Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2183 2184 [2185] 2186 2187 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3594109 times)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32760 on: October 09, 2019, 10:34:01 pm »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-record-support-for-trump-impeachment

According to Fox News poll, more than half of voters now want Trump impeached AND removed from office.

Interesting that Trump is viewed mote positively than the Republican party. Must be some cognitive dissonance going on there. It won't last. At this point the Republicans appear completely ****ed. Democrat control of the senate come 2021 looking a little more likely. Once the "usual suspects" start trying to prop up Biden in the Democrat primaries you know the end is near.

yeah its looking like its gonna be an amazing end to 2020 and beginning of 2021. I'd still be okay with biden being up there, even though he is white he was obama's 2nd hand (vice president). I'm personally excited for andrew yang, but biden would be a doable 2nd choice for me. Writing andrew's name in sounds a little wasteful re-reading what I said so I'd vote biden if he was up, but I hope andrew catches on more.

(edit: Also biden isn't popular just cause "obama". Thats what I hear racists say the most. I know no one here has said that, but thought I'd clarify that bit for the random people reading. Its cause many of us know what he stood for as vice president, what he campaigned for how he is. Sure there is no "mystery" really, but that is exactly what many want is someone like obama and biden is pretty close to that as he stood for many of the same ideals and wanted many of the same things as obama did.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:38:00 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32761 on: October 10, 2019, 12:10:39 am »

Don't get cocky. Fox talking about how their whole house is going to come tumbling down is going to motivate fear-ridden republican voters and make democrat voters more complacent.

Keep the pressure up, and don't start celebrating until the last ballot is read.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32762 on: October 10, 2019, 01:32:34 am »

And be vigilant even then.  Many reports of how the voting machines planned for this cycle are vulnerable to attack.

For some reason, the people making these machines just do not comprehend that these things need to be locked up tighter than a nun's cunt. (I would want to state that this is a "feature" for the political elite, rather than being inept at producing units fit for function, but I don't want to go into the conspiracy theory spin-cycle.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #32763 on: October 10, 2019, 01:39:13 am »

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32764 on: October 10, 2019, 02:29:38 am »

Don't get cocky. Fox talking about how their whole house is going to come tumbling down is going to motivate fear-ridden republican voters and make democrat voters more complacent.

Keep the pressure up, and don't start celebrating until the last ballot is read.

A year is indeed a long time In US politics. Right now, the election is the Democrats' to lose. They can still pull it off (losing, that is), and Warren could potentially be brought down by a vicious fear campaign (which of course is why Trump's trying to get Biden discredited), but Trump as president puts the Republicans in a weak position as they can't really expand their base so only have votes to lose. The high Republican voter approval is also a red flag as it seems improbably high. Republicans voters are probably defensively over reporting their preference for him. It looks like a house of cards to me.

Again, Democrats to lose at this point.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32765 on: October 10, 2019, 04:46:53 am »

The logic of some people just astounds me, Trump is saying that we shouldn't help the Kurds because they didn't take part in Normandy and other WWII battles, which he got from a conservative op-ed article (shown in the link). By that op-eds logic, we shouldn't be allies with Israel, because they didn't exist as a nation to take part in WWII! Or for that matter, any number of countries that didn't exist or directly take part in the battles mentioned in that op-ed.

Just some absolutely bonkers logic.....

Y'know, Turkey didn't do a whole of of helping at Normandy either. They joined the allies only a couple of months before the end of the war in Europe, basically when the writing was already on the wall about who the winners were.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/09/politics/turkey-syria-us-anger-ramifications/index.html

EDIT: whole thing makes no sense at all ... unless you theorize that Russia really does have dirt on Trump and they twisted his arm to deliver on Syria now because of the possible impeachment. Doing something like this is electoral suicide for a first-term President only one year out from re-election, so you have to assume there's something bigger than his re-election behind this.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 04:59:07 am by Reelya »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32766 on: October 10, 2019, 07:14:49 am »

And be vigilant even then.  Many reports of how the voting machines planned for this cycle are vulnerable to attack.

For some reason, the people making these machines just do not comprehend that these things need to be locked up tighter than a nun's cunt. (I would want to state that this is a "feature" for the political elite, rather than being inept at producing units fit for function, but I don't want to go into the conspiracy theory spin-cycle.)
Weird, hate to break it to you, but it really is part of the conspiracy to suppress votes, at least usually. in Georgia, they gave the new voting machines contract to someone close to the governor, to build more machines that will have problems, be hard to move around, and "justify" giving almost no machines to black and minority districts. The machines themselves may not be the conspiracy (even though in Georgia they probably are), but they're part of it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32767 on: October 10, 2019, 08:14:34 am »

Weird, hate to break it to you, but it really is part of the conspiracy to suppress votes, at least usually. in Georgia, they gave the new voting machines contract to someone close to the governor, to build more machines that will have problems, be hard to move around, and "justify" giving almost no machines to black and minority districts. The machines themselves may not be the conspiracy (even though in Georgia they probably are), but they're part of it.

They also make ATMs, and have stated it is impossible for a voting machine to be designed that could spit out a receipt showing who you voted for so you know you got what you wanted.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32768 on: October 10, 2019, 08:23:49 am »

it is impossible for a voting machine to be designed that could spit out a receipt showing who you voted for so you know you got what you wanted.
*That's* a freakin' joke. Literally no reason that can't be the case. I'd love to see what kind of illogical nonsense they'd need to invent to make that the case.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32769 on: October 10, 2019, 08:31:26 am »

Uh, no engineering reason, sure. Pretty strong other ones. Abusive family, employers demanding it, various other sorts of pressure, there's like a fucking line of reasons why we don't want any record besides the voter's word of what they, specifically, voted.

E: If they're claiming it's physically impossible rather than just a bad idea they're idjits, though. Just to emphasize that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:36:58 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32770 on: October 10, 2019, 08:48:47 am »

Uh, no engineering reason, sure. Pretty strong other ones. Abusive family, employers demanding it, various other sorts of pressure, there's like a fucking line of reasons why we don't want any record besides the voter's word of what they, specifically, voted.

E: If they're claiming it's physically impossible rather than just a bad idea they're idjits, though. Just to emphasize that.
Look, I don't think it's that big an issue, especially if they don't have names on them.

But even so, we could just use paper ballots. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32771 on: October 10, 2019, 08:58:27 am »

Look, I don't think it's that big an issue, especially if they don't have names on them.

We as a species have a long and ugly history of being shitty to one another. Walking away from a polling place with a slip of paper that either says "Vote: SomeDude McPresidentMan" or a hash that you look up online to verify "Somedude McPresidentMan" would trigger multiple entries on this page regardless of if your individual name is present on that slip of paper.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32772 on: October 10, 2019, 09:01:54 am »

We as a species have a long and ugly history of being shitty to one another. Walking away from a polling place with a slip of paper that either says "Vote: SomeDude McPresidentMan" or a hash that you look up online to verify "Somedude McPresidentMan" would trigger multiple entries on this page regardless of if your individual name is present on that slip of paper.
Let me rephrase. Does people being shitty outweigh our elections being accountable to us?

Again, though, Paper Ballots.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32773 on: October 10, 2019, 09:27:05 am »

Doing something like this is electoral suicide for a first-term President only one year out from re-election, so you have to assume there's something bigger than his re-election behind this.

I want to believe that Russia is twisting Trump's arm over blackmail here, but I'm not sure about it anymore.  Trump appears to have no ability to say no to authoritarians, so if Putin or Erdgogan asked him to do it, he might have just said yes because he wants them to like him.  Especially since in his mind he can spin it as following up on a campaign promise to pull out of the middle east.

The only thing about this that might backfire on him is that he'd never go back on this since it would make him look "weak", and it's going to make the military and some Republican senators mad.  Whether that will lead to any consequences is yet to be seen, but I doubt it.  It doesn't seem to be making any of those senators vocally ready to help impeach him at least, and if I've learned anything from this presidency, Trump can convince staunch conservative voters to vote for him no matter what, and those senators are afraid of becoming targets from Trump's Twitter account where he might try to turn those voters against them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32774 on: October 10, 2019, 09:31:19 am »

Trump appears to have no ability to say no to authoritarians

I have to assume it's because he wants to mimic them. I mean, he's on record as having a favorite dictator, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 2183 2184 [2185] 2186 2187 ... 3515