Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1871 1872 [1873] 1874 1875 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532553 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28080 on: February 08, 2019, 08:41:35 pm »

There's people calling for the removal of dams due to salmon run issues but the fish ladders seem to do a pretty good job of letting them through.
Fish ladders are good, but there are also fish snakes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28081 on: February 08, 2019, 08:50:37 pm »

Do they get to go again if they roll a six?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28082 on: February 08, 2019, 09:40:17 pm »

Donald "Presidential Harassment" Trump
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28083 on: February 09, 2019, 12:38:23 am »

I'm really the only one amazed by the masterful use of irony in the huffpo headline: BEZOS EXPOSES PECKER?

Apparently, yes.
yup
Goddamn surrounded by heathens I tells ya, he exposed Pecker attempting to blackmail him by threatening to expose his exposed pecker pictures... that's fucking wonderful and I can only wonder who or what hurt you all so much as to remove the ability to appreciate something so funny I still can't laugh about it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28084 on: February 09, 2019, 06:58:31 am »

Religious fundamentalists in my case.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28085 on: February 09, 2019, 07:41:37 am »

I'm really the only one amazed by the masterful use of irony in the huffpo headline: BEZOS EXPOSES PECKER?

Apparently, yes.
yup
Goddamn surrounded by heathens I tells ya, he exposed Pecker attempting to blackmail him by threatening to expose his exposed pecker pictures... that's fucking wonderful and I can only wonder who or what hurt you all so much as to remove the ability to appreciate something so funny I still can't laugh about it.

It’s probably because it was a HuffPo clickbait headline. If it was a Beeb article, it would’ve been slightly more amusing, but I have noticed they tend toward clickbaity headlines now, too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28086 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:19 am »

The mainstream media panders to what sells eyeballs.  Clickbait is cocaine for eyeballs. 

Quality journalism? Who gives a fuck, this is the age of fake news. Sell those eyeballs, that's all that matters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28087 on: February 09, 2019, 09:45:20 am »

The mainstream media panders to what sells eyeballs.  Clickbait is cocaine for eyeballs. 

Quality journalism? Who gives a fuck, this is the age of fake news. Sell those eyeballs, that's all that matters.

I know that's the Trumpian line these days, but it oversimplifies the problem to an unfair degree. The news isn't fake. It's just fast, there's more of it than ever for you to access (and, by virtue of limited reading time, ignore), and every level of aggregation you put between your eyes and the journalists has to filter somehow, and there are good reasons to do so by pageviews.

In the majority of my interactions with journalists, I've been impressed by how much background reading they're willing to do and how perceptive their questions have been; much as I gripe about science & technology journalists oversimplifying things and reaching too readily for movie references, I can't say that comes from their own laziness. The articles they end up writing have been entirely fair for their length and the requisite background, too, but few people most of read those articles, if for no other reason than that all the local news outlets are now competing directly with each other online and the sheer volume of information is unmanageable. So they get aggregated, over and over, which usually involves them being rewritten at least once for a bigger platform with tighter constraints on length and writing time. At every stage they're being effectively sorted by views, even if not consciously, both by search engines and simply by statistical laws. Plus which, we can hardly fault journalists for reporting things their audience is interested in hearing about, so that's another effective sort by views. By the time the news reaches your screen, it's more probably gotten there from successively larger platforms, and the game of telephone produced by repeated rounds of sorting and summarizing can badly mangle the original intent of the author on subtle points -- particularly since, in the Internet age, all of this is happening as fast as possible on an international scale. All of this assumes a totally neutral observer, too, when in practice the simple human tendancy to read what we like reading and the sorting produced by social media (even if you don't personally use it) combine to put us all in an echo chamber by default.

The upshot of all this is that there's still real news out there, and the mainstream media does a fine job of at least highlighting parts of it -- often you can get back to the original story just by clicking the embedded links until you run out of links. It's not so much the age of fake news, then, as the age of the news being as real as you have the time and inclination to make it. As for why people would rather complain about fake news than read real news, that's part of a much larger problem with the culture wars and expressive responding.

All of which is really to say, in the style of our time, that fake news will stop when we all quit trying to show how clever we are by complaining about it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28088 on: February 09, 2019, 10:21:44 am »

Apparently, yes.
yup

It’s probably because it was a HuffPo clickbait headline. If it was a Beeb article, it would’ve been slightly more amusing, but I have noticed they tend toward clickbaity headlines now, too.
Yeah, but unlike a typical clickbait lure this was extremely accurate, succinct, and ironic as fuck. All done with three words.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28089 on: February 09, 2019, 12:45:37 pm »

Senator Warren just finished her 2020 prez bid announcement.
It was mostly a robin-hood platform, promising to take money from the rich and give it to the poor.
She said 'And one more thing...' like 5 times during the speech, which irked me a bit. But she got through the entire speech without invoking god, which puts her ahead of the pack in my book. It's nice to see one of our candidates plans to actually do something, and not just leave fate in the hands of flying spaghetti monsters.
Agreeable walking music also helped her platform~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28090 on: February 09, 2019, 01:32:38 pm »

Apparently, yes.
yup

Yeah, but unlike a typical clickbait lure this was extremely accurate, succinct, and ironic as fuck. All done with three words.
If it makes you feel better, I told my parents about it and they thought it was hilarious.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28091 on: February 09, 2019, 03:10:05 pm »

It was mostly a robin-hood platform, promising to take money from the rich and give it to the poor.
Sounds great if you're poor, annoying if you're rich (because you have to work a little harder to find loopholes), and bad if you're upper-middle-class.

<goes off to read the website.  WTF autoplaying video with overlays asking for money!  Get me to your platform already!  Also - more WTF on the website design. Scroll down, then scrolling down scrolls the page to the right instead even though the scrollbar is going down!?  Ellipses in the middle of wor...>

That includes an Ultra-Millionaire Tax on America’s 75,000 richest families to produce trillions that can be used to build an economy that works for everyone, including universal childcare, student loan debt relief, and down payments on a Green New Deal and Medicare for All. And we can make a historic investment in housing that would bring down rents by 10% across America and create 1.5 million new jobs.

Wut?  I mean that sounds great, but math?

$1T is like 5% of the entire US GDP...  unless this is typical "well if we take $100B each year for 10 years" government math to make numbers sound bigger.

Also, you're going to have to work really hard to drop rents by 10%.  Unless she means "drop the lowest rents by 10%". I don't think you can drop the median or mean rents by 10% just based on sheer number of existing units out there.

Creating 1.5 million jobs is not even status quo - unless she means 1.5M more jobs than we create now (which is still really low - 1M jobs in a year is only 83k per month and we average more than that anyway; nonfarm payrolls were about +150k/month for all of 2018).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #28092 on: February 09, 2019, 03:28:07 pm »

Numbers for money are weird but it sounds reasonable to me. The very richest people are very, very rich.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28093 on: February 09, 2019, 03:33:27 pm »

That sounds like it's related to the estate tax changes, which also mentioned that it could potentially result in over a trillion bucks.

The only problem is, you have to wait until they're all dead before you can actually get that amount... So it's not even "$100BN per year for 10 years", it's "fuckin' $nothing per year until somebody croaks without making all their assets untouchable". Still though, a 70+% inheritance tax on the top 0.1% would indeed be worth a considerable amount of moolah, provided you could in fact collect it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28094 on: February 09, 2019, 04:47:50 pm »

Sounds like a crappy website design that would on it's own make it harder to get supporters.

Anyhow, the question still remains, how the heck do you pay for all of that? It's not conservative pandering or anything, it's reality. I suppose she's trying to take Trumps route of promising big stuff and figuring it out later (or in Trumps case, not at all) and avoid the heavy detailed route Clinton took.

Then again, this is pretty preliminary anyways and details are going to have to be provided at some point in the proccess. Or maybe never give details as in the case of Trump, but it's a double edged sword.
Pages: 1 ... 1871 1872 [1873] 1874 1875 ... 3511