Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2178 2179 [2180] 2181 2182 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592524 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32685 on: October 08, 2019, 10:27:23 am »

Well I don't see a way to do that without going to war with Turkey if they were gonna do what they did even if US troops stayed. Then its another stupid middle east war like bush got us into. Don't need more stupid wars. Its a major reason why I hate the republican party so much, they always want wars as the answer to everything. I hope the democrat party never turns to that. Stupid wars.
Let's check the votes for getting into the Syrian conflict, shall we? In every count there are more Democrats than Republicans in favor of war. Sadly, going to war is a matter of policy in Washington.

I just don't see a good outcome to going to war with turkey, which could easily lead to a major world conflict. And I don't see what could been done different without risking a military conflict with turkey.
This is further complicated by the fact that Turkey is a NATO ally. We're obliged to defend them if someone invades them.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:31:27 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32686 on: October 08, 2019, 10:35:12 am »

I guess maybe Trump thought China would be as subservient/desperate as Ukraine was.
Was it, though? From what I gathered they're pissed they're being dragged into US politics, and are jumping through hoops to remain uncommitted without outright telling Trump to fuck off.

They certainly aren't desperate for military aid like Ukraine was. They want the trade war to end, yes, but they aren't so desperate as to be willing to jump into the metaphorical buzzsaw, which is the point I was making.

Well I don't see a way to do that without going to war with Turkey if they were gonna do what they did even if US troops stayed. Then its another stupid middle east war like bush got us into. Don't need more stupid wars. Its a major reason why I hate the republican party so much, they always want wars as the answer to everything. I hope the democrat party never turns to that. Stupid wars.
Let's check the votes for getting into the Syrian conflict, shall we? In every count there are more Democrats than Republicans in favor of war. Sadly, going to war is a matter of policy in Washington.

I just don't see a good outcome to going to war with turkey, which could easily lead to a major world conflict. And I don't see what could been done different without risking a military conflict with turkey.
This is further complicated by the fact that Turkey is a NATO ally. We're obliged to defend them if someone invades them.

Such is the multilayered complexity that is Syria....

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32687 on: October 08, 2019, 12:11:25 pm »

Sort of tangentially - WTF is it with all these US companies all of a sudden firing / banning people when China doesn't like it when those people state an opinion about Hong Kong?

:o

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32688 on: October 08, 2019, 12:13:14 pm »

Sort of tangentially - WTF is it with all these US companies all of a sudden firing / banning people when China doesn't like it when those people state an opinion about Hong Kong?

:o
Well, if they don't do it then China censors the company. Which costs them lots of $.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32689 on: October 08, 2019, 12:15:59 pm »

More or less. Trying to make in roads with one of the largest (and growing) markets on the planet can effect your decision making.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32690 on: October 08, 2019, 12:22:46 pm »

Oh yeah I know the proximal reason, it was mostly rhetorical.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32691 on: October 08, 2019, 12:25:28 pm »

Not so rhetorical: I really do wonder if we'll ever get back to the day when people will stand up for things despite the cost.  Or what that tipping point will eventually be.  What will one of these nations (or corporations, increasingly) have to do to actually result in physical response?

I wonder this too. I think everyone is waiting for a group to start it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32692 on: October 08, 2019, 12:26:08 pm »

Not so rhetorical: I really do wonder if we'll ever get back to the day when people will stand up for things despite the cost.  Or what that tipping point will eventually be.  What will one of these nations (or corporations, increasingly) have to do to actually result in physical response?

America never really did that, though.

We had to be literally forced into joining WW2.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32693 on: October 08, 2019, 12:32:11 pm »

Coincidentally it also didn't cover any of the West's at the time favoured practices like (by Reelya mentioned) forced re-childening and language suppression.

Language suppression of indengenous peoples in particular too. Not surprising that they left out the 'cultural genocide' portion of it.

It's not even just indigenous peoples (extrapolating that to colonial ones) -- that's the kind of thing western Europeans loved to do to other European minorities. See for example Franco's Spain and it's anti-Basque and anti-Catalan Castillisation policies and Sweden's swedification methods against the Sami. France is infamous for it's treatment of the non-French nations within it's borders too, the Bretons, Basque, Catalan, Occitan and whatever other minorities I'm forgetting about.

edit: name mixup fixed!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:41:33 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32694 on: October 08, 2019, 12:40:36 pm »

Coincidentally it also didn't cover any of the West's at the time favoured practices like (by Reelya mentioned) forced re-childening and language suppression.

Language suppression of indengenous peoples in particular too. Not surprising that they left out the 'cultural genocide' portion of it.

It's not even just indigenous peoples (extrapolating that to colonial ones) -- that's the kind of thing western Europeans loved to do to other European minorities. See for example Castro's Spain and it's anti-Basque and anti-Catalan Castillisation policies and Sweden's swedification methods against the Sami. France is infamous for it's treatment of the non-French nations within it's borders too, the Bretons, Basque, Catalan, Occitan and whatever other minorities I'm forgetting about.
I think you mean General Franco of Spain.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32695 on: October 08, 2019, 12:42:50 pm »

They exist, they just make less money, so they're smaller.

America never really did that, though.

We had to be literally forced into joining WW2.

It's confusing to choose a side! One side is our allies, and the other side wants to build prison camps and use nationalism and a pro-corporate government to create a plutocracy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32696 on: October 08, 2019, 12:44:12 pm »

It's not even just indigenous peoples (extrapolating that to colonial ones) -- that's the kind of thing western Europeans loved to do to other European minorities. See for example Castro's Spain and it's anti-Basque and anti-Catalan Castillisation policies and Sweden's swedification methods against the Sami. France is infamous for it's treatment of the non-French nations within it's borders too, the Bretons, Basque, Catalan, Occitan and whatever other minorities I'm forgetting about.
I think you mean General Franco of Spain.

I don't know why I so often misremember that name...
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32697 on: October 08, 2019, 12:45:16 pm »

On the one hand, we have a morally correct choice. On the other hand, we have personal profit, and that hand just sold the other one at a 450% markup. Good to go.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32698 on: October 08, 2019, 12:49:19 pm »

On the one hand, we have a morally correct choice. On the other hand, we have personal profit, and that hand just sold the other one at a 450% markup. Good to go.
Morals won't buy the investors another diamond pony, and that's terrible.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32699 on: October 08, 2019, 02:28:23 pm »

Morals won't buy the investors another diamond pony, and that's terrible.

Ah, Butt Stallion.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 2178 2179 [2180] 2181 2182 ... 3515