Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2109 2110 [2111] 2112 2113 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3534867 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #31650 on: August 16, 2019, 01:36:22 pm »

Do people who are trying to get rid of gender labels not realize that forcing people to not use labels is still forcing labels on them?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31651 on: August 16, 2019, 01:43:43 pm »

Technically speaking, saying that there are 2 genders is non-binary.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31652 on: August 16, 2019, 01:51:13 pm »

Do people who are trying to get rid of gender labels not realize that forcing people to not use labels is still forcing labels on them?

I'd say a related but bigger problem is that identity politics inherently labels people based on things that are fundamentally unimportant. With traditional liberalism, if you have a black astronaut, he's an astronaut first, and the black thing is incidental. With the identity politics viewpoint, you shove the "blackness" aspect right front and center, and the fact that the guy is an astronaut is almost a footnote.

This causes a lot of problems when you force people to "represent groups" instead of standing as individuals. Seriously, if you drum it into black people for example that they are inherently part of the "black identity group" and the whole world is against them, what sort of impact d'ya reckon that has on their potential? Not necessarily good.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:54:39 pm by Reelya »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #31653 on: August 16, 2019, 02:07:51 pm »

This is in reference to what?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31654 on: August 16, 2019, 03:33:46 pm »

I don't think I've seen anyone who wants to abolish gender labels entirely. The usual spiel goes "Abolish gender roles, respect gender identity" which is cool. It's like... you want to be housewife-ey, you do that, but whether you want to or not it shouldn't be an assumption/pressure/enforcement that that's what you'd be. Also that you shouldn't be pressured *away* from housewife-ey stuff just because your gender or presentation doesn't match the stereotype. Then echo that across all the other gender role restrictions like dolls vs action figures, doctor vs nurse, etc. It's a call to value people as individuals and as people, without requiring them to first abide by some kind of cultural cheat sheet for your benefit.

And, hm. I suppose you might be referring to requests to not gender people automatically, especially defaulting to male for every online stranger? That doesn't abolish much, since the point is to not step on the toes of the labels people *actually* use...

Yeah, though. enforcing a universal agender presentation on everyone would be a big dumbdumb move from someone who (probably?) hasn't done much reading on the subject and doesn't know what they're talking about. People who don't have a gender are perfectly valid and all, but lots of people do have a gender and they'd be very displeased with that situation. I don't think it's a common enough viewpoint to worry about, though.

Gosh I hope this argument is in good faith.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31655 on: August 16, 2019, 03:35:36 pm »

Quote from: Donald Trump
You have no choice but to vote for me...Whether you love me or hate me, you’ve got to vote for me.

Trump's 2020 campaign motto doesn't quite have the same ring as 'Make America Great Again'.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31656 on: August 16, 2019, 03:37:28 pm »

That's his actual campaign slogan? Sounds like the kind of shit a serial killer taking you hostage would say.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #31657 on: August 16, 2019, 04:12:17 pm »

Not his actual slogan...I was just joking. It is however an actual, if slightly clipped, quote from his recent campaign rally.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31658 on: August 16, 2019, 04:19:55 pm »

Quote from: Donald Trump
You have no choice but to vote for me...Whether you love me or hate me, you’ve got to vote for me.

Trump's 2020 campaign motto doesn't quite have the same ring as 'Make America Great Again'.
Well yeah, he already made America Great Again (our would've if not for them dastardly liberals!), so he gotta go with something else.

/s if not obvious.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31659 on: August 16, 2019, 04:55:05 pm »

This is in reference to what?
I have to go so I can't have more details, but someone wanted to abolish "he" and "she".
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31660 on: August 16, 2019, 06:05:48 pm »

Uh... who? Friend? Politician?

S O M E O N E
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31661 on: August 16, 2019, 06:14:03 pm »

I saw a lot of stuff twisted into that the last few years. Gender roles are fine as long as they are forced upon noone. We have no need whatsoever for that in our society.

You can see a bunch of stuff on that he/she thing just by googling "eliminate he and she".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #31662 on: August 16, 2019, 06:23:13 pm »

I can also find a lot of furries just by googling "furries." That doesn't make it relevant to the political discussion.

Gonna be honest, I'm regretting starting anything because it right now just looks like low-effort trolling.

Going back to actual issues, we need to have a system to prevent human beings from being made obsolete as automation becomes more sophisticated. I don't mean the guy who screws caps onto toothpaste tubes, I mean the plurality of American workers who drive trucks. Or the first ten years of white-collar careers when they're doing tedious and unspecialized stuff until they get enough experience to be a knowledge worker. Or doctors, lawyers, and other specialized technicians.+
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31663 on: August 16, 2019, 06:35:36 pm »

I mean, people can start new conversations on new topics if they want to, but ok.

That's a complicated subject, and I've seen lots of opinions. What jobs are likeliest to become more automated? Would it also generate jobs? Certainly the point of automation is to remove blue collar jobs and replace them with more efficient and safer options.

I think the danger is that blue collar workers would find themselves without the means to be trained for new positions. For a simple and broad example, lets say 100 trucking jobs are taken over by robo-drivers. A certain number of jobs regarding maintenance and management of those robo trucks would also be created, not to mention new design jobs for improvements. Maybe a federal program that offers rebates or subsidization to ensure those blue collar folks can be trained in new jobs?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31664 on: August 16, 2019, 06:40:35 pm »

I can also find a lot of furries just by googling "furries." That doesn't make it relevant to the political discussion.

Gonna be honest, I'm regretting starting anything because it right now just looks like low-effort trolling.

Going back to actual issues, we need to have a system to prevent human beings from being made obsolete as automation becomes more sophisticated. I don't mean the guy who screws caps onto toothpaste tubes, I mean the plurality of American workers who drive trucks. Or the first ten years of white-collar careers when they're doing tedious and unspecialized stuff until they get enough experience to be a knowledge worker. Or doctors, lawyers, and other specialized technicians.+
Yes, Im not saying these are likely or possible right now, but in the future we could either find jobs that AI cannot do, which I think is unlikely, or, we could learn how to add our minds to the Internet/AI, which may also[/] be unlikely
These are just thiughts
Pages: 1 ... 2109 2110 [2111] 2112 2113 ... 3511