Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1695 1696 [1697] 1698 1699 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592609 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25440 on: November 10, 2018, 11:15:16 pm »

Let's not be so hard on Florida.  Here... my home state will take it on themselves to make Florida look good.  Aren't we nice like that?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25441 on: November 10, 2018, 11:19:24 pm »

PTTG just seems to be operating on the assumption that if Trump said something, the opposite must be true. Doing a google search with the date range set before Trump's statements reveals many, many sources saying California wildfires are a forestry management issue. It seems to be a Trump Derangement thing similar to Obama Derangement. As soon as Trump says something, we have to automatically contradict it, even if we'd have agreed with it before.

If it's not mismanagement, are we giving humans a free pass on mismanagement, and saying it's just an unaccountable natural disaster, like in that article linked?

https://www.courthousenews.com/cal-fire-chief-blames-wildfires-mismanaged-forests/

Cal Fire Chief Blames Wildfires on Mismanaged Forests
“At one point in time in my life, we used to ask the question ‘I wonder if this is going to be a bad fire season?’” Committee Chair Richard Bloom, D-Santa Monica, said. “We don’t ask that question anymore. We ask, ‘How bad is it going to be?’”

Pimlott said climate change and decades of poorly managed forests are causing longer fire seasons that stress resources and require new tools and methods to counteract.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-fire-perspectives-20171022-story.html

Even though the current fire season has burned less acreage than in 2012 or 2015, it has claimed the highest number of fatalities. This tragedy, as [Historian Stephen] Pyne sees it, is the culmination of nearly a century of failed fire management practices that have been unable to address the increasing escalation — and conflict — between California's growing population and development, and California's intrinsic "fire proneness."

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2015-09-14/raging-wildfires-in-california-destruction-through-mismanagement/

I think the biggest illusion that we are living in, is how we think about these kinds of natural disasters. The California drought and wildfires are in many ways human induced to the scale that we are feeling them. Yes, I said it, the scale of these disasters are more human made than they are natural.

Why is it human made? I’m not just talking about human influence of climate change, which clearly in my opinion is a major source of the macro pattern playing out on this planet and inducing natural disasters like these in California. That being said, it goes much beyond human made climate change. In short, it’s our mismanagement of our ecosystem that is too blame.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/10/12/16458242/risk-wildfires-worse-climate-change-california-san-francisco-los-angeles

The California fires stretch the definition of “natural disaster” because human activities have exacerbated their likelihood, their extent, and their damage. Deliberate decisions and unintended consequences of urban development over decades have turned many parts of the state into a tinderbox.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:45:09 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25442 on: November 10, 2018, 11:27:02 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't complaining about the fact that he said it was forest management practices, they are a major factor along with a bunch of other things, I was just being like 'if he's just going to complain and threaten instead of being helpful or constructive, he should come over here and be governor since he wants to deal with it so badly'.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25443 on: November 10, 2018, 11:38:15 pm »

Let's not be so hard on Florida.  Here... my home state will take it on themselves to make Florida look good.  Aren't we nice like that?
Oh, you're from Indiana? ...you have my sympathies.

That said, that seems to be a case of local superfailure. In Florida, failure tends to evenly distribute itself throughout the whole of the state: consider that Florida now has, for the first time, a recount of every single county.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25444 on: November 10, 2018, 11:46:54 pm »

That's just the 0.5% recount margin kicking in via Florida law, not due to any particular faliure. While there could plausibly be problems in the areas hit by the hurricane, the 'WTF is going on?' focus is on Broward atm. There were some reports of issues going on in Palm Beach county, but those have since been overshadowed by the sheer mess that Broward county is.

They also have a bunch of deadlines that could be impossible to meet simply due to the sheer amount of votes that have to be recounted.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:48:38 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25445 on: November 10, 2018, 11:52:27 pm »

That's exactly the point of my joke though. A failure in one county = the entire god-damn state has a recount. It's an even distribution of failure.

Florida has been an experiment in communism all along, and we never knew.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25446 on: November 10, 2018, 11:54:59 pm »

That's exactly the point of my joke though. A failure in one county = the entire god-damn state has a recount. It's an even distribution of failure.

Florida has been an experiment in communism all along, and we never knew.
But it would have happened even without the failure in one county.  It was purely a matter of the state-level margin of victory.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25447 on: November 11, 2018, 12:04:23 am »

I don't suppose they can ask for a second recount in Broward only?

Also, imagine a full state recount for California.................. ......... ............. .............

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25448 on: November 11, 2018, 01:14:54 am »

Look, I'm going to keep making fun of Florida until someone can prove to me that not everything going on down there is the result of needless incompetence and/or worse. Which is to say that I am not going to stop any time soon.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25449 on: November 11, 2018, 01:21:11 am »

H A N G I N G

C

H

A

D

S
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25450 on: November 11, 2018, 03:40:07 am »

Trump has successfully prevented a clear discussion of how climate change has caused this California fire season. Never mind the impossible drought and severe, unseasonal winds that drove the fire spread.

And yes, if Trump said the Sky was blue, I would be pretty confident that the sky was red or green or anything else besides blue, sight unseen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25451 on: November 11, 2018, 05:22:35 am »

H A N G I N G

C

H

A

D

S

But what about Stacy?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25452 on: November 11, 2018, 05:24:33 am »

H A N G I N G

C

H

A

D

S

But what about Stacy?
Feminids can be reconfigured for useful purposes, so long as you don't let them exercise too much free will. Chads are simply an obstacle to civilized society.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25453 on: November 11, 2018, 07:06:43 am »

Uh oh.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25454 on: November 11, 2018, 09:04:28 am »

For what, aridity being higher during glacials? For fucking carnot heat engine efficiency? I thought you knew this stuff man.
Oh, man. I can't respond now. I'll reply sometime later in the Science thread, so as not to derail this one. See you there.
Pages: 1 ... 1695 1696 [1697] 1698 1699 ... 3515