Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2074 2075 [2076] 2077 2078 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3594585 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31125 on: July 10, 2019, 05:19:22 pm »

She’s telling her party it’s a good idea to not air its dirty laundry in public, in an election year.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31126 on: July 10, 2019, 05:25:34 pm »

Nevermind that doing so is the reason those progressives have such passionate support from their base in the first place.

You can frame it as airing dirty laundry.  Or you can frame it as the representative re-assuring their base that they still represent the principles they were voted in on when the party does something that appears to be in violation of those principles.  Anyone who neglects to care about providing such re-assurance doesn't look practical to me.  They look suspect.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31127 on: July 10, 2019, 05:41:27 pm »

I think that doing things that are in violation of their principles is suspicious, but that's just me.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31128 on: July 10, 2019, 05:55:26 pm »

Idunno...  This trite little diddy seems pretty apropos.  Both for the holdouts who voted against the measure, and with extreme irony, for Pelosi and Co.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #31129 on: July 10, 2019, 06:02:05 pm »

More news with Pelosi and social media.

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2019/07/10/pelosi-progressives-twitter-1405763

Apparently she's a fan of closed chambers discussion that leads nowhere instead of transparency. (You know. For unity.)
Old guard vs new guard, same as Republicans in 2016.  I'd say Pelosi is correct that AOC is intentionally making waves, as she (like Bernie) is trying shift the party's platform without consulting party leadership.

Where Pelosi is wrong is she doesn't understand who has the power here.  AOC has her supporters, who Pelosi wants the party to have on their side in 2020.  Meanwhile Pelosi has the ability to shut down legislation AOC cares about or not put her on committees.  Those just aren't powerful threats and even if she alienates the current congress, AOC has the option of literally outliving them.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31130 on: July 10, 2019, 10:26:47 pm »

Where Pelosi is wrong is she doesn't understand who has the power here.  AOC has her supporters, who Pelosi wants the party to have on their side in 2020.  Meanwhile Pelosi has the ability to shut down legislation AOC cares about or not put her on committees.  Those just aren't powerful threats and even if she alienates the current congress, AOC has the option of literally outliving them.

I think part of it is recognizing that AOC's progressives aren't on the Democrats' side; threats of what an unchecked Republican majority might do aren't persuasive when a Democratic majority will apparently let them do it anyway and oversight is apparently something Republicans have to volunteer for. All the 2018 blue wave really got us, apparently, was a series of patronizing lectures about how progressivism isn't politically significant and we don't deserve representation we're happy with. We can get that from the other guys, so at this point why not primary them all?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31131 on: July 11, 2019, 12:46:54 am »

My Dearest Martha,

I write to you today from Languardia. The Lobsterbacks fought well, but they were no match for our numbers or our drive. I must say, it's a fine thing to finally be inside the airport. For too long we were camping outdoors and walking by foot. The Redcoats still control the Cinnabon and Terminal C5, but at least we've captured the Starbucks. I have ordered a Mocha Frappuccino from the barmaid here, a lass named "Candi".

Of the soldiers, I have few complaints, save for one. A cadet by the name of Donald has been complaining of bone spurs. I fear we will never see him on the battlefield. It's probably well - if his dress was any more gaudy he would slow us down for all the gold he feels the need to carry.

We march soon for the baggage claim, but I hope to see you soon, my sweet. Make sure to have the Uber ready when I touch down in JFK, I do not wish to tarry on my way home to your embrace.

Lovingly yours, George.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31132 on: July 11, 2019, 12:57:04 am »

Hey, now, don't mock the revolutionary war airports. Think how much worse Bowling Green would have been if the militia had to walk there.

After all, "Never in pre-Trump history has so much been owed by so many to so few. #MAGA #SpaceForce" - Abraham Lincoln, Jesus, and Ronald Reagan
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:05:05 am by Trekkin »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31133 on: July 11, 2019, 06:05:45 am »

threats of what an unchecked Republican majority might do aren't persuasive when a Democratic majority will apparently let them do it anyway and oversight is apparently something Republicans have to volunteer for. All the 2018 blue wave really got us, apparently, was a series of patronizing lectures about how progressivism isn't politically significant and we don't deserve representation we're happy with. We can get that from the other guys, so at this point why not primary them all?

YES THANK YOU
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31134 on: July 11, 2019, 06:03:27 pm »

She’s telling her party it’s a good idea to not air its dirty laundry in public, in an election year.

Just a reminder. Dezpite all evidence to the contrary, it is not yet an election  year yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31135 on: July 11, 2019, 06:14:55 pm »

Oh hey. Trump's given up on the census thing, apparently. Got his shit pushed in so hard he's trying to spin doing what was recommended over a year ago as some kind of victory. Good-ish news, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #31136 on: July 11, 2019, 07:15:47 pm »

Uh...

Just saw a Facebook ad from Trump, on his website, to see if I approve of him.

The ad says I’m one of his top supporters, despite, you know, actually thinking the best word to describe him is awful.

I expect in a few days to see him say his approval numbers are through the roof, best numbers ever, nobody has as high numbers as him etc.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31137 on: July 11, 2019, 07:18:05 pm »

Maybe he put his numbers inside a rocket? He might have an argument then, assuming no other President put his numbers in a rocket with a higher apogee.

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #31138 on: July 11, 2019, 07:36:52 pm »

'Donald Trump injects numbers with crack cocaine, says numbers "higher than ever". Mike Pence denies comment'

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31139 on: July 11, 2019, 11:39:47 pm »

'Donald Trump injects numbers with crack cocaine, says numbers "higher than ever". Mike Pence denies comment'

*then Mike Pence gets injected with crack cocaine and gets swirly eyes*
Pages: 1 ... 2074 2075 [2076] 2077 2078 ... 3515