to abolish the nobility and allow peasants and laborers to govern themselves.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:10:08 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 1689 1690 [1691] 1692 1693 ... 3513