Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2138 2139 [2140] 2141 2142 ... 3514

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3588815 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32085 on: September 04, 2019, 10:29:47 pm »

I’m sure the cops would prefer that nobody have guns, no matter what electromagnetic wavelength you are.

Not so much. When Colorado pushed a capacity ban through, every police organization in the state outside of Denver explicitly condemned it and openly stated "buy whatever you like, none of us will enforce that garbage". Meanwhile the only reason that most of California's laws get police endorsement is because current and former police are explicitly immune to them.

While the FOP and a few other such organizations endorse restrictions, support among rank-and-file officers is usually lower than the general population outside of places like New York, with the caveat that there are not that many polls separating police from the general population.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32086 on: September 04, 2019, 10:36:35 pm »

So, uh, was the cookie in the mouth from the start of the trade in the first place? Because you don’t specify what happens to the cookie and I’m not sure if the candy bar or the cookie or both are supposed to be in the mouth.

Also, in the extension of the metaphor, am I supposed to imagine him eating the gun as well because that’s what you have him doing with the cookie/candy bar which... leads to a rather odd mental image.... and I don’t think you intended to invoke that mental image.

It was not. The idea was that, having gotten through the pretense, he's just going to start eating one or the other.

And no, you're supposed to imagine him extorting all the candy at gunpoint, in the same spirit of liking fairness in principle but liking candy more in practice. Good point, though. That image was...not my intention.

Yea, you didn’t specify it being in hand and given the cookie or whatever went in mouth, I assumed the situation was the same, which led my brain to go that tangent since the lack of specific just sort of led there. Don’t know if others would assume the same setup, but it was just me logicking it or something, heh.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32087 on: September 05, 2019, 03:39:50 am »

Pretty sure the gun is in its mouth, the kid stuck the candy bar up its nose & you don't really want to know where the cookie has gone.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32088 on: September 05, 2019, 07:43:26 am »

you don't really want to know where the cookie has gone.
It shall live eternal; shiny in Chrome.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32089 on: September 05, 2019, 09:20:37 am »

Personally, I can hardly wait for that dead wood of political rhetoric to finally decay into the spongy mass it is, and completely fall apart.

(The so called "3 legged stool" the article cites, that is.)

I would love for the GOP to go the way of the Whig party and co.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32090 on: September 05, 2019, 10:06:01 am »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32091 on: September 05, 2019, 03:06:22 pm »

I don't even
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-news-live-hurricane-dorian-map-alabama-tweets-today-pence-uk-visit-a9092556.html

Donald Trump has lashed out after being roundly mocked once again for posing in the Oval Office with a map of Hurricane Dorian that had been altered to include Alabama in the storm’s path, therein backing up one of the president’s weekend tweets contested by government meteorologists.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32092 on: September 05, 2019, 03:22:01 pm »

Why don't you even? This is not even the new normal - this is the same old normal.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32093 on: September 05, 2019, 07:26:01 pm »

In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32094 on: September 05, 2019, 07:35:58 pm »

I'm not convinced by the argument "don't pay attention to smaller crazy shit Trump does, that's just the new normal - focus on the worse things he does". If we let the little things slide as the new normal, this doesn't in fact highlight the worse things, it normalizes them too.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32095 on: September 05, 2019, 07:37:45 pm »

I'm not convinced by the argument "don't pay attention to smaller crazy shit Trump does, that's just the new normal - focus on the worse things he does". If we let the little things slide as the new normal, this doesn't in fact highlight the worse things, it normalizes them too.
I don't think that's the argument there. I think it's more that we shouldn't let the daily bullshit obscure the terrible shit he does.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32096 on: September 05, 2019, 09:41:24 pm »

I don't think that's the argument there. I think it's more that we shouldn't let the daily bullshit obscure the terrible shit he does.

Yes, this. The rich would very much like you to focus on Trump's stupidity, insanity, and vulgarity, to treat him as the weird billionaire who doesn't act like all the other billionaires in the hope that we will fail to notice that he differs from the norm chiefly by being a worse liar. On policy, he is a perfectly normal Republican, and the Republicans do not want everyone to take note of that.

See, the only real difference between Donald Trump and Elon Musk is that Trump would eat your liver well-done with ketchup and Musk would live-stream cooking it with a flamethrower. Trump is no more cruel or evil than any other billionaire, his leadership no more disastrous for everyone else. In order for one person to accrue a billion dollars, it is necessary for them to be like Trump in every way that really matters: a greedy, venal sociopath.

The new normal is just the old normal with the gilding rubbed away.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #32097 on: September 05, 2019, 09:43:10 pm »

It's incredible how you now have to come up with meta analysis to explain your president's daily fuckups in any meaningful way, as it's too numerous and statistical analysis starts yielding results.
In a time before time, I had a name.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32098 on: September 06, 2019, 05:24:49 am »

One main difference is that accusations like that can get a little bit "one person's word against another's". Which, without other corroborating evidence, will inevitably, and not without cause, split people's opinions on the subject.

On the other hand, the weather map is one of those rare cases where Trump just flat out lies, and holds up proof of the lie right next to him, and then doubles down on the lie again.

He lies all the time. He lies A LOT.

But usually there's distance between the lie and the evidence. The sort of thing someone has to do at least a minimal amount of research on. This hurricane incident just tells the story itself.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32099 on: September 06, 2019, 06:02:35 am »

The main bit that got me was the lack of effort. The change was written on in black, and there was a black sharpie right on the desk apparently. It smack of Monty Python's fish license sketch, where the guy has a cat license which is just a dog license with "cat" written over the word dog in crayon. That's the level y'all are at now. They write new words on with crayon.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 06:04:33 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2138 2139 [2140] 2141 2142 ... 3514