Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2198 2199 [2200] 2201 2202 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3595549 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #32985 on: October 17, 2019, 12:06:15 pm »

Trump supporters I've seen are defending it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32986 on: October 17, 2019, 12:07:32 pm »

The Doral resort being the G7 site next year or the treatment of the family from Britain?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32987 on: October 17, 2019, 12:09:05 pm »

The Doral resort being the G7 site next year or the treatment of the family from Britain?

Both, probably.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32988 on: October 17, 2019, 12:10:27 pm »

If they weren't defending it, they would have to stop being supporters.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32989 on: October 17, 2019, 12:19:17 pm »

I can't wait to see how much Trump pays himself for hosting official government business at his own properties. Surely we already have rules in place to catch this kind of shit?
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32990 on: October 17, 2019, 12:24:27 pm »

It supposedly violates the constitution but as with vague legal stuff, there is no consensus on it (because apparently the founding fathers didn't imagine that a President who has a global business like Trump would come to power) (/s on no consensus because Republicans) and actual enforcement is another thing entirely. How do you enforce it when the DOJ says that the President is effectively above the law for the duration of his admin?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:27:22 pm by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32991 on: October 17, 2019, 12:28:21 pm »

Doesn't the CBO have any oversight in this?

What really hacks me off is, short of impeachment and/or jail time, Trump will leave office one day richer than when he went in, all paid for by the taxpayers. It's like even if you don't support him, that cocksucker is still robbing us blind.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:30:00 pm by nenjin »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32992 on: October 17, 2019, 12:33:29 pm »

As I implied, the law is only as strong as the enforcement.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:38:26 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32993 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:45 pm »

It's incredibly blatant too. It even makes Dick Cheney's Haliburton contracts look subtle by comparison, although Cheney was handing out contracts for $25 billion or more. Trump has more of an in-your-face "I'm a corrupt tin-pot dictator" feel about him but he's small fry compared to those who are actually talented at being corrupt like Cheney / Rumsfeld.

Trump making people stay in a Trump hotel and use all Trump products while visiting is peanuts compared to the Iraq War stuff. Nobody is that likely to die because of the choice of hotels, whereas Cheney and Rumsfeld were overseeing scam operations where a Haliburton subsidiary drove empty trucks back and forth around Iraq, while the drivers were being shot at, all so they could defraud the American tax payer - it was a "cost plus" contract and KBR (then a division of Haliburton) got paid per trip regardless of what was in the trucks, and military people under Rumsfeld would "verify" the paperwork. Rumsfeld's job was to make sure no whistleblowers from the military got any traction: there were quartermasters in the US army who reported irregularities with Haliburton's paperwork, and they all got replaced.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:47:57 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32994 on: October 17, 2019, 12:40:58 pm »

Mulvaney has also said that it's the cheapest that they can find, which I call BS on because I'm sure there are cheaper options, like say, Camp David (not as glamourous obviously). edit: Apparently it's because the resort is doing it 'at cost', whatever that means.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32995 on: October 17, 2019, 01:02:04 pm »

Don't forget all the rooms people have booked at Trump hotels and never even used, which is the sort of money funnel maneuver that probably seems super smooth if you're 5 and a half years old, but is just goddamn embarrassing when you're a seventy fucking something year old president thinking they're getting away with something clever.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32996 on: October 17, 2019, 01:06:07 pm »

'at cost'

This generally means you pay enough for the business to recoup their losses. Like, there are certain amounts of money a business has to make to break even.

If I can dip into a gaming example for a moment, I occasionally get an "at cost" code for a given product. That product has a price listed on the storefront. Additionally, there are printing and shipping costs. I pay printing and shipping but not the storefront price.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #32997 on: October 17, 2019, 01:11:27 pm »

If there's one thing I've learned about Trump over the years, it's that his success is because of a failure of the fourth estate rather than because of any skill he has. He does not intentionally drum up new gaffes to cover old ones -- the media is, generally, terrible at following up on things. It's a coincidence that Trump happens to be successful in this climate. He's still doing terrible things, but it can't cover up and is the wrong strategy for dealing with an impeachment investigation. But he's going to do it anyway because it's not a strategy, it's just what he does.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32998 on: October 17, 2019, 01:15:09 pm »

'at cost'

This generally means you pay enough for the business to recoup their losses. Like, there are certain amounts of money a business has to make to break even.

If I can dip into a gaming example for a moment, I occasionally get an "at cost" code for a given product. That product has a price listed on the storefront. Additionally, there are printing and shipping costs. I pay printing and shipping but not the storefront price.

I wonder what else is in the agreement that the Doral resort made to host the event, I may be dipping into conspiracy theory here, but there has to be something there. Though I have no idea how often G7 host sites do it 'at cost'. If they REALLY want to dispel accusations of violating the emoluments clause, releasing the agreement text seems like the best way to do that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:17:22 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32999 on: October 17, 2019, 01:23:43 pm »

Mulvaney has also said that it's the cheapest that they can find, which I call BS on because I'm sure there are cheaper options, like say, Camp David (not as glamourous obviously). edit: Apparently it's because the resort is doing it 'at cost', whatever that means.

They can still scam and turn a profit relatively by doing something "at cost". Say they fill the resort with people in the off-season "at cost". Now, they're no longer losing money during that period. Hence, it's a profit compared to what you had and you can "legitimately" claim you're doing it "at cost".

EDIT: there are also cleaning and building maintenance, pool maintenance that they'd probably have to do anyway, but because they're being done during the G7 they then can be included in the "at cost" calculations. Additionally the "at cost" calculations probably account for government spending, and not for voluntary spending by the visiting dignitaries, i.e. at the bars and restaurants at said resort.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:31:55 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2198 2199 [2200] 2201 2202 ... 3515