Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2188 2189 [2190] 2191 2192 ... 3513

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3581633 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32835 on: October 11, 2019, 11:13:00 am »

It's also worth pointing out that secular ideologies can go off the deep end equally with any religion, and when they do, if you dissect it, the psychology behind it is extremely similar to religious craziness.

It's more informative to see these as general human failings than try and say that they're because of religion.

Just saying "there is no God" hasn't actually cured us of being fucktards, which shouldn't actually be surprising in the least. You just end up with the same illogical, confirmation-bias ridden neurotics prone to mob mentality, tribalism and hatred, except now they don't think there's a God.
Yes. This is true.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32836 on: October 11, 2019, 12:36:58 pm »

That's fair enough, and I butt heads with fundamentalists too. That's why I tend to snap back when people seem to be firing on religion as a whole, rather than the problematic parts.

Even casual religion still generally professes to have some source of absolute truth in its dogma, though, and to blame fundamentalism is to ignore the dangers that can pose. To use the example most relevant to American politics, each version of the Christian Bible is a flawed book written by flawed men, filled with contradictions, factual impossibilities and moral precepts that were written for contemporary rather than modern audiences. It is certainly possible to believe it is morally instructive without being literally true, and to some extent that's required when doing science given methodological naturalism, but that's technically heretical, since the book itself says it's to be read as literally true in a way nothing falsifiable can be. That simplicity is as attractive in some circumstances as it is toxic to rational inquiry. Thus all the contortions and outright fabrications apologeticists go through to distort science until it fits with what, under their worldview, has to be true because it says it is, even and especially when it's demonstrably counterfactual.

Religion is not inherently evil, and fundie assholes would still be assholes as atheists. It is, however, inherently incompatible with how we try to minimize wrongness, and that's dangerous in a scientific and democratic context. Focusing on the fundies can mask the more numerous people who cannot or do not want to restrict their faith and consequent assumptions of absolute truth to those things that are already unfalsifiable and manage their consideration of data accordingly.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32837 on: October 11, 2019, 12:41:29 pm »

Thank you. Watch this video that I found that illustrates the point It is possible to be against religion without advocating for forced silence.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32838 on: October 11, 2019, 12:55:54 pm »

I'm deeply religious, in case you folks hasn't noticed. I don't, however, live in a religious nation, and I don't WANT to live in a religious nation because religion should have nothing to do with government. This applies especially to education. There are all too many (painfully obvious) who feel differently. We're on the same page that integrating religion into government/general education is a bad idea.

On the subject of education and private institutions I'd also like to bring up my own """college""" education with ITT Technical Institute, which was entirely secular and also an outright scam that was shut down by the Federal Government. It takes exactly no religion to abuse the educational system. To be fully balanced here, there are also definitely religious examples.

Before-Post Edit:
Wait. Wait wait wait.

A bishop opposed Gregor Mendel because of the mouse sex? I'm not disputing your claim, but I need a link. I have to see this.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32839 on: October 11, 2019, 12:59:51 pm »

Wait. Wait wait wait.

A bishop opposed Gregor Mendel because of the mouse sex? I'm not disputing your claim, but I need a link. I have to see this.

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/articles/06_00/monk_excerpt.php

There you go.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32840 on: October 11, 2019, 01:04:15 pm »

It says a lot about the Bishop's impression of Mendel.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32841 on: October 11, 2019, 01:20:54 pm »

It was then that Mendel turned to peas, pleased that "the bishop did not understand that plants also have sex."

Ba aha aha ahahahah.

Thank you for this.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32842 on: October 11, 2019, 04:09:13 pm »

It's been a great discussion, but I feel we should perhaps return to politics.

The Turkish Syrian offensive is now in full swing. I can't really put into words how I feel about this. The US are fair-weather friends, it seems.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-12/turkey-offensive-in-syria-displaces-100000/11596458

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32843 on: October 11, 2019, 04:25:53 pm »

yes, I wont be suprised if we manage to turn every nation against us for betraying them, and they should be mad at us. We have betrayed many many "allies"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32844 on: October 11, 2019, 04:46:56 pm »

Civilians were killed in the opening volleys. It hasn't stopped since then.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32845 on: October 11, 2019, 06:44:45 pm »

So then, when does Trump use his unmatched wisdom to obliterate Turkey's economy like he promised?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32846 on: October 11, 2019, 07:01:57 pm »

Don't worry we straight up abandoned a whole lot of civilians to die, but then we can make sure they have to pay money.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32847 on: October 11, 2019, 07:31:12 pm »

Don't worry we straight up abandoned a whole lot of civilians to die, but then we can make sure they have to pay money.

Maybe not the second part, though.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32848 on: October 11, 2019, 07:38:37 pm »

Maybe not the second part, though.

We're gonna let them kill the Kurds, and then Turkey is gonna pay for it! Make America Great Again!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32849 on: October 11, 2019, 08:07:13 pm »

Mr Trump concluded Thursday by tweeting that the US "did our job perfectly" in Syria and now had three choices in dealing with the crisis: send thousands of troops to secure the area; impose economic sanctions on Turkey; or "mediate a deal" between the Turks and the Kurds.

He told reporters he preferred the third option.

Thank God that we have the "Art of the Deal" guy running the show. It's time to make a deal, after you dropped your trousers, bent over, and are being pounded in the butt by the guy you're trying to negotiate with.

EDIT: also note a major point is that the Turks are sending "pro-Turkish" Syrian rebels in, not necessarily just Turkish military units. Those sorts of irregulars can easily turn into a guerilla army that commit atrocities at arms-length from official Turkish forces, similar to how in Iraq the Badr Brigade of ex-pats from Iran ran the police commando squads and were doing mass extra-judicial killings. So it's not just bombing, they're sending in unaffiliated zealots.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:15:32 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2188 2189 [2190] 2191 2192 ... 3513