Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2203 2204 [2205] 2206 2207 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3600772 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33060 on: October 21, 2019, 02:39:09 pm »

especially after he made the promise up front that it'd be done at cost.

Why should I believe what he says?

He said that they could only host at the Doral, and that no other place worked.  Then it got canceled what with the obvious conflict of interest, and said now they're looking at other venues.

They skipped looking anywhere else the first time, Trump just upfront wanted at a Trump property, bedbugs or no bedbugs.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33061 on: October 21, 2019, 02:51:28 pm »

One of the four finalists is in Hawaii (no specifics on where exactly, the other two are in Utah, I’m sure you can guess the fourth) and there is a Trump branded but not owned hotel there. So, if he wanted to have some sort of Trump branded thing at least nearby, there is that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33062 on: October 21, 2019, 08:15:21 pm »

I can't be bothered to dig up a Canadian politics thread, so I'll briefly be reinterpreting the name AmeriPol to give my energy to the New Democratic Party and Jagmeet Singh this election evening, who look like they might be about to make some serious gains on the back of Justin Trudeau's Heated Gaming Moments.

Again Justin, I must say: Amazing performance showing the duplicity of the lib to Canada.

Edit: Well shit, that didn't go great. Turns out Heated Gaming Moments are what the Canadian voters want after all.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:08:02 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33063 on: October 22, 2019, 12:59:39 am »

The brown/blackface stuff is ridiculous and weird as hell, but I don't think it really says that much about him aside from being an out-of-touch rich kid, which isn't exactly news. I'm more pissed off at how he backed out of the promised electoral reform. No doubt the Liberals realized they wouldn't be able to keep their comfy position as the lesser evil once they became the second choice for their strategic voters.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33064 on: October 22, 2019, 07:27:38 am »

The brown/blackface stuff is ridiculous and weird as hell, but I don't think it really says that much about him aside from being an out-of-touch rich kid, which isn't exactly news.
Blackface is hella racist, mate. Repeatedly doing blackface is pretty much an indication that Trudeau is racist.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33065 on: October 22, 2019, 07:35:20 am »

The brown/blackface stuff is ridiculous and weird as hell, but I don't think it really says that much about him aside from being an out-of-touch rich kid, which isn't exactly news.
Blackface is hella racist, mate. Repeatedly doing blackface is pretty much an indication that Trudeau is racist.

I mean, so is his complicity in genocide. The blackface is relatively benign.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33066 on: October 22, 2019, 08:16:33 am »

I never said I condoned it, but I'm going to need more evidence than some poorly thought out costumes from twenty-thirty years ago to conclude "racist". Sure, if any of his current actions were potentially racially motivated it would be a pretty big indicator, but I haven't heard of anything like that. Nor has there been much lasting outrage from actual minority communities, as far as I'm aware.

There are plenty of real reasons to not want the guy in power. For example, pressuring the attorney general for political gain.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33067 on: October 22, 2019, 08:57:00 am »

I never said I condoned it, but I'm going to need more evidence than some poorly thought out costumes from twenty-thirty years ago to conclude "racist". Sure, if any of his current actions were potentially racially motivated it would be a pretty big indicator, but I haven't heard of anything like that. Nor has there been much lasting outrage from actual minority communities, as far as I'm aware.

There are plenty of real reasons to not want the guy in power. For example, pressuring the attorney general for political gain.
This. People shouldn't be held accountable today for fairly minor racial slights from a time period where you couldn't use the telephone and check your Email at the same time. It's silly.

I'm sure Tredau's done some other racist things more recently if Tredau is actually still racist. All him wearing repeated blackface in the 90's should mean is that he was racist in the 90's... And even that should be taken under the advisement that it wasn't seen as particularly racist at the time, popularly. It's entirely possible the guy just didn't realize the implications of what he was doing anyway.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33068 on: October 22, 2019, 09:06:36 am »

Doubt that last bit. Doubt it real fucking hard. There's precious few people that have ever put on blackface without being damn well sure it was racist. The implications were entirely fucking known 20-30 years ago, the potential repercussions for it just weren't particularly there and a lot of folks just didn't care. He could have changed in the interim period, but positing a position of ignorance is a goddamn farce.

General inaction on first nations stuff probably paints him (and much of the government, for that matter) as fairly racist in the current times, just as an example, though. Whether it's more racist than other choices when it comes to people who care about that sort of thing voting, well... that's another question.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33069 on: October 22, 2019, 09:31:33 am »

There's precious few people that have ever put on blackface without being damn well sure it was racist.
Is that actually true, though? Universally? And how do you know?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33070 on: October 22, 2019, 09:45:38 am »

It was my understanding that "blackface" started in similar veins to how Noh theater uses all male casts, and as such female characters are depicted by men.

In this particular case, it was because black people were not allowed in white establishments, due to racial segregation. This did not mean black people did not exist, nor that they did not contribute to stories and culture, and as such, some form of depiction was needed. Enter blackface. 

In this capacity, blackface is not in and of itself racist, much like Noh artists are not misogynistic.

Blackface's existence springs up from an inherently racist practice, however-- Racial segregation. As such, blackface is an icon of racist ideology being depicted. These days there is no reason to have blackface, except in the meta-commentary capacity of playing the role of a period thespian, playing the role of a black person.

Segregation was effectively ended before this guy was a teenager; As such, unless he was dressing for halloween as an early 1900s thespian, he has no business wearing blackface at that period in time.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33071 on: October 22, 2019, 09:52:10 am »

There's precious few people that have ever put on blackface without being damn well sure it was racist.
Is that actually true, though? Universally? And how do you know?
Like, I've been around north american racists all my fucking life. Many of them in the age range in question or older, and yes, from more than just my little slice of shitsville. It's pretty damn true. There's little to no people that indulged that didn't know exactly what they were doing. Shit was not innocent or ignorant, it was unpunished, at the time. It's biting people in the ass years later for good reason.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33072 on: October 22, 2019, 10:01:22 am »

Segregation was effectively ended before this guy was a teenager; As such, unless he was dressing for halloween as an early 1900s thespian, he has no business wearing blackface at that period in time.
But see, it does not follow from: the guy wanted to dress up and was insensitive to how offensive it was; to: the guy is (or even was) a racist.

Like, I've been around north american racists all my fucking life. Many of them in the age range in question or older, and yes, from more than just my little slice of shitsville. It's pretty damn true. There's little to no people that indulged that didn't know exactly what they were doing. Shit was not innocent or ignorant, it was unpunished, at the time. It's biting people in the ass years later for good reason.
That's still generalising your personal experience, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33073 on: October 22, 2019, 10:11:02 am »

Not caring how portraying someone else's race (in the most insensitive way possible) offends them is definitely a feature of racism.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33074 on: October 22, 2019, 10:52:04 am »

As much as I dislike Trudeau, there is a difference between not caring and not knowing.
Pages: 1 ... 2203 2204 [2205] 2206 2207 ... 3515