Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1694 1695 [1696] 1697 1698 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534800 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25425 on: November 10, 2018, 01:49:42 pm »

Why not just build a wall to keep the fire out?  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25426 on: November 10, 2018, 02:13:33 pm »

The state legislature is Democrat dominated though pttg, so, the blame isn't all on Republicans.

Florida recounts have begun for three races, Senate, Governor, and Agriculture Commissioner.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25427 on: November 10, 2018, 02:22:03 pm »

Florida Man is in a perpetual state of indecision.

Help Him
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25428 on: November 10, 2018, 03:44:05 pm »

Start committing arson.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25429 on: November 10, 2018, 03:56:45 pm »

Totally forgot the fucking aussie trees, and no, it has little to nothing to do with the climate for a simple reason: warmer climactic periods are LESS arid, sounds crazy but the reason we have large deserts now is because of all the water locked up in various ice caps. Just because the idea seems intuitively fine that hot=arid it doesn't matter if reality disagrees, same with the projections of increased storm intensity/frequency which somehow overlook that storms are driven by the magnitude of the local temperature differences from the equator to the pole, guess what goes down in a warmer planet?
[citations needed]
For what, aridity being higher during glacials? For fucking carnot heat engine efficiency? I thought you knew this stuff man.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25430 on: November 10, 2018, 04:17:29 pm »

I want to post "Did you just assume his gender" but I'm too cowardly to go full edgelord.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25431 on: November 10, 2018, 04:18:49 pm »

"DID YOU JUST...

...Ignore the possibility of droughts caused by changing weather patterns worsened by climste change?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25432 on: November 10, 2018, 05:18:28 pm »

"DID YOU JUST...

...Ignore the possibility of droughts caused by changing weather patterns worsened by climste change?
When they're presented as a broad and widening thing? Fuck yes I did, it is lying to the layman and it is the worst sin in science. Ice ages are arid, deserts expanded vastly, the sahara is a remnant of the glacial deserts, you want to see what happens when you have a massive ice sheet, look at Antarctica, the largest desert on the planet, literal fucktons of water right there, hard as rock, dry as stone.

To assume that THIS point in time is when we reach the apex of aridity and that it somehow drops off if we enter a warmer climate AND a colder climate is absurd just from a philosophical standpoint, nevermind the physical implausibilities required to support this idea. Somehow we're going to melt the last ice caps and simultaneously turn half the planet into deserts?

I get it, burning oil is shitty, I love cars but we have better things to do with petroleum anyways, and burning lighter distillates of it isn't one of them. Moving away from oil and coal and gas is important, but I can't help but think honesty in the presentation of science is important as well. A big part of that is being able to say "I don't know" or better yet "I'm not certain, but if X holds, then Y following is supported by Z models for these reasons with these assumptions as can be found in blah blah blah" which will probably end up with your audience having their eyes glaze over sadly. I always liked reading through this stuff, but I had to swear off arguing about it, too much time I could have been doing something fun like hurting myself with woodworking tools or picking my nose. I'll gladly provide links to read through and make your own inferences from if you're interested, with the note that you shouldn't believe me, as I do not have perfect information about the future or the past, nor does anyone else. Asking questions and hunting for answers is always a noble pursuit.

Quote from: The IPCC AR5 Physical Science Chapter
Changes  in  the  water  cycle  are  projected  to  occur  in  a  warming  climate  (TFE.1,  Figure  3,  see  also  TS  4.6,  TS  5.6,  Annex I). Global-scale precipitation is projected to gradually increase in the 21st century. The precipitation increase is projected to be much smaller (about 2% K–1) than the rate of lower tropospheric water vapour increase (about 7% K–1), due to global energetic constraints. Changes of average precipitation in a much warmer world will not be uniform, with some regions experiencing increases, and others with decreases or not much change at all. The high latitude land masses are likely to experience greater amounts of precipitation due to the additional water carrying capacity of the warmer troposphere. Many mid-latitude and subtropical arid and semi-arid regions will likely experience less precipitation. The largest precipitation changes over northern Eurasia and North America are projected to occur during the winter. {12.4.5, Annex I}
Italics theirs, unnecessarily vague wording which could suggest a majority of regions bolded by me, link here: https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/wg1/WG1AR5_TS_FINAL.pdf

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25433 on: November 10, 2018, 05:33:51 pm »

I can't help but think honesty in the presentation of science is important as well. A big part of that is being able to say "I don't know" or better yet "I'm not certain, but if X holds, then Y following is supported by Z models for these reasons with these assumptions as can be found in blah blah blah" which will probably end up with your audience having their eyes glaze over sadly.
If it helps, actual scientists mostly agree with you. It's science journalism's fault, abetted by some widely hated sellouts.

See, for example, IPCC documents showing no discernible trend in various forms of adverse weather (hurricanes, floods, droughts, that sort of thing) that people "think" are getting worse. If you can find those documents, because they sure don't like spreading them around.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25434 on: November 10, 2018, 05:39:55 pm »

The point about more overall precipitation is quite valid, and I honestly don't keep up with the journals and such. What's interesting is how the SW is adjusting, or not doing so.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25435 on: November 10, 2018, 10:10:04 pm »

The state legislature is Democrat dominated though pttg, so, the blame isn't all on Republicans.

Florida recounts have begun for three races, Senate, Governor, and Agriculture Commissioner.

Local stuff, like rural county leadership positions, can be astonishingly Republican.

So I looked into it and it's actually not even a forest management thing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25436 on: November 10, 2018, 10:53:57 pm »

Local stuff, like rural county leadership positions, can be astonishingly Republican.

So I looked into it and it's actually not even a forest management thing.

That article doesn't even say say that it's not even a forest management thing. Just saying that the article isn't saying what you say it's saying.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:56:40 pm by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25437 on: November 10, 2018, 11:01:39 pm »

I didn't get that, either. OTOH, elsewhere I've seen it given that a) 95+% of the forestry in Cal is Fed controlled, not State controlled, b) A Fed department that Trump cut funding for, c) These aren't forest fires, anyway, but scrubland fires (on land similarly managed outwith the State government, similarly hit by Trumpian funding cuts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25438 on: November 10, 2018, 11:05:50 pm »

He's threatened to cut funding, but hasn't actually cut funding as far as I'm aware.

Also, in other California news, Rep. Dana Rorhabacher, aka Putins favorite congressman, has officially lost his seat.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25439 on: November 10, 2018, 11:09:56 pm »

I don't care about California fires because that's like a billion miles away and there are probably plains in the way or something so I'm fine. We don't have fires. Why not? I don't know why, but I do know it is most likely due to our moral superiority. Why can't you be good people like us, California?
Buses are for poors.
New York has buses, New York is rich.

Therefore, people who do not have public transport are poor. QED.

On an unrelated note:
Florida Man is in a perpetual state of indecision.

Help Him
Andrew Gillum has rescinded his concession. Florida please, get your shit together. Just, just once, ok? It's embarrassing

Meanwhile the democrat, Sinema, is leading by a slightly less thin margin in Arizona, although there are still many votes left to count.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1694 1695 [1696] 1697 1698 ... 3511