Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1821 1822 [1823] 1824 1825 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595759 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27330 on: January 16, 2019, 01:12:21 pm »

This just in, US Goverment declars War on Memes.
If Hillary and the EU are anything to go by, the war has already begun

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27331 on: January 16, 2019, 01:13:14 pm »

No, that would be following the EU into something, and we're too cool for that.

:P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27332 on: January 16, 2019, 01:19:04 pm »

But you have to have a war on some sort of concept maaan. Otherwise the military has wayy too much time on their hands and they might start getting ideas, you get a military with ideas and you're gonna have a bad time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27333 on: January 16, 2019, 01:20:12 pm »

Voldemort should have just stayed in his shriveled baby form and wrote memes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27334 on: January 16, 2019, 01:23:04 pm »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27335 on: January 16, 2019, 01:59:40 pm »

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/01/harry-potter-magic-liberalism-fantasy-fetishism
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2018/06/20/compare-literally-everything-in-politics-to-harry-potter-maybe-stop/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.835b2f958119
There are a lot of people salty about politics + pop culture, and those people are literally Cersei Lannister
That first link had me rollin', man.
"MERITOCRACY ISN'T REAL, YOU LIBERAL CUCKS! STOP BELIEVING IN MAGIC LIKE 'GOOD INTENTIONS' AND SUBMIT TO THE WILL OF MAMMON THE FREE MARKET!"

How dare those liberals enjoy some fantasy universe where good people exist?! Fuck you, Marx!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #27336 on: January 16, 2019, 02:02:26 pm »

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/01/harry-potter-magic-liberalism-fantasy-fetishism
"demmm millenials"
*shakes fist*
*dentures fall out*

Seriously whoever wrote that doesn't get Harry Potter.  The main reason the books clicked with people was because they related to Harry's life in the first few chapters before he went to Hogwarts.  Which is kind of sad because of how awful his life was but there it is.  Its an escapist fantasy about someone coming and fixing your life in an instant.  Think about it: Harry starts out as a poor, bullied nerd with a terrible family situation.  Then in like a day he's suddenly a rich jock hanging out with the cool kids and bullying other people, and his family is replaced with a bunch of surrogate father figures who all act like cool uncles instead of dads.  All liking those books says about you is that when you were 13 you hated your life.

Also did conservatives not grow up reading Harry Potter?  I know in the more religious parts of the country there was a strong effort to keep it out of libraries and schools so its obviously not going to be as relatable to 20-something conservatives as 20-something liberals.  But I feel like if they actually got the books kids in red states would like it as much as kids in blue states.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27337 on: January 16, 2019, 02:10:04 pm »

All liking those books says about you is that when you were 13 you hated your life.
:-\
I quite liked the books and my life as a child was quite enjoyable. I never even went through a particularly rebellious phase, unlike most teens.

I liked the books because they were about fighting magic nazis with magic lasers and Hermione and Luna were top-tier waifu bait.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27338 on: January 16, 2019, 02:12:48 pm »

Your memes end here, Jack!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27339 on: January 16, 2019, 02:22:10 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2018/06/20/compare-literally-everything-in-politics-to-harry-potter-maybe-stop/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.835b2f958119
There are a lot of people salty about politics + pop culture, and those people are literally Cersei Lannister
Lord Vetinari would be amused, and probably get someone like Moist von Lipwig to 'do something about it' (something useful, that is, rather than quash it).

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #27340 on: January 16, 2019, 10:22:44 pm »

Pelosi is saying that she has cancelled the State of the Union Address, over the shutdown.

...as if anyone could possibly stop Trump from addressing the nation. I wonder how many tweets he's going to use up for this one?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27341 on: January 16, 2019, 10:25:43 pm »

Or he could just embed images of the pages of the speech into the tweets.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27342 on: January 16, 2019, 11:06:24 pm »

Pelosi is saying that she has cancelled the State of the Union Address, over the shutdown.

...as if anyone could possibly stop Trump from addressing the nation. I wonder how many tweets he's going to use up for this one?

Well, if it's the same length as last year's State of the Union, 112, assuming he uses an average of five periods to begin and end each tweet like he normally does.

EDIT: Tweeting the SOTU after Hamberdergate would be the most Trumpian thing possible. All we need to do is to get Ann Coulter to say he's weak for accepting Pelosi's invitation and we're there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:37:29 pm by Trekkin »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27343 on: January 17, 2019, 12:09:48 am »

Does she even have that power?  That's normally a Presidential thing, after all.  The most she and other Congressional Democrats can do is decline to attend.  After all, the present State of the Union address is only by convention; before 1913 it was a written report (thank you, Woodrow Wilson), and there's no obligation to even make it solely to Congress so long as Congress is also appraised as per the Constitution.  It's not even obligated to be given in any time frame more specific than "from time to time," except by convention.

I'll admit, though, all I had heard was that she asked Trump to delay it earlier today, not that she herself cancelled his address.  My news could easily not be up to date.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:11:29 am by Culise »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27344 on: January 17, 2019, 12:21:21 am »

Does she even have that power?  That's normally a Presidential thing, after all.  The most she and other Congressional Democrats can do is decline to attend. 

Actually, she does have that power provided her caucus votes accordingly; the joint session required for the conventional State of the Union requires resolutions passed by both the House and the Senate, which effectively jointly constitute the invitation for the President to give the address. Absent that resolution, there's no State of the Union.
Pages: 1 ... 1821 1822 [1823] 1824 1825 ... 3515