Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2187 2188 [2189] 2190 2191 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3592137 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32820 on: October 11, 2019, 05:36:57 am »

Thank you for the primer on the history of genetics. It's definitely an interesting area. I'd be tempted to take up research in that area myself, but I find the smell of biology labs a little off-putting.

You're welcome; I left out the chemical side entirely, though. Just a disclaimer for anyone coming along later.

Also, what has the smell of the wet lab to do with genetics anymore? Maybe cloning, at least in labs too poor for proper robots, but all the geneticists I've worked with are literally miles away from the relevant fluid handling because actually running the sequencers is a job for core techs. The actual researchers mostly write code, and their labs mostly smell like tea and/or coffee. I'm the only one in my cohort who even wears a lab coat, and that purely out of habit.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32821 on: October 11, 2019, 06:13:03 am »

I suspected as much. The field has moved very, very quickly. Much faster than I ever expected, actually. Still, my high school science education instilled a profound dislike of anatomical science which helped drive me into the physical sciences and hard matter. That's an interesting area as well, so no regrets there. Truth be told, I'd like to study everything.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32822 on: October 11, 2019, 07:28:14 am »

Yes, Gregor Mendel was a monk, however, his church didn’t teach genetics. Gregor Mendel did studies to learn about genetics. Religions tend not to promote studying, especially not today, when some people dislike science because it questions their religion. Religion never advanced knowledge. Research did and does questioning how the world works did and does, science did and does

Quote from: Scientific Method
Ask Question
Do background Research
Form a hypothesis which is what you think answers the question based on the research you did
Design an experiment that has the ability to disprove your hypothesis
If your hypothesis doesn’t work, publish the results of your experiment and refine your hypothesis
Repeat steps 3-5 until your experiments can no longer disprove your hypothesis, publish results

Publishing results of both failed hypotheses and successful hypotheses will allow future scientists to use your research in the process of creating their own hypotheses and answering their own questions
Quote from: Religion
Read whatever texts are considered sacred depending on which religion you follow
Your religion has all of the answers, questions are useless
Stifle knowledge collection, it could allow people to question your religion
All other religions are false, silence them
In the process, spread your religion
Pretend your religion is nice until your religion gets more power than all others
Use said power to force your religion on others
Ignore the bits of your religion that you don't like, claiming those were for ancient dumb people who didn't know not to shit in the water that shellfish live in
Misinterpret the bit about The Gays"

I trust the differences between science and religion are seen. Also scientists don’t try to silence religion. It’s more like, as they learn more about the world, they realize that whatever religion their parents instilled them with is incorrect, and thus discarded/doesn’t let their religion interfere with their work

Additions curtesy of Mephisto
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:16:33 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32823 on: October 11, 2019, 07:48:42 am »

Bay12Forums: A bastion of thoughtfulness and empathy... unless you're religious or conservative.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #32824 on: October 11, 2019, 07:56:00 am »

That's the price of being inclusive, considering conservatism and religiousness run deep in the exclusionary aspect.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32825 on: October 11, 2019, 08:05:35 am »

Read whatever texts are considered sacred depending on which religion you follow
Pretend your religion is nice until your religion gets more power than all others

You left out "ignore the bits of your religion that you don't like, claiming those were for ancient dumb people who didn't know not to shit in the water that shellfish live in; also misinterpret the bit about The Gays".

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32826 on: October 11, 2019, 08:13:54 am »

You left out "ignore the bits of your religion that you don't like, claiming those were for ancient dumb people who didn't know not to shit in the water that shellfish live in; also misinterpret the bit about The Gays".
Oh yeah, this is how other religions form based off of others. I can add these to the quote

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32827 on: October 11, 2019, 09:06:40 am »

That's the price of being inclusive, considering conservatism and religiousness run deep in the exclusionary aspect.

There's "being inclusive" and there's

Ignore the bits of your religion that you don't like, claiming those were for ancient dumb people who didn't know not to shit in the water that shellfish live in

Everything struck out is ignorant at best and malicious at worst. You can verify this by noting the large number of religious scientists (hi), the history of many religious people of having discussions with people from different religions, and the fact that many religious people are fundamentally nice people, and not just "in spite of" their religion.

You can't lampoon religion for changing and not changing at the same time.

Also scientists don’t try to silence religion.

How would you describe your current activity?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32828 on: October 11, 2019, 09:07:18 am »

Bay12Forums: A bastion of thoughtfulness and empathy... unless you're religious or conservative.
The Railgun thread is actually very nice, typically.

But yeah, modern day religion is very much a case of "Fringe voices being the loudest", with plenty of reasonable churches/mosques/temples/etc. getting their image tarnished by the sects who intentionally try and take back control via ideology.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32829 on: October 11, 2019, 09:44:39 am »

There's "being inclusive" and there's

Everything struck out is ignorant at best and malicious at worst. You can verify this by noting the large number of religious scientists (hi), the history of many religious people of having discussions with people from different religions, and the fact that many religious people are fundamentally nice people, and not just "in spite of" their religion.

You can't lampoon religion for changing and not changing at the same time.

Also scientists don’t try to silence religion.

How would you describe your current activity?
Ah. I see Mephistos’ and your point now. His point is that not all religions are like what I said. I am not against all religion, just the fundamentalist religions. I thought in my quote I mentioned how scientists can be religious if it doesn’t interfere with their work, I might not have mentioned that. I know there are religious scientists, and that’s fine. What’s not fine is religious schools not teaching what science has discovered and misrepresenting what we have discovered. I am for science. I am against those sects of religions that are against science, not against religion as a whole. My original quote without adding Mephisto’s points should have been called fundamentalist religion. Religion is fine so long as it doesn’t eclipse secular laws. When Christianity had lots of power in Europe, they suppressed other religions too. Because religions are often used to gain power. I am not against religion as a whole. I am against one religion suppressing all others.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #32830 on: October 11, 2019, 10:03:56 am »

Then you should definitely have made that clearer, because you didn't come off as "only against fundamentalism", you came off as against religion in general.

Religion isn't the problem. Religion being hijacked by egotists using God's name to justify criminality and hatred is.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32831 on: October 11, 2019, 10:06:35 am »

Then you should definitely have made that clearer, because you didn't come off as "only against fundamentalism", you came off as against religion in general.

Religion isn't the problem. Religion being hijacked by egotists using God's name to justify criminality and hatred is.
Yes. Sorry for not making myself clearer. I agree this is the problem, not religion in general

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #32832 on: October 11, 2019, 10:20:13 am »

That's fair enough, and I butt heads with fundamentalists too. That's why I tend to snap back when people seem to be firing on religion as a whole, rather than the problematic parts.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32833 on: October 11, 2019, 10:47:41 am »

It's also worth pointing out that secular ideologies can go off the deep end equally with any religion, and when they do, if you dissect it, the psychology behind it is extremely similar to religious craziness.

It's more informative to see these as general human failings than try and say that they're because of religion.

Just saying "there is no God" hasn't actually cured us of being fucktards, which shouldn't actually be surprising in the least. You just end up with the same illogical, confirmation-bias ridden neurotics prone to mob mentality, tribalism and hatred, except now they don't think there's a God.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:55:26 am by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #32834 on: October 11, 2019, 11:00:49 am »

Yeah, but at least they don't think there's a god.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 2187 2188 [2189] 2190 2191 ... 3515