Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1822 1823 [1824] 1825 1826 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595761 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27345 on: January 17, 2019, 02:39:19 am »

Has the State of the Union ever been skipped before?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #27346 on: January 17, 2019, 03:53:37 am »

Has the State of the Union ever been skipped before?

According to Google, the SotU was rescheduled only once, after the challenger explosion. But this would be the first time the House Speaker canceled it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27347 on: January 17, 2019, 03:57:48 am »

As far as I know, this is also the first time that a government shutdown was explicitly intentional on behalf of the executive as well...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27348 on: January 17, 2019, 06:30:44 am »

Trump's Twitter feed: "First!"

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27349 on: January 17, 2019, 06:33:50 am »

While it's hardly a plan without risk, letting Trump talk seems to be the best strategy against him so far. Trying to silence him is only going to backfire on her.

Last State of the Union really wasn't that bad for him, but nothing really bad had happened yet either. Let him try to spin this at a formal occasion without sounding dumb, petty or childish. Apparently polling on the national address he gave is quite bad. Only about 2% of people said it changed their minds on anything and the wall is still unpopular with the majority.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27350 on: January 17, 2019, 07:00:53 am »

While it's hardly a plan without risk, letting Trump talk seems to be the best strategy against him so far. Trying to silence him is only going to backfire on her.

Last State of the Union really wasn't that bad for him, but nothing really bad had happened yet either. Let him try to spin this at a formal occasion without sounding dumb, petty or childish. Apparently polling on the national address he gave is quite bad. Only about 2% of people said it changed their minds on anything and the wall is still unpopular with the majority.

I think she's banking on the impossibility of actually silencing him. He cannot be prevented from delivering the information to Congress, and he can certainly choose to do it in the form of a public address. He'll just make that address from either the White House or the Senate floor, and it'll look like his last one did.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27351 on: January 17, 2019, 07:36:30 am »

She's not really calling for it to be cancelled, last I saw the message. It's specifically either to delay it, or submit the speech in writing -- notably, the latter was fairly common for parts of our history. Or not be invited to present the sotu before the house.

Also note that the reason Pelosi is giving for this is security concerns, due to the whole, y'know, security not getting paid at the moment. There's an extra option here to stop the shitfan assembling, fund the people running security, and go about things vaguely as normal.

E: ... though yeah, she probably is kinda' banking on the shitgibbon pitching a fit over it, not exactly the best look for him when he's screwing our government and economy over a fucking vanity project. It's a pretty safe bet it'll happen, all things considered.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:39:16 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27352 on: January 17, 2019, 07:47:32 am »

She's not really calling for it to be cancelled, last I saw the message. It's specifically either to delay it, or submit the speech in writing -- notably, the latter was fairly common for parts of our history. Or not be invited to present the sotu before the house.

Also note that the reason Pelosi is giving for this is security concerns, due to the whole, y'know, security not getting paid at the moment. There's an extra option here to stop the shitfan assembling, fund the people running security, and go about things vaguely as normal.

E: ... though yeah, she probably is kinda' banking on the shitgibbon pitching a fit over it, not exactly the best look for him when he's screwing our government and economy over a fucking vanity project. It's a pretty safe bet it'll happen, all things considered.

At this point is there anyone in the current line of succession that we'd trust with the job more than Trump?

I've got a soft spot for Ben Carson's combination pokemon/sim city meme based policy. But that's the closest I'll come to saying I approve of any of them.

For now... I guess... security is a thing to think about. Not to say that wiping the slate clean would necessarily be worse. But it'd be embarrassing from a world stage standpoint.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27353 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:04 am »

At this point even fucking pence, vile zealot he is, would be better off for the country. And probably little to no worse for the demographics he'd set out to oppress.

Beyond that, hey. Pelosi's pretty high up the line of succession, iirc. There's non-GOP on the list, maybe even one or two of those somewhere that hasn't guzzled the reactionary koolaid. I'd trust a fucking magic eight ball with the job more than I would trump at this point.
Ask not!
Ask!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27354 on: January 17, 2019, 08:11:56 am »

I'll take Trump's blustery buffoonery and not getting anything done over what someone with political skills could get done. And the possibility of him turning into a martyr? Fuck that.

We got ourselves into this mess. Let it run its course and fix it next time around unless and until there's an indisputably good reason to interrupt it.

As much as I didn't want Trump as president, thus far he's been the perfect model of what I would have wanted out of Trump. A complete failure and embarrassment that leaves a bad taste in our mouth for generations and causes us to seriously rethink core tenants and values of our political system. Only slight disappointment is the 40-someodd percent that still seem to support him through thick and thin hamburger patties. I never expected complete repudiation of him, but 40% is higher than I'd like to see. Dangerously close to re-election if democrats don't get their heads out of their asses.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27355 on: January 17, 2019, 08:28:44 am »

We're looking at something approaching the great depression or worse if the shutdown doesn't stop by around march, much bloody preferably much earlier. There's around eight hundred thousand immediate good reasons to interrupt, several million indirect ones, and potentially literally the entire goddamn planet's economy being threatened by this current mess. Gods know what the fuck happens when the SNAP funds (and similar programs) that are currently under threat cease. Never mind the near complete fucking ruination that's been being inflicted on our state apparatus this whole time.

Trump and co have, in fact, been getting shit done. Not all of the big shit, but there's been plenty of smaller shit, much of which a competent political operator wouldn't have fucked with even if they were trying to shove the GOP's shit sandwich of a policy platform down everyone's throat. Again, at this point, I'd take even pence (mind, I'd take him over fucking mcconnell, too, for what it's worth). One of the few things worse than zealous malice is malice tied to dementia and organization crippling intransigence.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27356 on: January 17, 2019, 09:19:09 am »

I can't post links right now, but the Wall Street Journal appears to be reporting that Cohen paid a substantial sum of money (for which he was reimbursed by the Trump campaign) to an IT company for an attempt to rig pills in Trump's favor.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27358 on: January 17, 2019, 11:14:59 am »

One news outlet (Huffington Post I think it was) claims that Cohen paid the IT firm with a Walmart sack full of cash and a boxing glove, and supposedly only paid about 30% of what was owed.  I can't decide if that's too outlandish to be true or too accurate to not be true.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27359 on: January 17, 2019, 11:19:15 am »

We're looking at something approaching the great depression or worse if the shutdown doesn't stop by around march, much bloody preferably much earlier. There's around eight hundred thousand immediate good reasons to interrupt, several million indirect ones, and potentially literally the entire goddamn planet's economy being threatened by this current mess. Gods know what the fuck happens when the SNAP funds (and similar programs) that are currently under threat cease. Never mind the near complete fucking ruination that's been being inflicted on our state apparatus this whole time.

Trump and co have, in fact, been getting shit done. Not all of the big shit, but there's been plenty of smaller shit, much of which a competent political operator wouldn't have fucked with even if they were trying to shove the GOP's shit sandwich of a policy platform down everyone's throat. Again, at this point, I'd take even pence (mind, I'd take him over fucking mcconnell, too, for what it's worth). One of the few things worse than zealous malice is malice tied to dementia and organization crippling intransigence.

Link to those saying it'd be approaching the Great Depression or worse if it doesn't end by March? I haven't seen anything like that. The economy is getting hurt, yes and it's going to hurt more if it continues, but I haven't heard of anything saying that we're headed for something as lethal as the Great Depression.

Course though, theres the economic ripple effects from a no-deal Brexit which might get magnified due to the shutdown but otherwise would be manageable for us.

One news outlet (Huffington Post I think it was) claims that Cohen paid the IT firm with a Walmart sack full of cash and a boxing glove, and supposedly only paid about 30% of what was owed.  I can't decide if that's too outlandish to be true or too accurate to not be true.

Was a boxing glove seriously in there? Unless it was some sort of collectors edition or Muhammad Alis glove or something, it seems like an utterly silly thing to have in there.
Pages: 1 ... 1822 1823 [1824] 1825 1826 ... 3515