Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2056 2057 [2058] 2059 2060 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3580824 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30855 on: June 26, 2019, 04:54:51 pm »

So before the Democratic debates start, did anyone else read about the NRA?

Not only did they lose their propaganda network, they also lost their top lobbyist on the same day.

I'd just like to remind everyone that politicizing such a tragedy would be crass so soon after it's happened, and we should all confine our attempts to aid them to thoughts and prayers.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30856 on: June 26, 2019, 05:04:39 pm »

This has all been known for weeks. The NRA's had multiple acrimonious lawsuits with the agency that operates NRA TV, and the power struggle at the top levels was reported on quite some time ago.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30857 on: June 26, 2019, 06:09:52 pm »

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha these people are insane.

[Alabama car dealership offers free shotgun, Bible and American flag to customers]

(They are apparently handing out bibles and vouchers to go to a local gun store where background checks and the like are performed before handing someone their car shotgun. It's also a town with a heavy hunting community.)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30858 on: June 26, 2019, 06:20:44 pm »

[Alabama car dealership offers free shotgun, Bible and American flag to customers]

(They are apparently handing out bibles and vouchers to go to a local gun store where background checks and the like are performed before handing someone their car shotgun. It's also a town with a heavy hunting community.)

Brings new meaning to 'riding shotgun'
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30859 on: June 26, 2019, 06:50:08 pm »

Bottomer line, trust no one but your used car, your bible, flag and shotgun.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30860 on: June 26, 2019, 07:51:53 pm »

I suppose nobody would mind getting another flag, though most in that area would already have a bible and at least one gun, so, I'm not sure how far that marketing is going to go. I suppose it might be aimed at youngsters who don't own their own bible and haven't gotten their personal shotgun yet for whatever reason. It's probably also playing heavily to stereotype.

Anyways, first round of the first Democratic debates is starting soon, like 10 minutes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30861 on: June 26, 2019, 08:54:11 pm »

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30862 on: June 26, 2019, 09:02:49 pm »

What's a debate without the occasional technical glitch, heh, something about the moderators microphones accidentially being switched off in the control room I think.

I guess Trump thought there'd be more contentous stuff or more attacking of him because the only tweet so far is BORING!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:07:22 pm by smjjames »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30863 on: June 26, 2019, 09:51:46 pm »

Not like I could name even half the democrats running, much less why they are running.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30864 on: June 26, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »

I might be able to name most of them if i tried, but im less sure i could identify them. Name, maybe, match name to correct face, eeehhh...

Whys are a bit easier, though, for some. Inslee's probably angling for sec of energy or EPA position (which might actually be pretty legit given how hard he's hammering climate issues), yang's fluffing UBI, de blah wants a vacation away from NYC, etc. Some folks are probably aiming for VP or cabinet pick, stuff like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30865 on: June 26, 2019, 10:56:07 pm »

Here I was thinking they wanted to show solidarity (of a sort, through numbers) that they are against Trump.

Sure, each has their own policies they want to trumpet, but I thought it was mostly "Hey! We aren't trump! We strongly oppose his bullshit! Pick one of us, PLEASE!"

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30866 on: June 26, 2019, 11:42:20 pm »

"Not Trump" isn't a platform though.  No shit you aren't trump.  That's literally the default, people basically already know that as you have a big D next to your name.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30867 on: June 26, 2019, 11:55:59 pm »

It's sorta the same psychology for why there were 23 GOP candidates in the 2016 election.  "We aren't Obama! We're all white dudes that love money! Vote for one of us!"

In this case, it's "We aren't Trump! We are a diverse group of people that want to fix social issues!  Vote for one of us!"

They might not be aware of this, (or they might be, not sure) but basically the subtle message is there. Yeah, it's a no brainer that none of them are Trump.  However, if few candidates ran, what subtle message would that send? (Take for instance, the unconscious message that would be sent if only Bernie, Biden, and Warren were running. 'those are all old leather bags of skin!' et al, would be common epithets. The DNC seems to be playing the field, so to speak, and presenting a selection of candidates which correspond to a smattering of biases, hoping that one of them will stick. Party leadership likely wants one of these contenders to steal mindshare from Sanders and Warren, because those two would seriously upset the status quo apple cart.)

Ultimately, the number of candidates will be culled strongly in the primaries, but at this point, making a big show of having lots of "eager, willing" people that want to replace President Toupee sends strong subconscious messages of the sort I just mentioned.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #30868 on: June 27, 2019, 12:10:22 am »

That implies that there was a deliberate choice to have so many candidates, which I doubt. The wide.field is mostly due to a lack of an obvious first string candidate, combine with identity politics ensuring that there was a huge variety in the "just notable enough to build a platform" tier.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30869 on: June 27, 2019, 12:31:16 am »

That implies that there was a deliberate choice to have so many candidates, which I doubt. The wide.field is mostly due to a lack of an obvious first string candidate, combine with identity politics ensuring that there was a huge variety in the "just notable enough to build a platform" tier.

Yes, this; the DNC didn't choose to have 24 candidates, because that's not how the primary process works. Even the circumspect controls they usually have are less powerful this year, if only because the progressive wing is breathing down Perez's neck looking for evidence the DNC's sold itself to a candidate under the table again.

I think the large field is also just the new normal; whether you want to blame Trump for removing all sense of what makes someone presidential timber or social media for changing how we talk about candidates, the fact remains that the bar to entry into the primary is now low enough that it's a viable strategy to get on a crowded stage, emit a viral sound bite, and ride that wave as far as it goes before just turning it into whatever off-ramp you want. The median level of ambition is somewhere around getting enough of a bloc together to trade an endorsement of the eventual front-runner for a Cabinet position; offhand, maybe a quarter of the current field is seriously trying to win the nomination, with another quarter just looking for a national platform to parlay into something in the private sector.
Pages: 1 ... 2056 2057 [2058] 2059 2060 ... 3513