Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2063 2064 [2065] 2066 2067 ... 2195

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 1046747 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30960 on: April 30, 2019, 09:37:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems I'll eat my words?
Perhaps. Either way, here's hoping you stay safe in the present situation.

Thanks dude! I'll keep us safe.

Sec. of State even coined a name for it, 'Operacion Libertad'
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:41:01 am by smjjames »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30961 on: April 30, 2019, 09:44:50 am »

Back to politics, Betsy Devos is the actual fucking satan devil and I'll fight everyone on that.

Hehe, betcha think ye'r funny.

Give him a week to figure out how to bill separated families for daycare. Because, obviously, refugee jail is just summer camp.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • :thonk:
    • View Profile
« Reply #30962 on: April 30, 2019, 09:46:48 am »

Back to politics, Betsy Devos is the actual fucking satan devil and I'll fight everyone on that.

Give him a week to figure out how to bill separated families for daycare. Because, obviously, refugee jail is just summer camp.

Its a summer camp to help those with ADD.  A concentration camp, if you will.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30963 on: April 30, 2019, 10:00:35 am »

Its a summer camp to help those with ADD.  A concentration camp, if you will.

Bad joke, come on man. XD

Anyhow, isn't making asylum seekers have to pay in order to seek asylum against international law? If not the spirit of it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30964 on: April 30, 2019, 10:02:08 am »

Only Americans would look at "6 digit student debt not eliminated by bankruptcy" and think "man our civil servants don't deserve that but everyone else does."

Only the current administration would intentionally fail to fix even that narrow problem and let a 700 million dollar budget sit around.  264 applicants accepted is getting into "every last one of them had a personal contact" territory.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30965 on: April 30, 2019, 10:24:21 am »

The money is probably getting misappropriated, would be my guess.
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30966 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:22 am »

I'd buy it in heartbeat, but the sad thing is it might not be.  Intentionally not spending a budget so that the education department loses it next year is exactly something Betsy Devos would do, her schtick is she doesn't want public education to exist so that way everyone will have to go to private charter schools.  For example a close friend of mine was supposed to get federal assistance last year in paying for grad school and the money just... didn't arrive.  I think it eventually materialized months later so it was never stolen either.  The administration of "why don't we just not do our jobs?"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30967 on: April 30, 2019, 10:31:03 am »

Is that how it works? That if you don't spend it, you lose it? That seems like it would create extremely crooked incentives, and seems like it'd be the kind of financial control that only totally clueless people would use. Or in other words, exactly what you'd expect out of the government.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30968 on: April 30, 2019, 10:34:02 am »

The administration of "why don't we just not do our jobs?"

Honestly, I'm surprised that things didn't get way worse, which is probably largely due to the bureauacracy continuing under it's own momentum, if less efficiently as it should be doing.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30969 on: April 30, 2019, 10:39:09 am »

For example a close friend of mine was supposed to get federal assistance last year in paying for grad school and the money just... didn't arrive.  I think it eventually materialized months later so it was never stolen either.  The administration of "why don't we just not do our jobs?"

Did the graduate school itself have any part in the process?  Because if so, I wouldn't put it past them to have been the problem.  My experience has convinced me that graduate school administrations are black holes of incompetence.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30970 on: April 30, 2019, 10:43:07 am »

Is that how it works? That if you don't spend it, you lose it? That seems like it would create extremely crooked incentives, and seems like it'd be the kind of financial control that only totally clueless people would use. Or in other words, exactly what you'd expect out of the government.

That's exactly how budgeting works. It's why the military routinely fires off a shitload of ammunition at the end of the year, so to the bean counters it looks like it was consumed. If it's not consumed, the bean counters go "well then clearly we can reduce your budget next year since you didn't use all that ammo." This is true of most department budgets. If you can't justify what you have, you lose it. I've heard stories from enlisted folk of "grenade parties" where they'd just detonate crates upon crates worth of grenades to "clear out their stock."

In a normally functioning government, departments fight to keep their current funding or get more funding next year. They will accomplish this through the same frivolous means (wasting what remains of their budget so it gets consumed, hiding money, spending it inefficiently.) But in this whackadoo dystopian government, departments are actively trying to self-sabotage because the Great Deal Maker wishes it to be so.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:45:06 am by nenjin »
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #30971 on: April 30, 2019, 10:49:15 am »

That's how it works in corporations, too. Don't fall into the libertarian propaganda trap of assuming government is always the worst way to do something.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:35:11 pm by PTTG?? »
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30972 on: April 30, 2019, 12:14:40 pm »

Anyhow, isn't making asylum seekers have to pay in order to seek asylum against international law? If not the spirit of it.
It's absolutely against the spirit of it. There's zero bloody question on that front.

Letter of the law (and more importantly domestic letter of the law given the US routinely wipes our ass with international law) is a different question, but spirit of it isn't a question at all. It's a blatant attempt to piss on said spirit.

... and yeah, corps aren't exactly much (or any) better at budget allocation. It's a very generic logistics issue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30973 on: April 30, 2019, 12:41:20 pm »

I mean the idea is just to correct when you over budget for something by not doing so in the following year, the problem of course being that expenditure each year isn't always the same. My dad used to work in middle management for telecomms companies and used to moan about the same stuff, with them pissing away part of their budgets each year just to justify having the same budget in future.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30974 on: April 30, 2019, 02:40:00 pm »

For example a close friend of mine was supposed to get federal assistance last year in paying for grad school and the money just... didn't arrive.  I think it eventually materialized months later so it was never stolen either.  The administration of "why don't we just not do our jobs?"

Did the graduate school itself have any part in the process?  Because if so, I wouldn't put it past them to have been the problem.  My experience has convinced me that graduate school administrations are black holes of incompetence.
Its entirely possible, most college administrations seem to make mistakes often.
Pages: 1 ... 2063 2064 [2065] 2066 2067 ... 2195