Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2087 2088 [2089] 2090 2091 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3587974 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31320 on: July 25, 2019, 03:34:43 pm »

The guy who created the logo (which has been around for awhile) says he picked every element to be as petty a jibe at Trump as possible, to highlight Trump's own pettiness. Insulting him in Spanish falls into that category.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31321 on: July 25, 2019, 04:26:06 pm »

The two headed eagle ould also be HRE, but in context it's definetly a reference to Russia.

You'd think they would have a standard image ready to go, but apparently it was a last minute thing, like almost literally last minute, I think I read they had like five minutes to get it up. Either way, absolute fail on their A/V department.

It's also funny that Trump didn't even notice, though I suppose he'd have to turn around first.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31322 on: July 25, 2019, 04:39:16 pm »

*snicker*

That IS funny.  I would have been more inclined to make a snide quip in latin though.

Latin's sort of become the go-to language for people trying to look generically intelligent, though. Much like playing chess, wearing glasses, and overusing "rather", spurious Latin is such a common way to present people as smart in media, and therefore so overused, that now more commonly connotes active attempts to invoke that image. It's the smart-guy equivalent to guys driving stupidly enormous/expensive trucks, in that there's no level of irony where it's complimentary. There's always a risk that satire says more about you than your target, and given Trump's idiocy, Latin would probably cross that line.

Spanish makes sense here for obvious reasons, and it's not like them not being able to tell Latin from Spanish is any funnier than not knowing what goes on the seal in the first place.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31323 on: July 25, 2019, 04:55:49 pm »

No question, spanish is much more hilarious.  I am just being honest that I would have been more inclined to use snide latin wordplay instead, simply because of the contrite overuse of latin that you cite; Every damn national seal has some hogwash written in latin to make it look important and stuffy. I would have written something like "I have a mushroom for a penis" in latin, but I would have had to use latin slang, since penis is a latin word, and would have been caught.

Perhaps "From my mouth, shit is expelled" or something.

I do agree, Spanish is very apropos.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31324 on: July 25, 2019, 05:02:49 pm »

No need to invent anything when we have pecunia non olet. It'd fit right in.

I'd like to think I've just become generically intelligent.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31326 on: July 26, 2019, 01:05:59 am »

(it extends to the president of the USA level)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31327 on: July 26, 2019, 01:31:36 am »

(it extends to the president of the USA level)
Alegibly.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31329 on: July 26, 2019, 06:50:42 pm »

Supreme Court gives Trump $2.5b wall monies.

Democrats declare Impeachment Investigation underway.
He’s probably not going to get much done which is god

It’s about time they start holding him accountable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31330 on: July 26, 2019, 07:00:16 pm »

hey remember when you all cared about the people being murdered in concentration camps
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31331 on: July 26, 2019, 07:20:08 pm »

hey remember when you all cared about the people being murdered in concentration camps
I still care, and I think it’s horrible. Which is why I’m glad the impeachment process is being started, and I hope the next president and Congress will stop these concentration camps.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31332 on: July 26, 2019, 08:01:54 pm »

Not likely.  Most republicans will do a better job of getting media attention away from it, but keep it going as it is.  Most democrats will improve the humanity of conditions on a surface level, but only as much as necessary to make a for-profit industry based on racism, political persecution, and ruination of families seem more palatable to those not directly effected by it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31333 on: July 27, 2019, 12:52:51 am »

Not likely.  Most republicans will do a better job of getting media attention away from it, but keep it going as it is.  Most democrats will improve the humanity of conditions on a surface level, but only as much as necessary to make a for-profit industry based on racism, political persecution, and ruination of families seem more palatable to those not directly effected by it.

That's right, because we shouldn't forget that some pictures of inhumane conditions in the camps which were being touted as proof of the cruelty turned out to actually predate Trump. Trump's a symptom, he's not the root cause of the disease. Y'all would be kidding yourselves if thinking that merely removing Trump would turn everything in the USA into roses and sunshine. Impeaching Trump is a start however it's nowhere near an end-game slam dunk.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 12:59:46 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31334 on: July 27, 2019, 05:43:51 am »

House Seeks Mueller’s Grand Jury Secrets

The basis for a thrilling swashbuckling adventure movie?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2087 2088 [2089] 2090 2091 ... 3514