Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1953 1954 [1955] 1956 1957 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3579370 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29311 on: April 03, 2019, 01:01:52 pm »

@ earlier joking about closing the thread: There is certainly a possibility that it'll get temporarily closed as a time out measure, but permaclosed and rebooted, hope not.

"Damn the actual truthfulness or validity of the accusation-- WE HAVE OUR MAN!" is how you send innocent people to death row. (In the hundreds.)

That liberals are unwilling to go down that path, (because it is not actually winning, it is losing horribly) is a sign that they actually do have an interest in actually solving societal issues.

It isn't that liberals are uninterested in winning, or incapable of thinking about winning;  It is that there is a different set of "victory conditions."

(This is to say, throwing a temper tantrum and smashing the chess table is not how you actually win at playing chess. The republican mindset says it is, but no. That is not how you can claim to actually win at playing chess.)

Some Liberals at least, certainly the top Democratic leaders, but there are definetly those who want Trump impeached no matter what.

Anyhow, Trump backed out of the border closure threat and then started it up again with a different target. He's also willing to take the economic hit apparently.

If he's so brave or naive/stupid (incidentially, I almost typo'd brave as braive, heh) as to be willing to take the hit, why doesn't he go ahead and do it just so that reality can smack his face at light speed.
Guess we'll start being referred to by the rest of the world as "Behind The Gold-Plated Curtain". Because once the southern border is sealed off, we have to contend with those nefarious moose rustlers and syrup dealers to our north. They're bringing politeness, they're bringing Justin Bieber and Nickelback and Celine Dion. And some, I'm sure, are good people.

I called it. We're gonna start hating Canada and Buddhists next. Get ready to hear "radical Buddhism" a lot.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29312 on: April 03, 2019, 01:05:15 pm »

Get ready to hear "radical Buddhism" a lot.
Well, there's Myanmar...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29313 on: April 03, 2019, 01:09:57 pm »

There legitimately are radical Buddhists though. They beat people to death.

"It is not my beating you with a club which causes you pain, rather it is caused by your desire to not be beaten with clubs. Let go of your desire." -Buddhist Extremist.

At least that's how I imagine it goes down...

There are plenty of radical Canadians too.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29314 on: April 03, 2019, 03:16:07 pm »

There legitimately are radical Buddhists though. They beat people to death.

"It is not my beating you with a club which causes you pain, rather it is caused by your desire to not be beaten with clubs. Let go of your desire." -Buddhist Extremist.

At least that's how I imagine it goes down...

There are plenty of radical Canadians too.
I was expecting that link to just take me to the Wikipedia page for Quebecois  :P

Remember, we've already established that we can slap tariffs on Canada on national security grounds because something something War of 1812 Overture.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #29315 on: April 03, 2019, 06:03:15 pm »

Dem's in the House have officially demanded 6 years of Trump tax returns, with a 7 day deadline.
Trump has already responded that he is still under audit, and therefore will refuse to cooperate.
Dem's sound confident that they can get the tax returns from the IRS without Trump's help.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29316 on: April 03, 2019, 06:21:54 pm »

I thought the white house's official stance now was that Trump wasn't under audit anymore but they weren't going to release his returns anyway.  Also I notice that they keep ignoring when the IRS says that you can release your returns while under audit.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29317 on: April 03, 2019, 06:23:59 pm »

Yeah, the audit means roughly fuckall, and congressional subpoena and whatnot is... powerful. If the house says gimme' , your pretty much only option is to pony yer shit up as requested. Shouldn't have pissed off the house, folks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29318 on: April 03, 2019, 07:05:56 pm »

Shouldn't have pissed off the house, folks.

More accurate to say the pissed off folks became the House.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29319 on: April 03, 2019, 07:14:36 pm »

I mean, surely if he’d been under audit for at least three years that would raise questions about his financial behavior? /knows nothing of audits
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29320 on: April 03, 2019, 07:25:11 pm »

A random thought occurred to me, but can Trump declare his tax returns to be classified materials?  And if so, do members of congress have the authority to look at classified material?  I'm guessing clearances vary from person to person.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29321 on: April 03, 2019, 07:43:40 pm »

Congressional subpoena is really goddamn broad, and to a large extent just kinda' bypasses other clearance issues. As I understand it, clearance may vary from person to person, but a congresscritter doing congresscrittorial duties has what amounts to de facto clearance for anything a congressional subpoena can put in front of them. Anything, regardless as to if the person would have clearance under other circumstances. And a congressional subpoena can put just about sodding anything in front of them.

Or to put it another way, the extent it'd work out for the executive to hide shit that isn't seriously, seriously, beyond-just-getting-a-president-impeached seriously major is roughly shit fuck all. It wouldn't, and Congress would laugh at them and then maybe set their attempt on fire and piss on the ashes. It's one of those checksy balancey things, or something that arose from them over the years.

E: It's one of those reasons we really should be more careful about who we're putting in congress seats, honestly. Congresscritters may have been pissing around doing jack all a lot for the last while but they actually have quite a goddamn lot of power if they choose to excercise it. If.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:46:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29322 on: April 03, 2019, 08:34:00 pm »

If it's finances from before Trump's candidacy, then it surely cannot even be deemed as privileged-by-Presidency. And anything that covers his "no, I'm not taking that salary, and I've not even had a sniff of emoluments" period then surely such a squeaky-clean operator wouldn't be have anything that's got to be sealed because of pesky National Security issues.

(Ok, so nothing actually that clear-cut, but he won't have many good reasons to stall that aren't reasons that are dodgy indicators that dodgier things yet are being dodged from revealing. You could easily argue.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29323 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:05 pm »

What even are the rules for tax evasion during Presidency? Do we have rules for that?

Like he doesn't get a Presidential salary because he gave that up, what are the consequences for legit criminal activity while sitting as President? Can you convict him? Is he auto-removed? Is it impeachment first, then jail/flogging/a light spanking or whatever?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29324 on: April 03, 2019, 08:44:52 pm »

The only action that can be taken against a sitting president in response to criminal acts is impeachment. What happens after the President is no longer sitting is more complicated -and largely unexplored, thanks to Ford- territory.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1953 1954 [1955] 1956 1957 ... 3513