Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592939 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27420 on: January 17, 2019, 09:09:09 pm »

We're not all as robotic as you think.
So you say. Now, describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about... your mother.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27421 on: January 17, 2019, 09:12:50 pm »

I have no idea how bad it could have been for people under H Clinton.  But I'm betting it wouldn't have been a petulant, disorganised and idiotic dystopia, even for those of the opposing political hue. Even without any particular optimism, what we've seen already trumps (NPI) much of the run-of-the-mill pessimism quoted, short of actual hot war breaking out. And I gladly merit H the ability to not have stumbled into conflict so easily, whereas it seems that Trump's main tactic has been somehow (maybe by being manipulated, or dragged around on a leash) stumbling out of conflicts with no obvious methodology behind the brinkmanship.

Hillary would almost certainly have been a competent president. That's not the issue. The issue is that she was a terrible candidate. She had too much baggage (enough that it didn't matter how much was fabricated), was too tone-deaf (That speech you quoted was generally recieved as "We are going to put you all out of work, but here's some nebulous promises about replacement jobs that I have no intention of keeping" - which most candidates would have recognized), and too easy to paint as corrupt. She made Trump look better by comparison to a lot of people, entirely because he was (allegedly) outside the system and she embodied it.

The bolded is pretty much what all it boiled down to (if somewhat an oversimplification of the details) we even saw it on the Democratic side, so, it isn't a phenomenon restricted to one party. We'll never truly know how she would have fared if it was a truly competitive primary where she would have had to really fight to stay on top. We'll get an idea of how it might have gone because the candidates for the upcoming 2020 primaries (and the debates this summer) are on a spectrum of outsider-insiderness.

So you say. Now, describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about... your mother.

Lolwut.....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:20:32 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27422 on: January 17, 2019, 09:32:23 pm »

1) The reason why the buzzword bingo system was implemented, was because the big corporations subsumed a huge number of smaller actors in the economy. Suddenly, they were the only game in town for employment in certain industries, and naturally, had the subsequent increase in applicants. (the workers did not go away. they just now have to come to you.) Because this was just too much to handle, you automated the preselection process, resulting in buzzword bingo.  This also pre-selects for people who are often LITERALLY COACHED to give EXACTLY the answers needed to get to the interview, and who have invested all their energy into getting to THAT step, rather than the people who-- you know-- invested their time and energy into honing an actual skill, who can actually answer your questions.  Want an honest answer?  How about not being so fucking greedy as a company, that you run out all your competition, and thus get your HR line glutted with people who need work, but get systemically denied by all the cockblocking?  All the data I have seen suggests this will result in a healthier economy overall as well.  But that is incompatible with corporate oligopolist practices, so how about just hiring an equally suitable number of HR personnel to replace what you downsized by putting your competitors under, so you dont have to resort to buzzword bingo to handle the glut of applicants.

2) A person doing an interview needs to stress impartiality in their decision metrics. This means "gut feelings" need to be off the table. One can evaluate a person's candor and personality profile in more objective manners than "gut instincts."  "Gut instincts" cause you to throw away very talented, and even personable people, because they are unbelievable. "Gut instincts" eliminates people that are unassertive, but capable. "Gut instincts" selects for sociopaths.  The interview process is indeed intended to get to know the applicant as a person-- but is not carte blanc to strike a person because you dont like something about their person.  Last I checked, the 90 day probationary period was intended to weed out the malactors that cant get along with co-workers, and the job references given were intended to help screen out the liars and cheats.

3) what do I expect of an interviewer?  I expect them to look past their own biases, and to use objective measures to grade an applicant. Not whimsy. How well a person works with others is indeed an objective measure, and can be measured.  Again, this is what the 90 day probation is for.

4) the police analogy is a perfect analogy, you just refuse to accept it.  Police routinely use "gut instinct" on "guilt" to make arrests or stops. It is part of why there is so much of a problem with the current police force-- they dont follow proper process, and use gut instinct. The police are tasked with keeping disorderly persons out of society; the interviewer is tasked with keeping disorderly applicants out of the organization.  One just hits closer to home for you is all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27423 on: January 17, 2019, 09:38:31 pm »

Um, Wierd, do you really think SG works for some big shot multinational greedy corporation? What I've heard from him is that he works for an average company that acts as a middleman with trade (well, in customs and getting things to places), not some big greedy archcorp.

Whether you meant it or not, you seem to be getting rather personal attacky with your response there for #1
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:41:46 pm by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27424 on: January 17, 2019, 09:44:19 pm »

Also, have you considered that interviews suck for entry-level jobs in big corporations because those jobs themselves suck? Without meaning to sound too inhuman, if I'm looking for people to do data entry or something, being able to put up with corporate crap is probably the hardest job requirement, so I could see being less empathetic than I might otherwise be just to screen out the people who will go nuts within days. You can hardly blame the interviewer for the company being big.

Tears. In. Rain.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27425 on: January 17, 2019, 09:46:36 pm »

Possibly..  I have worked for 3 fortune 500s.  Their HR staff... has left me... bitter.

Anymore, if I consider putting in an application, and I have to go through some mother fucking "employment portal", I say "fuck that."  I would rather mop floors, or wipe asses. Literally. That latter is EXACTLY what I did.  From my observations of discussions at places like Slashdot, I am not alone.

It takes *A LOT* of soft skill to be a good CNA.  I do great. My residents love me. Unlike my prior fortune 500 employers, the residents actually appreciate care and consideration in the work I do for them, and dont demand ever greater wonders. Wiping asses is a lot more fulfilling, and if that alone is not a damingly scathing thing to say about the subject, I dont know what is.

I get very heated under the collar about the two-faced statements of "We cant find qualified applicants!" and "Use our Hiring portal!"  Either you want humans, or you dont.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27426 on: January 17, 2019, 09:48:14 pm »

what makes her the problem herself?  Too old?

Too old!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27427 on: January 17, 2019, 10:00:34 pm »

One can evaluate a person's candor and personality profile in more objective manners than "gut instincts."

By what?  Myers Briggs?  Anything that actual working people in an imperfect work environment can realistically apply to the process, and real psychologists won't laugh at?

The interview process is indeed intended to get to know the applicant as a person-- but is not carte blanc to strike a person because you dont like something about their person.

I never condoned and I do not condone making decisions based on how you personally like someone.  When I talk about personality, I'm talking in terms of how they will effect the work atmosphere.  Even if a manager is completely effective at eliminating their own personal biases towards a person they interview and do not allow any consideration for their personal feelings of likability, they still need to worry about whether the team they will be working with will like them.  Hiring someone into a team who will not like that team and will not be liked by that team is irresponsible, self-destructive behavior, and frankly not fair to the candidate, either.  You're purposefully putting them into a situation where they will be miserable.  And they may appreciate it temporarily out of desperation for a job, but once that desperation wears off, they will come around to hating you for putting them there and either set about finding another job as soon as possible and/or sabotaging the one you gave them. 

And yeah, it's impossible for personal bias not to be a part of this.  It's a subjective thing.  No matter how you justify these factors in the decision making process, they can be construed as bias.  And if that means it shouldn't be a factor, then tell me again what is the point of the interview?

Last I checked, the 90 day probationary period was intended to weed out the malactors that cant get along with co-workers, and the job references given were intended to help screen out the liars and cheats.

Not relevant to interviews

How well a person works with others is indeed an objective measure, and can be measured.  Again, this is what the 90 day probation is for.

See above

You're addressing how you think interviews should operate by referring to stuff that would happen outside of an interview.  I'm increasingly convinced that you just think interviews shouldn't be a part of a hiring process.

And hiring somebody only to fire them within the 90 day window is incredibly painful.  If you're not allowed by the interview process to select for people who you think are likely to be a "good fit", then you are increasing the likelihood that you will spend a year hiring shitty person after shitty person and firing them two months later, just creating more instability for both the bad candidates and for the organization.  Let the person you don't think will work out just go ahead and apply somewhere else, instead of spending two months re-organizing their lives around a new job just to lose it.

The police are tasked with keeping disorderly persons out of society

Yeah, but they are not tasked with determining who the disorderly persons are.  That part is left up to the court process, where they are put in front of a bunch of people who ask them questions.  That's your interview analogue.  Police using gut instinct to determine guilt are doing a bad thing because it's not their job.

It is literally the job of someone interviewing candidates, on the other hand, to gauge the character of the person they're interviewing.

Edit:

Um, Wierd, do you really think SG works for some big shot multinational greedy corporation? What I've heard from him is that he works for an average company that acts as a middleman with trade (well, in customs and getting things to places), not some big greedy archcorp.

Possibly..  I have worked for 3 fortune 500s.  Their HR staff... has left me... bitter.

Anymore, if I consider putting in an application, and I have to go through some mother fucking "employment portal", I say "fuck that."  I would rather mop floors, or wipe asses. Literally. That latter is EXACTLY what I did.  From my observations of discussions at places like Slashdot, I am not alone.

It takes *A LOT* of soft skill to be a good CNA.  I do great. My residents love me. Unlike my prior fortune 500 employers, the residents actually appreciate care and consideration in the work I do for them, and dont demand ever greater wonders. Wiping asses is a lot more fulfilling, and if that alone is not a damingly scathing thing to say about the subject, I dont know what is.

I get very heated under the collar about the two-faced statements of "We cant find qualified applicants!" and "Use our Hiring portal!"  Either you want humans, or you dont.

Yeah, the process where I work is there is an online application, but it's very basic.  Fill out some basic name/contact info and upload your resume type of thing.  Or if you know somebody within the company, just forward your resume directly to them to forward on to a manager to forward on to HR and skip the online component completely.  "Talent acquisition" calls and does a basic screening interview over the phone, which basically amounts to the ability to speak coherently and not say anything illegal or something.  And if he thinks the candidate is ok, he'll forward the resume on to the managers overseeing the position and ask if they want to set up an interview.  Interview is done, and it's completely up to the managers when they decide to make a decision and how.  There are no further processes or tools provided by the company.  It's literally just "HR gets application.  Makes sure they're basically suitable to be employed.  Sets up interview if manager wants it.  Manager decides based on interview if that's the person they want."  Most other places I've interviewed, it felt like the same sort of thing.  You're expecting a hell of a lot of people like me who are just thrown into the decision making process and expected to just do their best.

I've also worked at the Fortune 500 where it was more like what you're thinking.  Although there's still basically a normal guy at some point in the process sitting in a room with someone with a short amount of time to ask them questions and figure them out.  And it's even more difficult for them, when they need to consider the dynamics of a 30 person team, instead of 6 people (the most I've managed).  You're really shitting on people like me with what you're projecting at the larger corporate machine.  And I'd be ok with that if I thought it would actually mean something constructive in the big picture, but I don't think it would.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:13:03 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27428 on: January 17, 2019, 10:10:38 pm »

Fortune 500 companies being cancerous hellholes isn't really new information, you know. Capitalism selects for sociopathic minmaxing, after all.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27429 on: January 17, 2019, 10:21:18 pm »

Frankly, in my experience what happens is I send resumes into the aether and nothing replies.  Either I'm on indeed.com or running SETI, can't tell these days.

Incidentally dating has evolved into the same degeneracy.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #27430 on: January 17, 2019, 10:26:37 pm »

Do employers exist somewhere out there in the void? We can only search, and hope...
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27431 on: January 18, 2019, 12:00:22 am »

You're really shitting on people like me with what you're projecting at the larger corporate machine.  And I'd be ok with that if I thought it would actually mean something constructive in the big picture, but I don't think it would.

It's difficult to see how it could, to be sure. The problem with picking a villain and assuming they're behind everything because they're just that stupid and/or evil is that it suggests no solutions beyond removing the villain -- and even if reasoning that facile leads to the right person rather than the closest or most visible one, cycling through people generally just stresses the system and encourages them to be worse. Unfortunately, it's so seductively simple that it's difficult to get people out of it, but if we don't we'll never fix Trumpism.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27432 on: January 18, 2019, 12:12:44 am »

You're really shitting on people like me with what you're projecting at the larger corporate machine.  And I'd be ok with that if I thought it would actually mean something constructive in the big picture, but I don't think it would.

It's difficult to see how it could, to be sure. The problem with picking a villain and assuming they're behind everything because they're just that stupid and/or evil is that it suggests no solutions beyond removing the villain -- and even if reasoning that facile leads to the right person rather than the closest or most visible one, cycling through people generally just stresses the system and encourages them to be worse. Unfortunately, it's so seductively simple that it's difficult to get people out of it, but if we don't we'll never fix Trumpism.

I dont see interviewers/hiring managers as the problem.  They are stuck into a situation where they are made to do evil, in the name of corporate profit, by their own set of bosses, who are the real problem. (People who are beholden only to profit and performance, and do not view people as people unless they make greater than 6 figures on their salary and hold a C-level management position.)  However, I see hamstringing their employment process with increased requirements for transparency as an arrow in that black heart, because without human resources to abuse, they cannot do their evil in the greater economy.

As harmful as it would be to midsize and small orgs, it would be devastating to the big fortune 500s.  More than likely, they would elect to leave the country rather than comply.  (and the resulting vacuum, means competition could return locally, at least in theory.)  I am getting more and more of the opinion that you cannot be too harsh to the kleptocrats.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27433 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:29 am »

They're "beholden only to profit and performance" because they've got bosses too, as do their bosses; even the people at the top are ultimately accountable to the people either side of and just below them, and indirectly to a great many other people. Capitalism makes its own monsters out of people who, at the end of the day, are doing what they have to do not to be replaced by other people who will do the same thing. Companies are under the same pressures. Take one out, and the hole they leave behind is most efficiently filled by something of the same general shape -- and capitalism loves efficiency. Even the kleptocrats are shaped to fit by the kleptocracy.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27434 on: January 18, 2019, 12:42:58 am »

Which is exactly why I said "Fiduciary Responsibility" needs a legally defined definition, that is NOT "Increase investor profits any way possible."

When you put on things that require being proper stewards of the commons, and of the actual wellbeing of the economy they are participating in. (rather than engaging in slash and burn profit grabs) in that definition (because having bazillions of dollars means precisely dick when the currency gets devalued, because the economy they represent has collapsed from the bottom, is NOT how you should handle your investors. Ask the Venezuelans.) you make their tired excuses in that vein harder to state.

Once you change the game that way, the "well honed" kelptos at the top have to change their game,--- to the betterment of everyone.

Pages: 1 ... 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 ... 3515