Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1984 1985 [1986] 1987 1988 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595982 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29775 on: April 17, 2019, 02:25:52 pm »

Now that we're back on this topic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hrn6vnOjRs

He's a brit, talking about brits, but it's relevant.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29776 on: April 17, 2019, 02:26:53 pm »

treats objects like women (man)
Don't you ever disrespect Tiffany in front of me again! She's the sweetest, kindest Fleshlight I've ever met!
We both missed a reference, I didn't get that one, and I was going for The Big Lebowski myself.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29777 on: April 17, 2019, 03:50:29 pm »

and yes, if anyone still supports him at this point, they're a stupid fucker and should accept their role as a comic book villain because that's the best they're going to do.

What's he done that's so bad?

This was bait, you know.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29778 on: April 17, 2019, 04:26:42 pm »

and yes, if anyone still supports him at this point, they're a stupid fucker and should accept their role as a comic book villain because that's the best they're going to do.

This was bait, you know.

You SAY that... but I hear that asked legitimately all the time.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29779 on: April 17, 2019, 04:33:11 pm »

That really drills down to my actual problem with all this....

You don't know what anyone actually believes. You don't know if they're trolling, you don't know if they're serious, you don't know if it's both.

The memes were fun at first, ahahah let's have a laugh at some harmless but topical racism. But as time went on and the memes got more shrill and the stares of the people making them got more and more aggressive....

I've seen this happen with friends who consume a steady diet of 4chan memes. They repeat them but their tone makes it so you don't, can't, really know what they believe. You can ask, and you sometimes might get a legit answer. (Been watching a lot of Count Dankula recently who basically at the epicentre of this shit posting.)

To him it's humorous. And if you ask him to actually describe his politics, he will. But he's the exception rather than the rule. And from what I've seen among my friends.....it isn't just humor or bants. After a while, some of it starts to sink in. If they're not drinking the kool-aid outright, they're at least starting to sip at it.

And that's what's frustrating. Ok, you want to bait libtards and w/e, fine. They're asking to be baited by being unreasonable themselves, and we can have just as much of a laugh at them as we used to have at the more extreme elements of the right.

But now....now you can't get a straight answer out of anyone. The memes have gotten so meta that either people are completely divorced from reality and are laughing at their screens with rictus scream-filled faces while they consume dank memes....or they feather the line between humor and actual opinion, deliberately being evasive because it's either a) funny to them or b) a way to not actually have to say what they believe where it might actually cost them.

And holy shit am I sick of this. I sort of yearn for the older days of straight, brutal political discourse rather than this sneering game of one-upsmanship. The way discourse works today reminds me more and more of early forum posting for me in the 2000s, where I'd waste hours and hours pointlessly and sometimes disingenuously debating people simply to score points against a random stranger whose mind I wasn't going to change.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29780 on: April 17, 2019, 05:16:44 pm »

I'm so meta even this meme...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #29781 on: April 17, 2019, 05:41:27 pm »

This was bait, you know.
Em, I assume you mean my post because other people also seem to assume you mean my post.

It was a legitimate question. I know he's said a lot of bad and highly inexcusable stuff.
Rarely do people seem to talk about what he actually does that is bad.

But I suppose any question which hits a nerve with someone must be... auto-bait? Dunno.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29783 on: April 17, 2019, 05:57:46 pm »

Repealing the order to report civilian casualties from drone strikes is another.

>:|

Obama strikes killed hundreds of children in those strike, by the by. I'm sure Trump is more careful and honest about the brown kids he accidentally murders. He's good like that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #29784 on: April 17, 2019, 06:06:13 pm »

His appointees are exclusively people who want to destroy the agencies they were put in charge of.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29785 on: April 17, 2019, 06:30:35 pm »

Repealing the order to report civilian casualties from drone strikes is another.

>:|

Obama strikes killed hundreds of children in those strike, by the by. I'm sure Trump is more careful and honest about the brown kids he accidentally murders. He's good like that.

And re-defined combatant to mean any military-age male in a strike zone, to manipulate reporting of civilian deaths.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29786 on: April 17, 2019, 06:50:11 pm »

He recently vetoed the vote both houses made to rescind support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen, saying that it stopped him exercising his constitutional right to support regimes that murder journalists critical of them, and that have killed thousands of civilians in air strikes. Also something about rescinding support putting American lives at risk or something.

Also that shutdown. His negotiating tactic was “I could end this shutdown right now if I wanted!” and he let it last for 5 weeks, meaning 800,000 people were either forced to stay home from work, or work without pay. One of the groups affected was border guards, and he’s complaining about the national emergency/humanitarian crisis on the border as a result of migrant caravans getting ready to “invade”.

I wonder, what was the going rate to bribe a guard during those five weeks?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29787 on: April 17, 2019, 06:57:18 pm »

His appointees are exclusively people who want to destroy the agencies they were put in charge of.

Rick Perry changed his mind though and I don’t think Carson ever said anything about destroying the HUD department. Moving it in another direction, sure, but not destructively. At the very least, he hasn’t been embroiled in constant scandals and missteps like Betsy DeVos has.

Anyways, in case you guys haven’t noticed already, A.G. Barr is going to do some press conference at 9:30 am EST tomorrow while the (redacted, remember) Mueller report will get released around 11.

The first thing I’m gonna wonder is if he really did go and color code the redactions (which would be unusual AFAIK, and I guess some might find it condescending, but it’s certainly a level of transparency that isn’t usually public) or whether that really was sarcasm all along.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29788 on: April 17, 2019, 07:03:46 pm »

I mean, that'd be pretty great, so we can always hope... But no, I kinda doubt it.

As for other Trump stuff, I guess it's a matter of opinion whether moving the embassy to Jerusalem was evil or just dumb.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #29789 on: April 17, 2019, 07:05:54 pm »

edit: smjjames beat me to it.
Pages: 1 ... 1984 1985 [1986] 1987 1988 ... 3515