Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1895 1896 [1897] 1898 1899 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595296 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28440 on: February 19, 2019, 11:11:11 am »

I think Bernie's a bit too old for it. He'll be 79 in November 2020.

I don't think that's much older than Reagan was when he ran for second term.

Reagan was 77 at the end of his second term.

Just checked wiki, so yeah, you're right.

Reagan also spent at least 2 years of his presidency senile...

From early stages of Alzheimers, yeah, that's what a lot of people believe. However, there are treatments now to help that, so, it's not as much of a concern as it would have been in Reagans day. Still, age and mental decline is going to be an issue regardless of that. Unfortunately, Trump can't handle that honestly.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:14:28 am by smjjames »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28441 on: February 19, 2019, 11:18:14 am »

And again, Trump is achieving more than any prior President!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28442 on: February 19, 2019, 11:22:25 am »

I just hope people will pay attention to the vice presidency candidate if Bernie ends up on the ballot. A 25th amendment will always loom over an octogenarian president. Better make sure to get a good pick.

Not to mention a vice president willing to invoke it, so the people don't have an automatic rubber-stamper in office.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28443 on: February 19, 2019, 11:34:38 am »

'Willing to invoke it' can also mean 'willing to use it as a power grab', so, we'd have to be careful in that respect since the amendment reads all too much like a legalized coup. The other problem is that it's never been used in that way. As engimatichat said, Reagan was allegedly senile for part of his later Presidency and the 25th Amendment was never invoked then (whether it was ever discussed secretly, I have absolutely no idea). So, if it wasn't invoked then, then where is the bar for using it?

The other thing is that the original authors of the 25th were imagining something much more dire, namely if Kennedy had survived the assassination but remained in a coma or is severely and obviously mentally incapacitated.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28444 on: February 19, 2019, 11:39:10 am »

And again, Trump is achieving more than any prior President!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #28445 on: February 19, 2019, 03:04:43 pm »

I mean... Bernie seems like he's stayed mentally active, and even if we assume he's going to suffer decline at the exact age Reagan did he's still good for one term.  But... I don't feel like betting America's future (and the reputation of new-school democrats) on those odds.  I'd vote for Bernie in a general election but I'm afraid my primary vote is going to someone else.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #28446 on: February 19, 2019, 03:43:20 pm »

Y'all ready to do 2016 ALL OVER AGAIN?!?!?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28447 on: February 19, 2019, 03:50:56 pm »

As opposed to what? This is how primaries work.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28448 on: February 19, 2019, 03:52:41 pm »

Every year is just another sequel to 2016
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #28449 on: February 19, 2019, 03:55:47 pm »

I wonder if the people of the near future will use "post 2016" the same way we refer to "post 9/11."  As in a big political shift, obviously Trump being elected can't be usefully compared to a terrorist attack.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28450 on: February 19, 2019, 04:19:21 pm »

Given that most "investors" are pension funds, and many public pension funds are grossly underfunded, I don't really feel any resentment towards companies working towards improving their bottom lines. It's not as if earnings yields are that great - most profits come 

Not pension fund, more 401k--  And the fact that these investors were able to instigate a 5% drop in value, indicates that these are not long-haul investors we are talking about anyway. But Nice Try (tm).

The bright idea to use the stock market to pay for retirement does not obviate the need to pay people a living wage to keep the economy running. (Wages have not kept pace with inflation over the past 30+ years-- As such, total buying power per hour worked has dropped, but costs have not stayed comparatively low. Instead, things like the afore mentioned gig economy have cropped up, where people seek alternative outside employment to make ends meet.)  Complaining about having to pay the bare minimum of average wage-- which is exactly what Citi-group just did (The pilots, sterwardesses and other crew were getting paid **LESS** than industry standard, which is why they got the raise!) instead of getting a bigger return, just indicates a jaded disconnect from reality and nothing else.

Just a quick comment before I let you go back to feeling the Bern. On any given day only a small portion of stocks are bought or sold, and it is this portion that determines price movements, and it isn't the pension funds or 401 Ks participating in this. Now, if you said Wall St are greedy assholes then I'd agree with you 100%. I wasn't actually commenting on the article before, just a general rebuttal to investors being greedy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28451 on: February 19, 2019, 05:36:30 pm »

I wonder if the people of the near future will use "post 2016" the same way we refer to "post 9/11."  As in a big political shift, obviously Trump being elected can't be usefully compared to a terrorist attack.
I just had a mental image of a fat orange man flying headfirst into the WTC while yelling angry nonsense. I'm not sure I needed that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28452 on: February 19, 2019, 06:10:45 pm »

In case there was any doubt, it's ride or die for Bernie. Everybody else on the Dem ticket will lose instantly and you know it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28453 on: February 19, 2019, 06:12:32 pm »

Er, heard a bit from Pete Buttigieg on the radio earlier, he seems like a sensible bloke from the all of 15 minutes I heard of him while I was distracted by driving in Winter.

Technically he's not running, yet, just doing that exploratory committee thing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28454 on: February 19, 2019, 06:21:03 pm »

Technically he's not running, yet, just doing that exploratory committee thing.
much exploratory
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1895 1896 [1897] 1898 1899 ... 3515