Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1693 1694 [1695] 1696 1697 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3587853 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25410 on: November 10, 2018, 10:42:02 am »

No, I refuse to believe it. If we get communism then nobody's shoes will fit, because everyone will share the same pair of shoes. And you'll go to work with ill-fitting shoes if you're lucky that it's your turn for the shoes.*

* About average for the idiotic strawman critiques of Communist ideas that get spread around earnestly.

In fact, and this is a radical idea, you can actually apply the idea of "common ownership" to some things without having to apply it to all things, or magically becoming moronic and forgetting basic common sense about how to organize things.
Simply call it "public ownership" and people will agree

Except that communism went corrupt as hell. Sure, it's possible that a well managed non-authoritarian communist country with low corruption could work, it just hasn't happened yet.

Anyhow, Trump is complaining about and blaming the fires on 'California forestry management practices' again. If he wants to complain about it, maybe he should come over here and run for Governor. Oh wait, we just had an election for Governor....

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25411 on: November 10, 2018, 10:50:28 am »

Anyhow, Trump is complaining about and blaming the fires on 'California forestry management practices' again. If he wants to complain about it, maybe he should come over here and run for Governor. Oh wait, we just had an election for Governor....
wellll, that's probably the result of someone trying to explain the fact that forest fires have been worsened by fire prevention efforts (because forest fires were a natural part of forest development in that area, and humans have suppressed the regular fires into irregular but much larger fires) to him, so he isn't totally wrong. Your forestry management practices are definitely making your fires worse, dudes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25412 on: November 10, 2018, 10:55:17 am »

It's true that the forest management practices are part of the problem, it's just that if he's going to complain and threaten funding over it instead of trying to be helpful and constructive, he should run for California Governor. :P

Well, I would say it is a perfect storm of the following things.

1) Hey, Nature is GREAT, and I am SILLY VALLEY RICH--- Let's build expensive housing in the middle of a forest!
2) No, picking up stuff out of the forest is bad for the wildlife and the ecology! Burning the wood in fireplaces contributes to SMOG! This is CALIFORNIA we are talking about here-- Smog is TEH EVULZ!
3) So um, Anthropogenic climate change is totally a thing, and like-- this area is getting more and more like Arizona by the decade. It's getting hotter and drier all the time. The aquifers are nearly dry from over exploitation from our agricultural activities, and shit is getting real yo.

With ever greater emphasis on item 3 as time goes on.

While I get the rich person caricature, it's not JUST the rich people, regular people have been building homes in forests in wildfire prone areas.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:59:30 am by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25413 on: November 10, 2018, 10:56:25 am »

Except that communism went corrupt as hell. Sure, it's possible that a well managed non-authoritarian communist country with low corruption could work, it just hasn't happened yet.
Has anyone run a capitalist system without corruption?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25414 on: November 10, 2018, 11:00:36 am »

Has anyone run a capitalist system without corruption?

Note that I said low, not zero.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25415 on: November 10, 2018, 11:02:26 am »

top bants

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #25416 on: November 10, 2018, 11:06:50 am »

Note that I said low, not zero.
*Cries in Brazilian*

We got the short end of the stick here.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25417 on: November 10, 2018, 11:12:33 am »

The problem with human government is that it contains humans.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25418 on: November 10, 2018, 11:36:10 am »

I'm working on fixing that, don't worry.

Skynet.exe goes live in 2025. Just survive until then.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25419 on: November 10, 2018, 11:50:37 am »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25420 on: November 10, 2018, 12:06:52 pm »

Totally forgot the fucking aussie trees,
[citations needed]

Lol u don't believe in exploding Aussie trees?
As far as I'm concerned, everything in the Down Under is capable of exploding at will just to fuck with people, including koalas.
But of course I meant the two claims actually made in that post.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #25421 on: November 10, 2018, 12:46:03 pm »

Well, I would say it is a perfect storm of the following things.

1) Hey, Nature is GREAT, and I am SILLY VALLEY RICH--- Let's build expensive housing in the middle of a forest!
2) No, picking up stuff out of the forest is bad for the wildlife and the ecology! Burning the wood in fireplaces contributes to SMOG! This is CALIFORNIA we are talking about here-- Smog is TEH EVULZ!
3) So um, Anthropogenic climate change is totally a thing, and like-- this area is getting more and more like Arizona by the decade. It's getting hotter and drier all the time. The aquifers are nearly dry from over exploitation from our agricultural activities, and shit is getting real yo.

With ever greater emphasis on item 3 as time goes on.
In regards to smog (not wildfires) I'd say California is pretty deep in denial about its car culture.  LA in particular.  I've never been anywhere else in the country where a fricken 12 lane highway gets traffic jams.  Bag tax ain't going to fix that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25422 on: November 10, 2018, 12:58:52 pm »

I believe some of the problem is due to poor urban planning in LA. The state of the public transportation system could also be an issue.

But yeah, LA's traffic jams are legendary.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25423 on: November 10, 2018, 01:03:40 pm »

Buses are for poors.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25424 on: November 10, 2018, 01:45:22 pm »

The problem is that our rural counties vote Republican, and Republicans turn every forest management program into corporate welfare or just plain turning forests over to logging companies for keeps.

What we need is periodic natural burns, and they need to be less severe. And in order to do that, our towns need to be defensible... but then the rural places which most need to be defensible are also extremely poor and you aren't going to get people to be able to upgrade their homes to be mostly fireproof.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 1693 1694 [1695] 1696 1697 ... 3514