Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1958 1959 [1960] 1961 1962 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3593321 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29385 on: April 05, 2019, 01:37:46 pm »

@LordBaal: Who's this Abrahams guy?
Oh well, I didn't meant to derail the thread and try it to give the focus on the USA options and opinions. I meant Elliott Abrams.

Double edit, it was the right thread after all. I genuinely thought it was the space thread.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:57:20 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #29386 on: April 05, 2019, 01:40:19 pm »

Seriously?  You know better. Stop with that nonsense at once.

You're suggesting that we should take seriously the continued practice of spending absurd amounts of time and money and risking human lives to visit an orbiting ball of space-dirt?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #29387 on: April 05, 2019, 01:40:46 pm »

While it is space woo, getting routine transport to the moon is required if humanity intends to ever use it as a springboard to other planets or objects.

What does the moon offer as a springboard that we can't just build in orbit and save ourselves the ΔV of landing and taking off? Gravity assist, I guess, but that doesn't involve landing on the thing.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29388 on: April 05, 2019, 01:42:14 pm »

While it is space woo, getting routine transport to the moon is required if humanity intends to ever use it as a springboard to other planets or objects.

What does the moon offer as a springboard that we can't just build in orbit and save ourselves the ΔV of landing and taking off? Gravity assist, I guess, but that doesn't involve landing on the thing.

High concentrations of aluminum ore, with a very low launch cost?

Harvestable quantities of water, with a low launch cost?

Seriously?  You know better. Stop with that nonsense at once.

You're suggesting that we should take seriously the continued practice of spending absurd amounts of time and money and risking human lives to visit an orbiting ball of space-dirt?

Since we have yet to make 100% automated factories, that means having human workers. The point of using the moon as a springboard is to use it as a material processing and manufacturing complex for equipment that would otherwise be too costly to launch from Earth.  That means "yes."

Instead of sending something with a max size of a dune buggy to mars, we could send something the size of an SUV, or larger, with MUCH more science equipment, and a much longer service life, once a reliable lunar fabrication presence is established.  The "We have nothing to learn there, so no reason to go!" rhetoric is tired, and simply not applicable. The reason to go is not for science of the object in question, but resource utility of the object in question.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:50:27 pm by wierd »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29389 on: April 05, 2019, 02:11:44 pm »

Do we not have vast quantities of aluminum and water available one way or another here on Earth, though? Isn't it super easy to nab aluminum from various naturally-occurring compounds?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29390 on: April 05, 2019, 02:18:08 pm »

Do we not have vast quantities of aluminum and water available one way or another here on Earth, though? Isn't it super easy to nab aluminum from various naturally-occurring compounds?
No, we need to save bauxite for our magma floodgates.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29391 on: April 05, 2019, 02:19:48 pm »

Oh yes.  For a launch cost of several thousand dollars per pound, from earth.

The cost to place in lunar orbit from lunar surface would be SIGNIFICANTLY less.

(the goal is to send objects elsewhere in the solar system FROM THE MOON, instead of FROM EARTH.  Water is a very useful shielding material, and also essential to human life-- so assuming we wanted to send manned missions elsewhere in the solar system, launching epic fucktons of it would be necessary.  Getting off the moon instead of earth would be a no brainer.  Likewise with sending lunar fabricated aluminum; You assemble that huge ass space ship in lunar orbit from materials harvested on the moon, rather than materials harvested from earth, because the total cost of the huge ass space ship will be substantially less that way.)

(re: bauxite)

Silly man.  There is no bauxite on the moon.  There is anorthite instead. Read the linked article.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:22:34 pm by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29392 on: April 05, 2019, 02:20:17 pm »

There's a situational value to water (and aluminum) which is already pretty much in space.  A lazy google estimates the price to launch one kilogram of material is about $10,000.  If we want to build stuff with aluminum or support lifeforms with water (even if we heavily reuse the water) having a lunar source avoids a lot of that cost.

I don't have an opinion about lunar missions at this moment, but I like Kerbal Space Program (;
ninja'd
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29393 on: April 05, 2019, 02:23:22 pm »

(re: bauxite)

Silly man.  There is no bauxite on the moon.  There is anorthite instead. Read the linked article.
That's the point. You're applying pee kid mathematics again.

We can't use bauxite as an earth-aluminum source because we need it for magma floodgates, so we have to go to space to get alumoonum.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29394 on: April 05, 2019, 02:30:07 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v_budget

NO, we get it from space to avoid having to process and burn epic fucktons of fuel to get it into a useful transfer orbit.

See the handy chart.  Note the difference in the bars for pounds of fuel required to achieve orbital delta-v between the earth's and the moon's surfaces.

THAT is the reason.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29395 on: April 05, 2019, 02:36:00 pm »

No, actually. Napoleon actually gave aluminum spoons to his favorite guests. The less prestigious ones had to settle for gold.

Until the modern Bayer process for smelting aluminum was invented in 1888, the only way to get aluminum was through nearly pure pockets of the metal underground. As aluminum is a rather reactive substance, these were very rare. Even now, aluminum smelting uses up vast amounts of energy, which is why aluminum is one of the more expensive metals.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29396 on: April 05, 2019, 02:44:48 pm »

@wierd
But where's the investment and maintenance cost for the lunar manufacturing base in all of that? I.e. how many tons would one have to send from the Moon vs from Earth to justify the initial cost of the base? How many tons per year to justify its maintenance? Because that might prove to be such a huge number, that it's not going to be even needed in any sort of a foreseeable future.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29397 on: April 05, 2019, 02:47:04 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v_budget

NO, we get it from space to avoid having to process and burn epic fucktons of fuel to get it into a useful transfer orbit.

See the handy chart.  Note the difference in the bars for pounds of fuel required to achieve orbital delta-v between the earth's and the moon's surfaces.

THAT is the reason.

That's what they want you to think.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29398 on: April 05, 2019, 02:50:08 pm »

Ya but like, what is the end game here? Like I understand the concept of grabbing material from space to build things in space, but what are we after in space that makes all this worth it? Is the cure for cancer on Neptune?

What are we actually after aside from settling another planet for funsies? If it's a resource thing, why not invest in sustainable things here on Earth instead? We will need that stuff anyway if we settle elsewhere.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29399 on: April 05, 2019, 02:57:59 pm »

"Golden space parachute for 1%ers after they ruin the earth" is floated as one, but that does not pan out numbers wise. (Surviving on a blasted earth would still be easier.)

similar story with "Solve overpopulation by forced space migration!", since humans seem incapable of understanding how exponential growth works.

Really, the best reason is "Because humans dont always do what is logistically or logically sound, and do things for the cool factor."

Pages: 1 ... 1958 1959 [1960] 1961 1962 ... 3515