Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1848 1849 [1850] 1851 1852 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3607102 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #27735 on: January 27, 2019, 01:00:04 am »

The removal of lead from gasoline and paints has correlated nicely with a strong reduction in the incidence rates of various violent crimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead%E2%80%93crime_hypothesis
Whether or not it is causal, that's still up in the air. I just said it has correlated nicely.  Which it has.

Flint, by their egregious lack of action on this public health issue, has turned itself into a natural experiment to test this hypothesis.  I look forward to reading the data in a few years.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27736 on: January 27, 2019, 02:00:23 am »

Flint, by their egregious lack of action on this public health issue, has turned itself into a natural experiment to test this hypothesis.  I look forward to reading the data in a few years.

Inasmuch as experiments are possible in biosocial criminology, anyway.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27737 on: January 27, 2019, 02:30:36 am »

At the very least, it can either add weight to, or detract from, said hypothesis. 

(If lead was a causal factor in incidence rate of violent criminality due to chemical influence or neural patterning during childhood development, then it would be expected that a city that has had elevated soluble lead levels past the previously examined timeline would have retained that influence, and the reduction/elimination of that source of soluble lead should lead to measurable reductions in incidence rates in the coming decades. If it does not, it greatly weakens the position of the hypothesis; if it does, it gives some insight into the degree to which it may have been causal to the observed national reduction, since it would have been in isolation of the other possible contributing factors.) 

It should be an interesting read regardless.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27738 on: January 27, 2019, 02:47:35 am »

What I'm hearing is "conduct regular undisclosed poisoning of various cities across the country in order to test said hypothesis".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27739 on: January 27, 2019, 03:01:55 am »

That would be unconscionable.  The purposeful exposure of civilians to pathogens presumably stopped with things like the Tuskegee experiment. (presumably. Hopefully.)

However, since the city government decided that money was more important than human life, and did the unconscionable thing FOR the researchers, all that needs doing now is to remove the systemic source of the pathogen, and then examine the trends in criminality over the resulting decades.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27740 on: January 27, 2019, 03:04:02 am »

since it would have been in isolation of the other possible contributing factors.) 

This is the part that sociology doesn't do, being observational science, and biosocial criminology still depends on sociological research to give context to all the biology. Their statistical framework just doesn't operate that way.

It might be interesting to read (although I'm pessimistic about it being open access) but I wouldn't expect anything more than the usual caveats about multifactorial causation and Flint being an exceptional case with a small sample size relative to the studies that have already been done.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27741 on: January 27, 2019, 03:10:30 am »

Why stop at lead?   There's currently 118 elements to try elevated levels of, plus the null hypothesis, across 19,522 cities in the US. So cohorts of ~164 for each, allowing for various different levels and/or demographic spreading to counter other factors.

Some might complain if they're down to receive arsenic, plutonium, etc, but I'm sure the people in the lithium cities won't be too unhappy, and those in helium cities would also speak highly of the study!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27742 on: January 27, 2019, 03:13:41 am »

I thought that was a bit of a stretch until I got to the helium one, fucking masterfully done.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27743 on: January 27, 2019, 03:14:18 am »

Why stop at lead?   There's currently 118 elements to try elevated levels of, plus the null hypothesis, across 19,522 cities in the US. So cohorts of ~164 for each, allowing for various different levels and/or demographic spreading to counter other factors.

Some might complain if they're down to receive arsenic, plutonium, etc, but I'm sure the people in the lithium cities won't be too unhappy, and those in helium cities would also speak highly of the study!

And we can pay for it by filming the fights between the different alkali metals cohorts about whose city is most energetically exploding.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #27744 on: January 27, 2019, 03:17:38 am »

I volunteer my town for group 79!

Failing that, we'll go with Oganesson, because good luck making enough to deliver appreciable amounts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27745 on: January 27, 2019, 03:18:11 am »

Sadly, I think we will have to repeat the experiment many times with the mercurial test battery.

The results are so damnably inconsistent!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27746 on: January 27, 2019, 03:20:26 am »

Can I apply for my iron to be in alloy form, spring steel suitable for sawmaking please.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27747 on: January 27, 2019, 03:27:16 am »

It's rare that people volunteer for cyanosis, chrysiasis, gastrointestinal bleeding and compromised immune systems, but hey, more power to you.

Gold: It's so valuable, you'll vomit blood until your eyes turn black!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27748 on: January 27, 2019, 03:31:25 am »

It's rare that people volunteer for cyanosis, chrysiasis, gastrointestinal bleeding and compromised immune systems, but hey, more power to you.

Gold: It's so valuable, you'll vomit blood until your eyes turn black!

And yet, it's an ingredient in authentic wiener schnitzel.
http://www.rudilechners.com/food/wiener-schnitzel-infamous-viennese-dish/

Mmm.. Gold flakes in my breaded veal. So nice.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27749 on: January 27, 2019, 03:44:49 am »

I'm surprised you didn't mention gold's use in treating joint inflammation, given your vocation -- and since it's one of the more common ways people accumulate enough gold in their systems to actually show symptoms of gold toxicity.
Pages: 1 ... 1848 1849 [1850] 1851 1852 ... 3515