Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1808 1809 [1810] 1811 1812 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595211 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27135 on: January 09, 2019, 03:47:02 pm »

Trump may also just be desperately trying to keep this under the public radar.

In short: Manafort gave private polling data to Russian agents during the 2016 campaign, and Mueller feels confident he can prove that in court.

If you wanted a smocking gun regarding Russian collusion, this isn't quite it, but it's very close.

Well, it's not quite a smoking gun regarding Russian collusion for Trump, but it's a smoking gun as far as Manafort goes.

The big question is what did Trump and his team know and when, and possibly whether his team tried to shield him from things like that. When the explaination comes out of the Mueller report, it's not going to be a simple explaination as much as everybody would like one, it's going to be a complex branching chain of events.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:49:15 pm by smjjames »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27136 on: January 09, 2019, 03:47:33 pm »

the smocking pun
the Grail of gunsmockers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27137 on: January 09, 2019, 03:54:21 pm »

I wish we could go back to the innocent halcyon days of presidents getting impeached for lying about BJ's.

Bill Clinton lied during testimony, which is far different than lying to the public at large.

Criticizing Clinton for lying about sex acts is old hat. Criticize him for Glass–Steagall if you want to talk policy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27138 on: January 09, 2019, 03:57:31 pm »

Yea, I was like 'Get to the point already!' about halfway through, hence my comment about whoever wrote it doesn't know how to write a good speech, or maybe it was hashed out in a hurry, but I suspect a good speechwriter would still make a better one if they were in a hurry. I think it would have been better if he wasn't following a script, or at least more entertaining.

As I also said, it sounded, if anything, like trying to build a case for doing a national emergency, which it could plausibly have been written down for in case he decided to do that, but he ended up not.

You know, I heard it differently. It followed, very closely the form that other speeches and addresses tend to follow. Go listen to almost any state of the union address from the last couple of decades. This could be a slice out of one of those easily, in form, if not in content.

If you're going to knock the speechwriter on this one, you have to knock political speech writing in general. This was a rare example of Trump actually sounding like a politician and actually following a more or less normal script.

That said, this isn't what people expect from Trump, it's uncomfortable, unusual, and aside from that, just plain boring when compared to his usual antics.

Waste of everyone's time, but at least the whole boring spectacle was only about 20 minutes, even when you add in the Schumer-Pelosi Show afterwards.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27139 on: January 09, 2019, 05:29:50 pm »

Well, if you want Trump's usual antics, he's loudly storming out of shutdown negotiations now. There's also this piece, from which I'll quote below:

“You’re using people as leverage. Why won’t you open the government and stop hurting people?” Schumer said.

According to the source, Trump replied: “Because then you won’t give me what I want.”

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27140 on: January 09, 2019, 05:56:01 pm »

It sounds like it might be much easier to control Trump if people just lied.

He asks, "I'll sign anything you give me now if I get a wall in 30 days."

Just say OK. Lie to him. He won't remember it in 30 minutes, let alone a month.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27141 on: January 09, 2019, 06:08:37 pm »

I wish we could go back to the innocent halcyon days of presidents getting impeached for lying about BJ's.

Bill Clinton lied during testimony, which is far different than lying to the public at large.

Criticizing Clinton for lying about sex acts is old hat. Criticize him for Glass–Steagall if you want to talk policy.

I'm explaining why Clinton getting impeached is not valid precedent for impeaching Trump for lying to the public.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27142 on: January 09, 2019, 06:09:23 pm »

I mean, presumably Mitch has already tried this.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27143 on: January 09, 2019, 06:33:58 pm »

EDIT: Nope, crap post. Disregard.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27144 on: January 09, 2019, 09:48:43 pm »

It would be easier if he ever said that, but he doesn't. He says "gimme my wall." Then he storms out of the room if he hears anything but "yes." It's how he's always operated: he's always had Daddy's money to fall back on, so he's had no incentive to accept anything but total capitulation.

I suspect that's also why McConnell is staying out of this pending Trump's public support for something: there's literally no way to negotiate with him.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27145 on: January 09, 2019, 10:45:16 pm »

Has anybody pointed out that Manafort has the bestest lawyers and when they were redacting shit from a document for the court they apparently didn't realize that highlighting text in black on a computer by no means makes it unreadable, because my gods we're not even two weeks into this year and I'm fucking completely and fully dumbfounded at the benny hill type of shit going on in D.C. already.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27146 on: January 09, 2019, 10:48:36 pm »

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but I definitely noticed it. You'd think competence that basic would be a standard thing, but apparently not for whatever barrel bottom they've dug through to find people to represent these chucklefucks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27147 on: January 09, 2019, 10:53:26 pm »

Trump is going to pardon him anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27148 on: January 09, 2019, 11:41:08 pm »

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but I definitely noticed it. You'd think competence that basic would be a standard thing, but apparently not for whatever barrel bottom they've dug through to find people to represent these chucklefucks.

There was some suggestion in the paranoid twitterverse that it might have been intentional. They caught the lawyers passing info to Trump's team earlier, so this time they're just "Ooops"ing the info out into the public where Trump's team can gather it.

Not sure I buy it, incompetence is so much simpler a solution, but it's an interesting angle.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:46:34 am by sluissa »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27149 on: January 10, 2019, 06:08:03 am »

Trump is going to pardon him anyway.

I think this has gotten much less likely for two reasons.

First, pardoning someone removes their Fifth Amendment right to avoid testifying about whatever crimes they did, since they can't incriminate themselves if their actions are no longer criminal by Presidential fiat. That matters now that the Democrats have subpoena power. In this case, it would effectively signal that there are more crimes involving Trump to which Manafort has yet to admit (because otherwise why pardon him?) while also giving the House a green light to ask him about them.

Second, it would give the obstruction of justice investigation an entirely new dimension. Remember, Trump's legal team wants at all costs to keep him from ever having to say anything under oath; apart from all the other reasons, all their mock interviews have been nightmares. This would be like firing Comey all over again.
Pages: 1 ... 1808 1809 [1810] 1811 1812 ... 3515