Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 ... 3512

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3577005 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28560 on: February 25, 2019, 01:13:27 am »

Seems like a pretty catastrophic failure of the system if a judge is dismissing legislation on the grounds of electoral manipulation. It's not really a precedent I'd like to see, as it effectively gives the judiciary branch a veto over the legislative branch, and the preferable approach would be to challenge the legality of the election itself or whoever was responsible for the gerrymandering. Someone really needs to firmly define where the line is with gerrymandering in a way that is objectively testable and cannot be hijacked by partisan (think ultra-conservative) judges inventing reasons to obstruct the legislative process.

Not that I disagree with the decision at all. But there needs to be more clarity on where the separation of power lies as I feel each branch has been trying to invade the others' space for some time now.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28561 on: February 25, 2019, 01:18:25 am »

If they all do that equally than its Working as Intended™.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28562 on: February 25, 2019, 02:26:55 am »

Seems like a pretty catastrophic failure of the system if a judge is dismissing legislation on the grounds of electoral manipulation. It's not really a precedent I'd like to see, as it effectively gives the judiciary branch a veto over the legislative branch, and the preferable approach would be to challenge the legality of the election itself or whoever was responsible for the gerrymandering. Someone really needs to firmly define where the line is with gerrymandering in a way that is objectively testable and cannot be hijacked by partisan (think ultra-conservative) judges inventing reasons to obstruct the legislative process.

Not that I disagree with the decision at all. But there needs to be more clarity on where the separation of power lies as I feel each branch has been trying to invade the others' space for some time now.

Or ultra liberal judges for that matter. While I'd totally be fine with liberal judges giving conservatives a smack upside the head, you have to realize that what applies to ultra-conservative should apply to ultra-liberal because the partianship goes both ways.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up in the SCOTUS one way or another.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28563 on: February 25, 2019, 02:40:37 am »

IMO, a major obstacle to flagrant gerrymandering would be to force the districting decision to cite a specific rationale, and evidence, for the redistricting.

EG, "There have been washed out bridges isolating these areas from one another for 20 years, and as a result, these areas are representationally disparate from each other, despite geographical proximity."

Bonus points if you also audit the reasons cited for corrective measures. "oh? Bridges washed out for 20 years without replacements eh? Well-- you just got forcibly earmarked bitches. Fix the bridges next fiscal cycle, or suffer large."

It would add a layer of red-tape to redistricting, which would alleviate a lot of the problem this practice causes. (not eliminate, since you really cant totally eliminate it anyway. Just alleviate.)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28564 on: February 25, 2019, 05:09:07 am »

Or ultra liberal judges for that matter. While I'd totally be fine with liberal judges giving conservatives a smack upside the head, you have to realize that what applies to ultra-conservative should apply to ultra-liberal because the partianship goes both ways.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up in the SCOTUS one way or another.

I am well aware of those, rest assured. I just feel a bit of a left-leaning vibe here so try to throw in a few cues to make sure people don't take a partisan interpretation of what I say.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28565 on: February 25, 2019, 08:50:28 am »

I used to think that proportional representation parliaments had an issue where representatives in government weren't tied to any specific people and thus were harder to hold accountable, but given the gerrymandering issue, it does seem like a solid fix for that at least. If we can't get districts right, just get rid of districts...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28566 on: February 25, 2019, 08:58:59 am »

It's just such a silly word. "Gerrymandering". It sounds like something Lewis Carroll would come up with.

Just like "filibuster".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28567 on: February 25, 2019, 09:26:07 am »

Its name is historical.  Early in the nation's history, the revelation that you could engineer an election by redistricting was "discovered" by the then governor of Massachusetts (one Elbridge Gerry), who redistricted the state in such a way as to gain political advantage for his party. This resulted in a district that resembled a salamander, and a local newspaper (The Boston Gazette) gave it the portmanteau name of "Gerrymander."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28568 on: February 25, 2019, 09:47:14 am »

Its name is historical.  Early in the nation's history, the revelation that you could engineer an election by redistricting was "discovered" by the then governor of Massachusetts (one Elbridge Gerry), who redistricted the state in such a way as to gain political advantage for his party. This resulted in a district that resembled a salamander, and a local newspaper (The Boston Gazette) gave it the portmanteau name of "Gerrymander."
I'm not sure that makes it any better.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28569 on: February 25, 2019, 09:50:28 am »

Nor that it ought to be a hard-G, from its derivation, but usually isn't?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28570 on: February 25, 2019, 09:54:43 am »

I thought it was named after a guy called Gerry Mander
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28571 on: February 25, 2019, 09:58:06 am »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28572 on: February 25, 2019, 10:06:59 am »

(There's Harry "Bunny" Manders to further raffle things up. ;))

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28573 on: February 25, 2019, 01:34:01 pm »

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/25/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-becomes-comic-book-heroine

There are many questions I'd like to ask, such as "what even is journalism", but I'm not sure I really want any of the answers.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28574 on: February 25, 2019, 01:36:23 pm »

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/25/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-becomes-comic-book-heroine

There are many questions I'd like to ask, such as "what even is journalism", but I'm not sure I really want any of the answers.
Is this an attempt to "Own the conservatives?"
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 ... 3512