Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2086 2087 [2088] 2089 2090 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3535148 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31305 on: July 25, 2019, 01:30:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

+1 to everything you just said.
+1 agreed. I hope we elect people who will actually fix these problems

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31306 on: July 25, 2019, 01:48:01 pm »

I realize I'm a little late here, but....

The basic issue right now is that people will go to college regardless of what college costs.
In the US, this also applies to health care, cars, housing... for some reason in the US we have this underlying culture of "I'm going to do it anyway, I don't care what it costs, because I want it."

In the US, this also applies to health care... for some reason in the US we have this underlying culture of "I'm going to do it anyway, I don't care what it costs, because I want it."

Talk about a cultural problem.  When people are seen as entitled for not just dying when survival is expensive.  Makes it kinda hard to take you seriously on the rest of the stuff you say.  Like if you'd just said cars and housing... those are necessities, too (yeah cars definitely are in many places in order to hold down a job), but I could interpret generously and assume you mean that people buy more expensive cars and houses than they need to.  Ok.  But then you throw healthcare in with those.  And I think.... maybe that's not what you meant.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31307 on: July 25, 2019, 02:08:27 pm »

Concerning the status of modern adults who are the product of the kinds of failures I mentioned, who seek desperately to improve their situations outside of highschool (and often cannot), and the kinds of challenges they face in the modern world and workforce, this video is pretty damned telling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N8EYkepuqQ

The alarming fact is that many of the people in the demographic that are in such dire and extreme need for adult remedial education to meet basic competencies like this, GRADUATED HIGHSCHOOL.

This is why employers do not honor a highschool diploma as evidence of meeting those competencies.

Orange shitler wants to CUT such remedial adult education budgets by 25%.

Please do not re-elect him.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31308 on: July 25, 2019, 02:21:04 pm »

I didn’t know that tthere were adults who haven’t learned reading, writing or basic math, I didn’t know that public schools didn’t make sure people learned what was needed. These programs are needed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31309 on: July 25, 2019, 02:23:17 pm »

It's 8 percent of the adult population.

More if you count "insufficient competency" rather than complete illiteracy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/11/01/hiding-in-plain-sight-the-adult-literacy-crisis/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f4dd61d8bf15

Then it's over 20%.

It's fucking UNREAL.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:27:03 pm by wierd »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31310 on: July 25, 2019, 02:26:01 pm »

It's 8 percent of the adult population.
That’s too much. I didn’t know it was that many

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31311 on: July 25, 2019, 02:30:15 pm »

Quote from: From WaPo article
The situation is just as worrisome at a national level. Approximately 32 million adults in the United States can’t read, according to the U.S. Department of Education and the National Institute of Literacy. The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development found that 50 percent of U.S. adults can’t read a book written at an eighth-grade level.

I am deadpan serious that the issue is with our public school system, and the perverse incentives at work within it to hide failures to gain competencies, and just push kids through the system instead. I saw it when I was in school, first hand. Kids in highschool that could not read a dick and jane level book.  Seniors.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31312 on: July 25, 2019, 02:36:42 pm »

This is really bad. I thought the point of school was to teach. You are right. The public school system needs fixed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31313 on: July 25, 2019, 02:44:50 pm »

I feel obligated to point out there's a lot of very convincing speculation that Trump can't read.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31314 on: July 25, 2019, 02:46:19 pm »

<McTraveller is struck in the head by the illiteracy fact and is knocked over!>

Ok now I'm sad I'm out of alcohol.  I can't even keep musing about economic theory with that kind of crap happening.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31315 on: July 25, 2019, 02:47:41 pm »

The point of school IS to teach.  It is to prepare the children of our country to be ready and able adults.

The problem, is that there is a certain political party that seems to feel that CUTTING FUNDING to schools with underperforming students is a "GREAT MOTIVATOR!" for that school to do better.

Because somehow, a teacher is supposed to teach a student with extra, remedial needs--- On less pay--- And be motivated to do so.

What really happens?  Schools that are already barely functioning, and serving communities of disadvantaged children who are significantly more likely to require such remedial education assistance, will instead do everything possible to HIDE that their students have learning deficits, and pass them through with those deficits.

In fact, they are so in love with cutting school funding to give tax breaks to big companies, that it's almost a cliche.

Step one in fixing this is to kick all those wrinkled old GOP asshats so far to the curb that they get roadrash on the way out, then keep them out, and far away from education.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:16:20 pm by wierd »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31316 on: July 25, 2019, 03:16:10 pm »

In lighter news than the failure of our educational system to perform some basic tasks... Trump gave a speech and on the backdrop there was a projected seal of the president, except it was doubled headed like a russian seal eagle, had sickle and hammers instead of stars on the flag, one claw held a bunch of dollars, the other had a set of golf clubs, and the scroll above it read "45 Es Un Titere" which is "45 is a puppet" in spanish.

One of the aides was fired for putting it up, I think they deserve a goddamn award.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31317 on: July 25, 2019, 03:20:27 pm »

*snicker*

That IS funny.  I would have been more inclined to make a snide quip in latin though.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31318 on: July 25, 2019, 03:21:48 pm »

That is glorious.  The quality of the art piece is top tier on its own.  Getting the president to stand in front of it and give a speech is legendary.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31319 on: July 25, 2019, 03:23:38 pm »

*snicker*

That IS funny.  I would have been more inclined to make a snide quip in latin though.
But there's some chance a Trump loyalist could actually read latin.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 2086 2087 [2088] 2089 2090 ... 3511