Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1877 1878 [1879] 1880 1881 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534829 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28170 on: February 11, 2019, 09:06:49 pm »

I'm hardly surprised.I feel like compromise was always possible for things like spaced out barriers at key points. Trump just wasn't into anything but 100% winning for himself.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28171 on: February 11, 2019, 09:36:58 pm »

I predict he caves and his cultists say it's part of his 4d chess.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28172 on: February 11, 2019, 09:37:41 pm »

Stupid goddamn Democrats. I knew they were going to randomly give Trump what he wanted, but you'd think that actually winning the first showdown might have taught them something.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28173 on: February 11, 2019, 09:55:12 pm »

Stupid goddamn Democrats. I knew they were going to randomly give Trump what he wanted, but you'd think that actually winning the first showdown might have taught them something.

This is no victory - I'm willing to bet he won't take the deal. He'd be a fool to sign on to this as it's presented, in fact. That's not enough money to actually do this thing, all it is is cash set aside mainly to replace existing bollard fencing with newer bollard fencing. A paltry 50 miles will actually be coverage where there was none before. And on top of that, it takes out 1/5 of ICE's detention capacity as part of the 'compromise.' I'm willing to bet that Dems know exactly how poisonous it is and this is just a ploy so they can say 'we offered him what he wanted but Trump turned it down' that won't even be voted for if it actually makes it to the floor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/top-lawmakers-meet-to-revive-stalled-border-talks-with-shutdown-days-away/2019/02/11/3cd0fc1a-2dff-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f6d2859900ad
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/12/negotiators-an-agreement-in-principle-to-avoid-government-shutdown.html
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28174 on: February 11, 2019, 10:07:19 pm »

I predict he caves and his cultists say it's part of his 4d chess.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The frog will leap if given a shock,
When thrown in water that's awfully hot.
But bring Pepe to a gradual boil,
And Pepe is all out of luck:
"No I won't get out of the oil,
Because I think you are all cucks."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28175 on: February 11, 2019, 10:14:29 pm »

The number is now in at $1.375b to pay for 55 miles of new border barriers, compared to the $5.7b Trump wanted to pay for 200+ miles of barriers.

I concur with Baffler that Trump will likely refuse this offer; but it should be enough ensure that Trump once again gets all the blame for the shutdown.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28176 on: February 11, 2019, 10:16:10 pm »

The number is now in at $1.375b to pay for 55 miles of new border barriers, compared to the $5.7b Trump wanted to pay for 200+ miles of barriers.

I concur with Baffler that Trump will likely refuse this offer; but it should be enough ensure that Trump once again gets all the blame for the shutdown.
Not amongst their support base; Trump will just active his reverse Uno card and talk about how the democrats refused to give BILLIANS AND BILLIANS AND BILLIANS of dollars

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28177 on: February 11, 2019, 10:37:44 pm »

Or he'll call it a win, his base will accept it as a win because he says it's a win, and his opponents will continue saying he's lying.

I'm not trying to predict what WILL happen, but it's very possible he takes what they're giving him and spins it in a positive light.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28178 on: February 11, 2019, 10:54:19 pm »

If he does accept the deal, which again I strongly doubt, he'll most likely push it as 'a good start' and promise to keep pushing for the rest of it. Nobody will be particularly impressed or pleased by it, and it'll certainly be complained about, but the American right is honestly probably desperate enough to accept that so long as the pushing actually does happen. But again, I strongly doubt he'll cave to this when he's rejected more enticing (but still poisonous) deals before. Him "owning" the shutdown seemingly only really matters to the opposition - who will hate him no matter what he does anyway. The previous shutdown does not appear to have significantly affected his approval numbers, at least.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #28179 on: February 11, 2019, 11:15:00 pm »

Rassumen consistently polls far higher (~6-8 percentage points, usually) for Trump than any other major polling source. Even they, however, show that his approval rating tanked during the shutdown and is only now reaching pre-shutdown levels. You can see this effect in a handy chart here
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28180 on: February 12, 2019, 02:01:04 am »

This is no victory - I'm willing to bet he won't take the deal. He'd be a fool to sign on to this as it's presented, in fact. That's not enough money to actually do this thing, all it is is cash set aside mainly to replace existing bollard fencing with newer bollard fencing. A paltry 50 miles will actually be coverage where there was none before.

I'm curious: what, at this point, is "this thing?" The Wall has been scaled back in Trump's own rhetoric from an Xty-foot-high reinforced concrete barrier stretching from sea to sea to strategically placed steel barriers anyway, which no one has opposed on principle, only as a matter of maximizing return on investment. Nor is the amount necessarily "paltry" for political reasons; we could reasonably expect the 700+ miles of barrier added in the last 12 years to have been placed as effectively as possible, and there's no real point building walls where nobody's crossing just to say that we're building walls. Perhaps 50 miles is all we're projected to need.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28181 on: February 12, 2019, 02:36:44 am »

I'm curious: what, at this point, is "this thing?" The Wall has been scaled back in Trump's own rhetoric from an Xty-foot-high reinforced concrete barrier stretching from sea to sea to strategically placed steel barriers anyway, which no one has opposed on principle, only as a matter of maximizing return on investment. Nor is the amount necessarily "paltry" for political reasons; we could reasonably expect the 700+ miles of barrier added in the last 12 years to have been placed as effectively as possible, and there's no real point building walls where nobody's crossing just to say that we're building walls. Perhaps 50 miles is all we're projected to need.

We need the big beautiful wall to stop the caravans and end the crisis. It just doesn't work without the wall. It doesn't. It just doesn't work.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #28182 on: February 12, 2019, 03:40:55 am »

Trump's had the brilliant idea of backing down so slowly that it's hard for the disinterested to tell that he's folding like a protein chain.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28183 on: February 12, 2019, 07:23:19 am »

Trump's had the brilliant idea of backing down so slowly that it's hard for the disinterested to tell that he's folding like a protein chain.

Bad analogy: protein chains are useful.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28184 on: February 12, 2019, 08:53:50 am »

Bad analogy: protein chains are useful.

With few exceptions, they also need to fold in a precise, cooperative manner in order to be useful, and even the intrinsically disordered ones are still predictably so.

So Trump's folding almost entirely unlike a polypeptide.
Pages: 1 ... 1877 1878 [1879] 1880 1881 ... 3511