Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2168 2169 [2170] 2171 2172 ... 3511

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3532911 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32535 on: September 30, 2019, 01:47:34 pm »

It's been a good day so far. The GOP is smelling blood in the water, and there's an awful lot of people in different fields who rode the Trump wave to the top (leaving behind all of their disgruntled colleagues who weren't pro Trump). People who are turning up the bluster and spin to eleven now that they've realized it's their ass on the line. News anchors, rnc chairs, congressmen, dignitaries; if this impeachment goes through, there's gonna be a good old fashioned night of long knives in the Republican party and their sattelite organizations.

Edit: also, Narc thornberry announced he's not running for the election, making him the sixth Texan and the fifteenth gop congressman to do so ahead of 2020, in case you wanted some proof.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst where Trump suffers no consequences and wins reelection in 2020 on a resurgence of misplaced revenge voting.

Maybe I'm just blind or jaded, but I don't see a path forward where a Republican controlled senate convicts Trump.

Spoiler: Mini Rant (click to show/hide)
What? How does knowing the effects of burning fossil fuels translate to believing trees and the wind have souls?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32536 on: September 30, 2019, 01:51:10 pm »

Lots of people use religion to justify their purposeful and deliberate ignorance of things that make them uncomfortable to think about.

As someone who is religious, I can confirm this in case any of you were unsure at this point /s. They basically join a church as a safe space for their often-horrible preconceptions. They could care less about whether God exists so long as they get to feel emotionally comfortable. And because they ostensibly invoke a higher power, they don't have to worry about taking responsibility for the results (in their own minds).

EDIT:
Dammit I'm sorry here I am turning this into another excerpt from a religion thread. Let's keep talking about impeachment?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32537 on: September 30, 2019, 01:54:02 pm »

What? How does knowing the effects of burning fossil fuels translate to believing trees and the wind have souls?
Step one is not knowing what the hell an animist actually is. Or climate change, I guess.

There's not really a step two, there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32538 on: September 30, 2019, 01:57:48 pm »

Step one is not knowing what the hell an animist actually is. Or climate change, I guess.

There's not really a step two, there.

+1.

Or +0, topically.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32539 on: September 30, 2019, 01:59:08 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I spoilered that because I know people have to be getting sick of me making remarks like that and dragging this back in a religious direction, but the point I was trying to make is that a disastrously large portion of this country is willing to believe anything if it makes them feel right or safe.  The anti intellectualism in this country is unbelievable to the point that people say things like that and make me wonder if everyone had a stroke and didn't realize it.

But no, it's just because people are terrible and I'm losing my ability to deal with it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32540 on: September 30, 2019, 02:04:42 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I spoilered that because I know people have to be getting sick of me making remarks like that and dragging this back in a religious direction, but the point I was trying to make is that a disastrously large portion of this country is willing to believe anything if it makes them feel right or safe.  The anti intellectualism in this country is unbelievable to the point that people say things like that and make me wonder if everyone had a stroke and didn't realize it.

But no, it's just because people are terrible and I'm losing my ability to deal with it.
I agree. It is unfortunate that people willingly believe false things because it makes them feel better. There are some people who will ask me why we need to know how chemical bonds work, or why we need to know what atoms are made of.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32541 on: September 30, 2019, 02:08:57 pm »

Lots of people use religion to justify their purposeful and deliberate ignorance of things that make them uncomfortable to think about.

As someone who is religious, I can confirm this in case any of you were unsure at this point /s. They basically join a church as a safe space for their often-horrible preconceptions. They could care less about whether God exists so long as they get to feel emotionally comfortable. And because they ostensibly invoke a higher power, they don't have to worry about taking responsibility for the results (in their own minds).

EDIT:
Dammit I'm sorry here I am turning this into another excerpt from a religion thread. Let's keep talking about impeachment?

Weeelllll, it's certainly relevant to Evangelicals and Trump since they think he's their 'savior' when he's hardly what one would imagine a wise savior to be (granted, YMMV, but still).

It's been a good day so far. The GOP is smelling blood in the water, and there's an awful lot of people in different fields who rode the Trump wave to the top (leaving behind all of their disgruntled colleagues who weren't pro Trump). People who are turning up the bluster and spin to eleven now that they've realized it's their ass on the line. News anchors, rnc chairs, congressmen, dignitaries; if this impeachment goes through, there's gonna be a good old fashioned night of long knives in the Republican party and their sattelite organizations.

Edit: also, Narc thornberry announced he's not running for the election, making him the sixth Texan and the fifteenth gop congressman to do so ahead of 2020, in case you wanted some proof.

Looks like spellcheck turned Mac into Narc. Anyways, I think his seat might be a safe seat since he won re-election last year with like 80% of votes. Might be a mix of safe seat plus being generally popular, dunno.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32542 on: September 30, 2019, 02:16:45 pm »

Related.

That is a wonderful, informative article. Also, I've experienced basically every word of it. When I was growing up, Evangelical as a term separate from the movement itself was used to very simply describe someone who wanted to actively spread Christianity. Now it means white people who vote republican and pray to ancient televangelists.

I agree. It is unfortunate that people willingly believe false things because it makes them feel better. There are some people who will ask me why we need to know how chemical bonds work, or why we need to know what atoms are made of.

Now, to be fair, I forgot basically all of the specific mechanics of that after high school. Conversely, a basic understanding of those principles is how one avoids, say, being told that heating your olive oil in a pan literally makes it rotten and you need to buy 18$ bottles of organic super oil or die from cooking your food.

I have a family member that believes this.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32543 on: September 30, 2019, 03:43:52 pm »

And now Australia is involved, not in the election portion, but in trying to get dirt on Mueller:

https://thehill.com/policy/international/asia-pacific/463709-trump-asked-australian-leader-to-help-look-into-mueller

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2019/sep/30/donald-trump-news-today-live-impeachment-ukraine-whistleblower-latest-updates?page=with:block-5d92651a8f084ab84173014f#block-5d92651a8f084ab84173014f

It's originally on NYT, but now they think it's cool to block private views as well. :P

Edit: Apparently AG Barr not only knew of this, but was the one who asked Trump to do it. Also, confirmed. There might not neccesarily be anything wrong with that specific incident since the DoJ works with counterparts all the time, but it does set up a pattern.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:56:04 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32544 on: September 30, 2019, 05:28:23 pm »

NYT thinks it's cool to block, but they still haven't figured out how to stop you from ctrl-a, ctrl-c before their nag popup pops up, for what it's worth. Some websites have actually figured that trick out, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32545 on: September 30, 2019, 08:19:14 pm »

NYT thinks it's cool to block, but they still haven't figured out how to stop you from ctrl-a, ctrl-c before their nag popup pops up, for what it's worth. Some websites have actually figured that trick out, heh.

I didn't even know about that trick.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32546 on: October 01, 2019, 05:16:37 am »

Conversely, a basic understanding of those principles is how one avoids, say, being told that heating your olive oil in a pan literally makes it rotten and you need to buy 18$ bottles of organic super oil or die from cooking your food.

I have a family member that believes this.

Fucking nobody understands oil smoking points. It's true that olive oil has one of the lowest, but so long as you're not deep frying anything, most mid-high heat cooking is perfectly fine.

And if not, sunflower/safflower/canola all have much higher smoking points, as does coconut if you wanna get expensive (but tasty).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32547 on: October 01, 2019, 06:14:01 am »

sunflower/safflower/canola (...) coconut
No. Lard4Life. Team Lard. #LoveLard

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32548 on: October 01, 2019, 06:44:06 am »

Related.

That is a wonderful, informative article. Also, I've experienced basically every word of it. When I was growing up, Evangelical as a term separate from the movement itself was used to very simply describe someone who wanted to actively spread Christianity. Now it means white people who vote republican and pray to ancient televangelists.

What's happened to the term evangelical according to the article seems similar to what's happened to terms like communism.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32549 on: October 01, 2019, 06:50:48 am »

Related.

What's happened to the term evangelical according to the article seems similar to what's happened to terms like communism.
Yes, propaganda has a habit of warping words to where they men nothing
Pages: 1 ... 2168 2169 [2170] 2171 2172 ... 3511