Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 ... 2335

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1314596 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29940 on: April 26, 2019, 07:08:47 pm »

Don't banks already do that, having control of an estate? Or whatever happens to the estates of wealthy people who die without a will.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29941 on: April 26, 2019, 07:10:28 pm »

I dunno; I think there's a certain elegance in solving inheritance problems by simply banning children.  A lot of problems could be solved just by banning children.  Global overpopulation?  Ban children.  Political dynasties?  Ban children.  Over-large carbon footprint?  Ban children.  Declining soil quality in agricultural areas due to overproduction?  Ban children.  Poor people having too many children?  Ban children. 

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29942 on: April 26, 2019, 07:20:08 pm »

Better Idea: Ban human life past the age of 40. 30 if you have not produced a replacement. The human race continues, and we speed up the process of new ideas taking hold in society. None of this faffing around, you grow up, you create children, you educate them with your life experience, donezo. Carbon footprint reduced, accumulation of wealth reduced, no expectation of arbitrary terms of fulfillment into old age, population problems resolved.

Heck, this would have a more positive impact on the planet as a whole. Kids consume less of basically everything that drains our planet.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 07:24:10 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm in too many RPs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29943 on: April 26, 2019, 07:22:26 pm »

I shudder to think of what would happen to the sciences without experts that have had 20+ years to accumulate knowledge.
As it turns out, outpost liasons blend.
I guess there are more bronies than psychotic suicidal alcoholics. Who knew.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29944 on: April 26, 2019, 07:25:41 pm »

Better Idea: Ban human life past the age of 40. 30 if you have not produced a replacement. The human race continues, and we speed up the process of new ideas taking hold in society. None of this faffing around, you grow up, you create children, you educate them with your life experience, donezo. Carbon footprint reduced, accumulation of wealth reduced, no expectation of arbitrary terms of fulfillment into old age, population problems resolved.

Heck, this would have a more positive impact on the planet as a whole. Kids consume less of basically everything that drains our planet.

I know theres been a dystopian movie or two with that kind of age cutoff, except that the one I know of has it at 50.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29945 on: April 26, 2019, 07:26:50 pm »

I shudder to think of what would happen to the sciences without experts that have had 20+ years to accumulate knowledge.

We don't need it anymore. Medical sciences would be less taxed to a comical degree in comparison to what we need now. How many problems in our physiology only crop up in middle age? Most of them. Plenty of sciences have found advancements from those in the 30-40 range of life. We might progress slower, but it wouldn't be catastrophic.

It's not dystopian. It's logical. The goal is to reduce our effect on the planet, and according to the heroes of logical science our population is the primary driving force. We need children to perpetuate our existence. Obviously life expectancy is the place to make cuts.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 07:29:46 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm in too many RPs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29946 on: April 26, 2019, 07:28:42 pm »

I know you're just taking the piss but I'm not certain some advancements are even possible without crusty old physicists to teach quantum mechanics to the newest generation or what have you. That sort of thing can take decades to achieve competence with.
As it turns out, outpost liasons blend.
I guess there are more bronies than psychotic suicidal alcoholics. Who knew.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29947 on: April 26, 2019, 07:32:09 pm »

I know you're just taking the piss but I'm not certain some advancements are even possible without crusty old physicists to teach quantum mechanics to the newest generation or what have you. That sort of thing can take decades to achieve competence with.

I am taking the piss, you're right.

Just to take one last swipe, you don't need quantum physics if you don't need to leave the planet, which is now fine due to population controls.

EDIT, AND CHECKMATE:
Trump would not be President under my system, having been peacefully culled long ago.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 07:45:00 pm by Dunamisdeos »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29948 on: April 26, 2019, 07:45:19 pm »

besides

all of those things are also solved by

you know

eating the rich
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29949 on: April 26, 2019, 07:48:18 pm »

besides

all of those things are also solved by

you know

eating the rich

My plan can be altered to eat all those over the allotted age range.

Do we have an accord.

Also, you are now thinking about eating Donald Trump. Enjoy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29950 on: April 26, 2019, 07:49:33 pm »

Well, everybody here is telling me I should compromise...

EAT THE OLD RICH (AND ASSOCIATES)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29951 on: April 26, 2019, 07:53:26 pm »

DILLY DILLY.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29952 on: April 26, 2019, 08:04:51 pm »

DILLY DILLY.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Next youíll be complaining about all the corn syrup in rich people or something.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29953 on: April 26, 2019, 08:06:33 pm »

Is that a concern? We should introduce legislature on human nutrition to be sure that we are properly healthy and tender upon consumption by our own children.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29954 on: April 26, 2019, 08:10:24 pm »

That's not actually the case; most of the actual work in academia is done by grad students in their early to mid twenties supervised by postdocs in their thirties. The professors' actual job is mostly internal politics if they're good at it or teaching undergraduates if they aren't, and they persist in those jobs indefinitely precisely because they don't require staying up to date -- and in so doing, they lock out more qualified, younger people. Professors are generally old not because they take so long to educate but because it's hard to get them to retire until they're at least mostly dead, in large part because the job's so hellish that only an absolute maniac would take it in the first place.

Crusty old scientists teach crusty old science, which is fine for undergraduates (who are almost all useless anyway) but is by no means sufficient. If we were allowed to be more selective sooner in the process we wouldn't need them, which is a large part of why we do not have that freedom.
Pages: 1 ... 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 ... 2335