Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595151 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30765 on: June 21, 2019, 03:10:10 pm »

Sweet jesus, the US left wasn't "precluded", all our leftist leaders were fucking murdered and leftist organization systematically dismantled by government forces. I realize that Bay 12 is apparently going to cheer on the Iran War, but at least get history correct.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30766 on: June 21, 2019, 03:14:59 pm »

Yeah, seriusly. I mean, I know global warming is very real, also I believe in equal civil rigths for everyone and same sex civil marriage and adoption. I vouche for super strict  gun control (not ban however) and while abortion is something shouldn't be done like a molar extraction it's ultimately a decision between the potential parents.

So yeah, it's kinda paradoxical.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30767 on: June 21, 2019, 03:21:21 pm »

Yeah, seriusly. I mean, I know global warming is very real, also I believe in equal civil rigths for everyone and same sex civil marriage and adoption. I vouche for super strict  gun control (not ban however) and while abortion is something shouldn't be done like a molar extraction it's ultimately a decision between the potential parents.

It didn't used to be. There were liberal Republicans once, and conservative Democrats. Not to be presumptuous, but you sound like you would possibly have aligned well with what the liberal Republicans would most likely have become had they persisted as a political bloc to the present day. However, most of what was left of them went and became libertarians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30768 on: June 21, 2019, 03:26:23 pm »

Sweet jesus, the US left wasn't "precluded", all our leftist leaders were fucking murdered and leftist organization systematically dismantled by government forces. I realize that Bay 12 is apparently going to cheer on the Iran War, but at least get history correct.

And then precluded, also, I'm not one of those cheering on the Iran war.

It didn't used to be. There were liberal Republicans once, and conservative Democrats. Not to be presumptuous, but you sound like you would possibly have aligned well with what the liberal Republicans would most likely have become had they persisted as a political bloc to the present day. However, most of what was left of them went and became libertarians.

Or more recently, got voted out of office to be replaced by either (depending on the district) Democrats or more hard right wing Republicans.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30769 on: June 21, 2019, 03:32:40 pm »

I'm not one of those cheering on the Iran war.

Looking back, I don't think anyone has actually posted in favor of the Iran war; the closest we've gotten is an assertion that it'd be more difficult politically than militarily, which is far from an endorsement.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30770 on: June 21, 2019, 05:33:26 pm »

Yes, we can flatten Iran militarily with little to no effort provided that they don't get direct help from a major power, but also it would be a nightmare to actually manage the situation afterwards, much like Iraq.

I feel like everyone here is on board with that.

That said, the idea that we should go to war over a goddamn drone is ridiculous. Who the hell cares. Send em' a bill.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30771 on: June 21, 2019, 06:16:15 pm »

I don't cheer on the Iran war either, although that's more because I think the price will be too high and have doubt that we have a reasonable plan to achieve victory or avoid becoming diplomatically isolated rather than thinking it doesn't make sense as an objective. In fact I can hardly think of anyone who does, except for some older people who I suspect just like when America flexes its muscles and don't really care about where or why.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30772 on: June 21, 2019, 06:18:13 pm »

I interrupt your shouting to bring you a news update, if not already posted: ICE predawn raids sunday morning.

Edit: a friendly reminder that LordBaal probably still sits left of center. That is all.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:20:23 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30773 on: June 21, 2019, 06:25:12 pm »

I interrupt your shouting to bring you a news update, if not already posted: ICE predawn raids sunday morning.

Edit: a friendly reminder that LordBaal probably still sits left of center. That is all.

Holy shit actual activity, and it only took three fucking years
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30774 on: June 21, 2019, 06:42:33 pm »

Holy shit actual activity, and it only took three fucking years

The concentration camps weren't enough for you, then?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30775 on: June 21, 2019, 06:44:58 pm »

Ok setting aside discussion about how ethical this raid on migrant families is...

Holy shit Trump just blew the cover off a secret ICE mass-raid with a tweet.

What a goddamn jackass. Good thing nobody else uses twitter, or they could be forewarned and move.

Anyway. According to the article they are supposedly going after families that skipped the legal part of immigration and have already been advised of the next step. Also they are holding them in hotels (instead of cages or what have you, thanks guys /sarcasm) pending either deportation or releasing them with ankle bracelets. They are also making sure families don't get separated, holding them in said hotel rooms until parents/children are together.

I don't really trust ICE not to accidentally kill a toddler during this process, but hey. There's a distinct flavor of Lawful Evil going on here instead of the usual Chaotic. Improvement, I guess?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30776 on: June 21, 2019, 06:50:15 pm »

I don't really trust ICE not to accidentally kill a toddler during this process, but hey. There's a distinct flavor of Lawful Evil going on here instead of the usual Chaotic. Improvement, I guess?

Yeah, neither do I. ICE's recruitment has long been of the secure-the-borders-from-the-hordes type, and the people that attracts have been very publicly eager to kick the [slurs] out of the country. Now they get to storm the country at night.

This will end in blood.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30777 on: June 21, 2019, 07:13:44 pm »

Language from the article suggests that current dhs management is a ljttle more concerned with public image this time. Hopefully that makes a lawful evil difference.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30778 on: June 21, 2019, 07:49:59 pm »

Yeah, neither do I. ICE's recruitment has long been of the secure-the-borders-from-the-hordes type, and the people that attracts have been very publicly eager to kick the [slurs] out of the country. Now they get to storm the country at night.

This will end in blood.

Yeah like, don't get me wrong ICE's job does need to be done. You shouldn't be able to come here with no legal process, or be able to ignore the legal process.

But yes they seem to have been recruiting from the unstable jackass section of the population for a long time now. Also, noone would have known about this actual nighttime raid on sleeping families until it happened if not for the Tweeter In Chief. I know that logically the idea is that they won't be able to find these people otherwise, and that getting them while they are theoretically going to be in a known location is a sound tactic, but it still makes me uneasy.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #30779 on: June 21, 2019, 07:57:07 pm »

Actually no, ICE's job of racist murder and terrorizing does not need to be done.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 ... 3515