Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2059 2060 [2061] 2062 2063 ... 2195

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1046937 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Mangled Hamlet
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30900 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »

Anything you can accomplish with existing technology is probably not worth doing.
The path through hell is paved with bad intentions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30901 on: April 26, 2019, 08:29:23 pm »

Sounds like someone needs a trip to the cannery.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30902 on: April 26, 2019, 08:31:50 pm »

Better Idea: Ban human life past the age of 40. 30 if you have not produced a replacement. The human race continues, and we speed up the process of new ideas taking hold in society. None of this faffing around, you grow up, you create children, you educate them with your life experience, donezo. Carbon footprint reduced, accumulation of wealth reduced, no expectation of arbitrary terms of fulfillment into old age, population problems resolved.

Heck, this would have a more positive impact on the planet as a whole. Kids consume less of basically everything that drains our planet.

I know theres been a dystopian movie or two with that kind of age cutoff, except that the one I know of has it at 50.

Logan's Run. I believe the age of "renewal" is 30. Gotta say, if you're gonna systematically cull the population, you might as well do it with with style. Great movie, if pretty dated by now.

Mine doesn't even require nonexistent technology. You can just shoot them and use a meat grinder.

So we've settled on eating the old and rich, and I feel like I met no resistance on the human nutrition regulatory committee. HNRC rolls off the palate so smoothly, wouldn't you all agree? This flippant edgelord bullshit is a helluva drug.

We've settled on eating the old and banning children. We're so close to solving all our problems.

Unfortunately this is all derivative edge from Soylent Green.
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30903 on: April 26, 2019, 08:34:22 pm »

No no, children allowed. 40 is not, 30 is the cutoff if you fail to reproduce. Logical benefits have been listed.

EDIT:
Logically, 2 or 3 would be the regulated limit, however. The idea being to replace parents, and to provide a small extra for those who are culled at 30.

Additional benefit would be a lessening of tax burdens and personal costs to life. It costs approximately 200k to raise a child from birth to 18, but the average cost of a senior living home/nursing home runs from 80k-200k a year. The economic gains could be considerable.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:41:07 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30904 on: April 26, 2019, 08:42:35 pm »

Did I somehow stumble into a Logan's Run movie?

Because it looks like I stumbled into a Logan's Run movie..

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30905 on: April 26, 2019, 08:44:01 pm »

My plan is better than any old movie script.

I'm going home, I expect to see this expounded upon when I return. The future of the planet is at stake, people.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30906 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:16 pm »

*Meaning of Life Territory*

Just to address this because I missed it in the shenanigans, my issue with it comes in when society and the planet has to bear the burden as well. Long ago, our ignorance and lack of sophistication and science served as a check on population growth. We've outstripped nature's ability to prevent us from wrecking the planet, seemingly. So I do see literally having a kid year for 5 years, or however many that people start to wonder why, as contributing to a lot of problems.

It's kinda like when playing a village sim and you get a sudden influx of migrants or nomads. This keeps happening while your infrastructure starts to struggle to keep up. But you decide that, in gamer's terms, it's more "fun" when things get outta control. Or that ultimately the value of each uncared for migrant isn't actually that worthwhile 'cause there's plenty more where that came from.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:54:05 pm by nenjin »
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30907 on: April 26, 2019, 08:54:16 pm »

Yeah I think that's the one I was thinking of. Either that or the Soylent Green one, I wasn't sure what the title was that I was remembering.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30908 on: April 26, 2019, 08:54:58 pm »

Downside:  Everyone will be reckless as shit, having very little to lose.  You think people are irresponsible now.  Especially when it comes to kids.  Expect 3-4 children before age 20 to become commonplace.  And you think social pressure to have kids is bad now.  Imagine it being expected payment for 10 years of life.  Population will skyrocket.  Rampant hard drug usage, too.  Get as much pleasure as possible in as short a time as possible, knowing you won't live long enough for it to catch up with you.  Enjoy your overcrowded death rave.  Edgy stuff usually only works when thinking of people in terms of numbers, not when you think of sociological effects.  Yes, I know you weren't serious.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30909 on: April 26, 2019, 09:02:30 pm »

Yeah I think that's the one I was thinking of. Either that or the Soylent Green one, I wasn't sure what the title was that I was remembering.

Definitely Logan's Run.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30910 on: April 26, 2019, 09:03:54 pm »

Yeah, looked at wiki and it wasn't Soylent Green, though I could see it happening there in order to increase production of Soylent Green.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30911 on: April 26, 2019, 09:04:31 pm »

Yeah, definitely. Having kids would be a societal pressure. Just like NOT having kids is a societal pressure that some think needs to be enacted.

Three kids before 30 certainly would be commonplace, and encouraged. Discussions would change from when to have kids to whether or not you should ethically be sure to have them before 23 if you ever intend to. Your parents would talk to you about family planning the same way they talk to you about college.

Everyone wants to talk about how we should logically run our society, let's do it. And really, who cares if they have an overcrowded death rave? We could set up zones. Let the police guide traffic in and out. We already have insanely overcrowded sports events, and those are managed with machine precision. Hell, overcrowded Nascar races are basically the same thing. We're talking about a sustainable society based on population control, but now we're doing it in a way that we can contribute to. No blaming others, just our own action. We're basically heroes. You wanna get crazy, let's get crazy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30912 on: April 26, 2019, 09:29:45 pm »

*Meaning of Life Territory*

Just to address this because I missed it in the shenanigans, my issue with it comes in when society and the planet has to bear the burden as well. Long ago, our ignorance and lack of sophistication and science served as a check on population growth. We've outstripped nature's ability to prevent us from wrecking the planet, seemingly. So I do see literally having a kid year for 5 years, or however many that people start to wonder why, as contributing to a lot of problems.

I agree.  Which is why I said that my personal opinion is it's irresponsible in today's circumstances to have more than 2.  My only contention was applying that universally.  No qualifers.  No "you shouldn't have kids if/when..." or "you should ___ before having kids...".  That's stepping beyond the point of authority that I think anyone can claim legitimacy to, and using concern for children or overpopulation as a vehicle for other unfortunate implications.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #30913 on: April 26, 2019, 09:45:46 pm »

I all for eating the rich, but I'm stumbling a bit since this stuff seems a lil bit fishy coming from a llama.
In a time before time, I was David The Master.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • :thonk:
    • View Profile
« Reply #30914 on: April 26, 2019, 11:08:10 pm »

death by 30 w/o kids?

guess my 'sperg ass is as good as dead, then.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 2059 2060 [2061] 2062 2063 ... 2195