Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1935 1936 [1937] 1938 1939 ... 2524

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1519515 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29041 on: March 24, 2019, 07:47:34 am »

I used to think I could grok a bit of what the haggis-people say, but I honestly don't know any more. Is ya wee posh cunt even pejorative, or just how one greets a lady?

It could be pejorative or friendly depending on context and tone. Lots of Scots use cunt as a term of endearment for their friends, but it is also one of our foulest swearwords. Posh is usually used in a derogatory context, and wee is basically thrown in whenever speaking to someone and is also either endearment or insult. Specifics vary from place to place of course.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29042 on: March 24, 2019, 12:22:44 pm »

Now all we need is a scottish political figure named Pepsi, Coke, Fanta, Sprite, or Mellow Yello and we've come full circle.
It seems that more than the chance average of Scottish political figures get fish-associated names.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29043 on: March 24, 2019, 03:35:43 pm »

Not sure if the Scottish meme thread is the best place for this, but Barr just released his summary of the Mueller report.

tl;dr: No conspiracy, but Mueller neither exonerated the President on obstruction of justice nor, in Barr's determination, found sufficient evidence to prosecute.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29044 on: March 24, 2019, 03:39:52 pm »

Not sure if the Scottish meme thread is the best place for this, but Barr just released his summary of the Mueller report.

tl;dr: No conspiracy, but Mueller neither exonerated the President on obstruction of justice nor, in Barr's determination, found sufficient evidence to prosecute.

Guess sadly his rabid supporters will be celebrating this and using it as an excuse to get support for next years elections. I'm sure they are already out celebrating. Even though Mueller said it did not exonerate him, already seeing victory cries in an MMO I play.

This is almost worse than trump getting elected...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29045 on: March 24, 2019, 03:42:23 pm »

-snip-
Guess sadly his rabid supporters will be celebrating this and using it as an excuse to get support for next years elections. I'm sure they are already out celebrating. Even though Mueller said it did not exonerate him, already seeing victory cries in an MMO I play.

Since when is it for some reason a bad thing that the president was not colluding with Russia to win his election?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29046 on: March 24, 2019, 03:47:46 pm »

-snip-

Since when is it for some reason a bad thing that the president was not colluding with Russia to win his election?

Because that means it was our fault.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29047 on: March 24, 2019, 03:48:54 pm »

-snip-

He only said that Trump isn't exonerated as far as obstruction of justice. As for the whole Russia thing, it's certainly plausible that they unwittingly blundered into Russia's hands, but there are still so many unanswered questions. Like, if there was no collusion, why all the shady doings and trying to lie about it when there was no reason to.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29048 on: March 24, 2019, 04:06:31 pm »

oh look

the cop cleared the billionaire

wine moms ruining carpets across america

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29049 on: March 24, 2019, 04:22:02 pm »

Like, if there was no collusion, why all the shady doings and trying to lie about it when there was no reason to.

This is, I think, the point the hot takes are most likely to miss. Trump has not acted like an innocent man, and the many, many investigations into him are ongoing. For all Mueller's brief was broad, he's interpreted the scope of his investigation narrowly, and nothing we have in front of us indicates what he has or has not decided to refer to other prosecutors.

It's a big leap to go from "none of Trump's conduct can be proven beyond reasonable doubt to meet the standards of criminal conspiracy with Russia" to "Trump neither did nor tried to do anything wrong," but that's not going to stop people leaping either way in the coming days on whatever pretext they can find. In particular, criminal conduct and impeachable conduct are deliberately different, in part to avoid having to resolve the murkiness of Presidential intent.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29050 on: March 24, 2019, 04:26:13 pm »

I believe the Scottish term is "Not Proven".
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #29051 on: March 24, 2019, 05:28:45 pm »

Trump stooge: "Yeah, the report proves the president is innocent and has a 10' dick."
News media: "Trump stooge says the report proves the president is innocent and has a 10' dick."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:49:32 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29052 on: March 24, 2019, 05:42:23 pm »

'the left': "LOCK HIM UP"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29053 on: March 24, 2019, 06:33:28 pm »

Is it better if Russia needed local assistance to affect the outcome of the US Presidential Election, or if it can do so without the assistance of major figures in one or both parties?

That said, Ken White seems to have the most complete take on it I've seen so far.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/barr-mueller/585628/

The most annoying part of it all is with how politicized this whole thing is, how much we need to see what actually happened, what evidence was found, and what was done.  If it's going to be a political decision best made by the American public, that information needs to be shown.  It's the only way for informed decisions to be made.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:38:06 pm by Devastator »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29054 on: March 24, 2019, 06:43:52 pm »

Just add this to the pile of shit to throw at him next election. I admit I'd liked to have seen something conclusive rather than just "Probably not and depends on what you mean by obstruction."

In the end though, just push on through for another year and a half and with any luck he'll be gone thanks to the anger he's stirring up against himself.

I do wonder if this is going to stir up the desperate crazies. Lot of people out there probably willing to let the system work as long as it seemed like something was happening. But now that that's out the door and he's "Getting away with it." Yeah...

Either way I'm ready to vote blue next round. I haven't found anything absolutely disgusting about any of the more viable candidates out there. So doesn't look like I'll have to "throw my vote away" again. Plenty of time for that to change... but so far I'm comfortable with the field.
Pages: 1 ... 1935 1936 [1937] 1938 1939 ... 2524