Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1943 1944 [1945] 1946 1947 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3596788 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29160 on: March 28, 2019, 03:39:08 pm »

Toady and Threetoe are basically an example of a Monarchy actually working really well when the king is competent.

Shame that Monarchies IRL are so prone to having shit rulers, otherwise they'd be the bestest.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29161 on: March 28, 2019, 03:45:24 pm »

Mm, the best way to choose a political leader is because of who you popped out of or by whom your mum was shagged.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29162 on: March 28, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »

No, but having one person in power means a sort of total solidarity in government you can't really replicate with multiple leaders (like in a republic). It's hardly ever worth it, though, unless you've got a Great Person as your monarch.

Isn't monarchy the term for having just one person rule a country even without the lineage selection method anyway? Or am I confusing it for some other word?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29163 on: March 28, 2019, 03:52:07 pm »

I wonder how this will effect (if at all) the 2020 elections

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/robert-muellers-report-into-collusion-between-donald-trump-and-russia-more-than-300-pages/news-story/a692b0b1343941a8d6fa202d749fb214

Its pathetic that fox news topped viewership of both CNN and MSNBC combined (which was mentioned above in the link and I saw it on another article but can't find link now)...yet this makes me very fearful, along with Trump's not very much (if barely any) drop in his base support, that 2020 could be a very terrible year as far as politics go. Still have the entire year for hopefully something major to come along, since Russia investigation didn't pan out that great. It could be even if Trump is elected again, democrats take both house that they already control and senate...that at least be a big improvement over now. And maybe put more democratic supreme judges on board, since its a republican dominate supreme court last I heard. With a democrat senate AND house though, even if trump was elected, he'd be useless and pretty much defeated.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29164 on: March 28, 2019, 04:11:06 pm »

Hasn't Fox News topping at least two center-left news organizations combined been a thing for a while? It's just reflective of the fact that the favored news organization on the right is Fox news while the favored one on the left is split between more than one.

It's basically the 'Republicans fall in line, Democrats fracture' trope, though the Republicans can be just as fractitious as the Democrats, if not more, at times.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29165 on: March 28, 2019, 04:17:45 pm »

It has more to do with demographics. For a variety of reasons, conservatives are more likely to have a current cable subscription, so the conservative leaning cable news station has a stronger position.

Honestly, it is a good thing that Fox is the leading conservative news source. The competition (such as One America News) is far more biased, and far less accurate.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29166 on: March 28, 2019, 07:21:49 pm »

I wonder how this will effect (if at all) the 2020 elections

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/robert-muellers-report-into-collusion-between-donald-trump-and-russia-more-than-300-pages/news-story/a692b0b1343941a8d6fa202d749fb214

This reads to me like a bit of last-minute cope tinged with panic, in the same vein as "here's how Bernie can still win!" "The report is really long u guise, that's really a lot of words, Drumpf is guilty for sure!" What a farce. And why is almost 1/3 of the article dedicated to calling Trump a meanie for being happy that the people who have been doing their level best to convince the country that he was a traitor for the last three years have apparently been proven liars?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29167 on: March 28, 2019, 07:42:32 pm »

Most candidates are still on 'lets wait for it to be released'. I don't think it'll affect 2020 all that much because there was a poll earlier this week that said 80 something % of people said that the full release of the Mueller report isn't going to change their minds or won't affect their overall position. Basically, the positions have already been staked out for most people and just reflects the tribalism.

Of course though, there can always be something in it that does change the mind of some of those people.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29168 on: March 28, 2019, 08:06:34 pm »

The length thing is mostly just a thing suggesting barr didn't excercise due diligence. It's not exactly a small thing to properly summarize a 300 page report about two years worth of high level investigation, after all, much less in something like less than two days. Would lead one to think that maybe barr didn't properly summarize said report, y'know?

Though trump would probably love it if the last three years had been monofocused on proving him a traitor, heh, particularly under as limited a circumstance as election interference in active conjunction with a foreign power. Unfortunately for the shitgibbon it's been more about corruption and surrounding himself with corrupt individuals, which meuller's criminal related stuff alone has dug up plenty of evidence for, never mind everything else that's going on or the issues that arise if mueller's investigation was as limited as barr's summary suggests.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29169 on: March 28, 2019, 08:16:50 pm »

"The report is really long u guise, that's really a lot of words, Drumpf is guilty for sure!" What a farce.

You can make anything sound farcical if you try hard enough (cf. Trump's tweets), but the core of the argument is sound: At this point, we know only that Mueller declined to prosecute Trump but did not find evidence to exonerate him. It is entirely possible that he based this decision on the strength of the evidence alone, but it is also possible that he was driven by jurisdictional or prudential concerns, the most commonly cited of which is the possibility that he felt impeachment was the only forum suitable for proceedings against a sitting President, both due to DOJ guidance and to their longstanding policy not to publicize information about individuals they have decided not to indict.

It must be borne in mind that Mueller had only two options regarding Trump: prosecute, or decline to do so. Anything relating to a declination of prosecution would have to go through Barr, who we know has taken a permissive (and legally shaky) stance on whether Trump's official actions could even theoretically be illegal and could readily have declined to prosecute an otherwise strong case on those grounds.

So, there are four essential possibilities regarding obstruction:

1. Mueller found out everything he wanted to know and concluded it's inconclusive either way.
2. Mueller did not find out everything he wanted to know and concluded it would fall to other prosecutors to determine.
3. The case is conclusive, but relies on grand jury proceedings or intelligence sources or some other procedural block to making that case in a court of law.
4. The case is conclusive, but Mueller has determined that a President cannot be tried anywhere but Congress.

You can, I trust, see how the Congress would be interested in determining which is the case.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29170 on: March 29, 2019, 12:16:23 am »

The length thing is mostly just a thing suggesting barr didn't excercise due diligence. It's not exactly a small thing to properly summarize a 300 page report about two years worth of high level investigation, after all, much less in something like less than two days. Would lead one to think that maybe barr didn't properly summarize said report, y'know?

Though trump would probably love it if the last three years had been monofocused on proving him a traitor, heh, particularly under as limited a circumstance as election interference in active conjunction with a foreign power. Unfortunately for the shitgibbon it's been more about corruption and surrounding himself with corrupt individuals, which meuller's criminal related stuff alone has dug up plenty of evidence for, never mind everything else that's going on or the issues that arise if mueller's investigation was as limited as barr's summary suggests.

I never said anything about monofocus, and I also don't doubt that Dems will comb through the report to find something, anything, to complain about. But again, this represents a major change in both the tone and the content of their typical rhetoric. It is as though nobody had ever said anything about Trump being a traitor or colluding with Russia in the first place, which is of course not true, but is anyone going to be held accountable for deliberately lying about it or pushing unsubstantiated rumors as fact out of partisan allegiance? Will anyone even acknowledge having done so? My guess is no.

-snip-

This sounds like more cope, playing word games so that he can still be guilty in your mind if not in actuality. Barr's words were "no evidence" of collusion, not "not enough evidence to prosecute." Unless you're just calling Barr a liar as Nancy Pelosi is, and I admit that it is technically possible if unlikely that he could be, that seems fairly solid to me. There is also no point in speculating about possibilities regarding obstruction, since Barr clearly reports that there was not enough evidence to support a charge of obstruction of justice. He could still be impeached based on the contents of the report since Congress is not beholden to the same standards for evidence and procedure as the Judiciary, but if there isn't any criminality to report or there isn't any good evidence as Barr claims it would be incredibly foolish for them to do so. Even with the current political climate being what it is I'm not convinced even a great many Democrats would be too pleased with such a blatant coup, let alone the average Republican.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:18:32 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29171 on: March 29, 2019, 01:09:18 am »

Well, there was the Clinton impeachment, so we have a precedent. If Trump has ever committed perjury (which he probably has) then he could be kicked out. Not quite treason, but in US politics belonging to the opposite party is treason enough.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #29172 on: March 29, 2019, 02:57:51 am »

Barr's words were "no evidence" of collusion, not "not enough evidence to prosecute." Unless you're just calling Barr a liar as Nancy Pelosi is, and I admit that it is technically possible if unlikely that he could be, that seems fairly solid to me.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
And Barr was hired solely on the principle that he considers the president to be above the law. If you honestly consider it unlikely that he would choose to interpret evidence of presidential wrongdoings in a manner which favors the president, then you're just being willfully biased.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29173 on: March 29, 2019, 06:48:21 am »

... more than that, Barr's summary doesn't actually say no evidence of collusion. At all. I just re-read the thing, and found a searchable version just to make sure I didn't miss something. Those are literally not words the summary uses. Nor does it use 'no evidence of conspiracy', or any possible related variant you care to spit out. The closest it comes is barr saying meuller did not find that it had happened -- which, as should be noted, without further context would at most mean he didn't find sufficient grounds for DoJ standards to prosecute, which is a fuck damn long distance from 'no evidence' -- and barr quoting the report saying the investigation didn't establish it. Which, again, without context is a major, major difference from 'no evidence'.*

Barr's wording also pretty strongly suggests meuller's investigation didn't actually touch on the substantial cases for conspiracy people have been clamoring about, which would be a whole different set of problems. The actual report would clear up a lot of things that barr seems to have gone out of his way to obfuscate, really. Some of it might even be better for trump's lot than this current bullshit (though given how much GOP folks seem to be suddenly fighting the release it's probably pretty unlikely, ha).

Though, all that said, there's definitely been some tone shifts. Issue there is more the fourth estate fucking its job up one side the proverbial street and down the other. Reporting on the subject has just been kinda' fucked the last handful of days (at a minimum). That people have been picking up the message 'no evidence of collusion' is case in point.

E: * Like, the crazy thing is that people paying attention didn't expect there to be any indication of conspiracy over the election, especially not specifically with russia's IRA or drect government agents. That the report seems to have said they couldn't establish it, instead of some other wording, suggests that the investigation actually fucking found something, that they uncovered enough evidence to begin establishing a case but not enough to meet DoJ 90+% confidence standards. Which would actually be kinda' wild, out of left field when the much more likely collusion/conspiracy issues involved other shit entirety.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:00:41 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29174 on: March 29, 2019, 06:55:46 am »

There's definitely an undercurrent of hostility running through this "American Subcontinent bad jokes and governmental memes thread" right now. Lighten up guys. Saying that "Barr summarised the report in an overly vague way therefore trump did something bad =and his whipping boy is covering it up!" isnt really any more helpful than "you're all liars and you should be punished for believing that collusion ever happened"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1943 1944 [1945] 1946 1947 ... 3515