Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2066 2067 [2068] 2069 2070 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3599177 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31005 on: July 04, 2019, 05:28:33 pm »

I often picked the germans in WW2 games simply because I thought their tanks looked cooler.

That's it. That's my reasoning. I've since learned to broaden my horizons. Every nation has tanks that are cool in their own way. But when I was young, and foolish... Panzer Vor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31006 on: July 04, 2019, 05:29:58 pm »

Younger you must have really liked boxes.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31007 on: July 04, 2019, 07:28:30 pm »

Younger you must have really liked boxes.
METAL BAWKSES
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31008 on: July 04, 2019, 08:28:37 pm »

I don't exactly follow 'Murican politics very closely, but I have a question that y'all can perhaps clear up for me.
Everyone's seen that video of Biden leaning down and whispering to that young girl, right? With a supposedly "hot mic" that reveals him to something extremely perverse? Well, I watched some videos with "enhanced audio" that supposedly revealed exactly what he said, but my hearing is pretty bad and I couldn't really make it out, myself.
What do you think he actually said?       
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31009 on: July 04, 2019, 08:29:49 pm »

Hail Hydra
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #31010 on: July 04, 2019, 08:47:00 pm »

Hail Hydra

Maybe this Biden guy has good ideas. We should listen to him.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31011 on: July 04, 2019, 09:11:50 pm »

Hail Hydra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQkCH_C-7AM

EDIT: I went and looked up the video I think that was being spoken of. (A link would have been nice.) And as much as agree Biden can be a bit on the creepy uncle side, the video isn't really clear enough to make any judgements about. My gut opinion though? It feels faked. Something just off about it.

I'd link it myself, but the video I saw made my bullshit meter swing so far I don't even want to be involved in passing it around. searching for: biden hot mic, got it in the first result, though I feel dirty even giving that much of a direction to find it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:42:44 am by sluissa »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31012 on: July 06, 2019, 10:23:14 pm »

I think you all are forgetting that after CUJ whispered intimately to the girl, he kissed her on the side of her head.

It takes an asshole to do things like this, but it takes an arrogant asshole to feel safe doing this center stage on television.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31013 on: July 06, 2019, 11:19:45 pm »

"kissing babies" used to be (and still is to an extent) a cliche popularity enhancing strategy used by politicians. (you can find many lampooned instances of it in old loony toons cartoons even)

Kissing an older baby (eg, a toddler or young child) is just as creepy, but you dont see people freaking out about the "obvious sexual predation" done by such august contenders as Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Vladimir Putin, Adolf Hitler... (note, the inclusion of the last two is just to point out that this is not exclusively an American Thing (tm), and that it happens with politicians regardless of their platforms. Not to suggest that the former are like the latter ideologically, Thank you and good night.)

I think you get the idea.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:24:21 pm by wierd »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31014 on: July 07, 2019, 07:41:44 am »

I’m confused why kissing babies is a popularity enhancement.it seems odd to me that people would applaud at someone kissing a stranger’s child

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31015 on: July 07, 2019, 07:52:38 am »

Who the heck knows-- I think babies are disgusting germ factories, personally. I can't fathom why anyone would ever WANT to kiss one to begin with.

However, it's pretty much established that producing one causes permanent brain changes in parents which makes them vulnerable to the baby's incessant, and imperialist demands.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pregnancy-causes-lasting-changes-in-a-womans-brain/
https://www.livescience.com/46322-fatherhood-changes-brain.html

So, it could just be that politicians are leveraging the fact that a good portion of the population have had their brains scrambled by producing horrible spawn the planet doesn't really need, and using this to further their advantage politically.  That's my view anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31016 on: July 07, 2019, 08:23:29 am »

All I'm seeing is studies that show people who don't have children never fully develop their brains.

Which honestly explains why people who go on about how awful children always seem to be the extremely self-centered and childish ones - they must've stopped maturing some time before adulthood to begin with.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31017 on: July 07, 2019, 08:29:10 am »

Not so! They are statistically (and significantly) more likely to be happy than people who have children.

https://ascienceenthusiast.com/decades-research-shows-kids-makes-us-unhappy/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/08/11/the-most-depressing-statistic-imaginable-about-being-a-new-parent/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.da4695e9171d

More, I find that when people who have had their brains re-patterned by having children are presented with these forms of information, their reactions are denialist nonsense.  Really, there is a surprising amount of data on this. Children make people unhappy, but you dont notice, because you have been fundamentally reprogrammed not to notice.

(People that have not been reprogrammed-- We notice.  We notice how you turn into completely different people.)

(and more alarmingly, people that are emotionally swayed by images of powerful politicians kissing babies.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:39:24 am by wierd »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31018 on: July 07, 2019, 08:44:40 am »

Good grief...

The ethics pertaining to the having of children are pretty difficult.  I'm not averse to frank discussion of whether it's right or wrong to have them at all.

And I understand that children are themselves really difficult, often unpleasant to be around.  Borderline psychopathic assholes, even.

But it's also possible to be loving and affectionate towards them without brain damage.  It's pretty damn logical, even.

Presumably/hopefully it's the product of a loving relationship.  That can be enough for a decent parenting couple with no brain damage needed.  And a compassionate person will realize that it's not a child's fault that they were brought into the world, thus the people who produced them have entered themselves into an obligation to offer the kind of mental and emotional support and stimulation that will enable them to grow up into healthy, functioning adults, and the rest of the world besides has an enlightened interest in offering support to that for the sake of a stable society.

When I see someone speak of children so hatefully, it's hard for me to imagine that being separate from self-loathing and general misanthropy.  Because every human being is a work in progress throughout their lives until the day they die.  Childhood is just a stage.  One that nobody reaches adulthood without passing through.  It's necessary.  Not only physiologically.  All those temper tantrums are a step on the path to learning how not to temper tantrum.  Every demand for attention is a step on the path towards learning how to engage in healthy relationships as an adult.  And those steps never end.  A 30-year-old can seem just as self-obsessed and obnoxious to an elderly person as a 3 year-old seems to the 30-year-old.

I can understand having a personal preference to avoid being around children.  But I don't understand how one can hate children without hating themselves as being a product of the process of passing through childhood, or without lacking the perspective that they are still continuously going through that same process, such that they are likely still seen as a child by others. 

I'm 36.  I own a house.  I'm a leadership figure in my workplace, and had people report to me.  I have kids of my own.  And I still look to my parents for guidance.  I'm still regularly a pain in their ass, even.  I still have a lot of growing to do.  If I hated children enough to spit such vitriol about them, then I would be pretty short-sighted not to pro-actively hate myself now, knowing that my middle-aged or elderly self will not look back on my 36-year-old self with understanding.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:46:20 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31019 on: July 07, 2019, 08:49:50 am »

Denialist nonsense like, to quote your article, "The researchers are careful to stress that this evidence may be correlative, not causative"?

Because of course worrying about another human being that you love and are responsible for as well as having less time for yourself makes you less "happy". That really goes without saying - and bringing it up like it's somehow a huge deal shows that you are exactly the kind of immature and self-centered person I talked about above.

But it's also possible to be loving and affectionate towards them without brain damage.  It's pretty damn logical, even.

Presumably/hopefully it's the product of a loving relationship.

I'd bet you'd find similar "brain damage" happening to people who fall in love, even.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2066 2067 [2068] 2069 2070 ... 3515